Eire Óg - A Rebel I Came documentary

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fallon, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Micro

Micro Out of my box

Can you name anywhere other than the most fervently nationalist place in the country, other than the second most?

And I can’t find any info on eire og having played at Feile an Phobail.

I did make a distinction between bands like them and the Tones, but you’re right; on the falls road it’s all one.

Can you name anywhere in the republic? Or anywhere outside west Belfast and Derry?

2. Fallon

Fallon Well-Known Member

Dublin.

3. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

The Wolfe Tones? People here still listen to them who wouldn't dream of actually supporting the PIRA or the CIRA.
    Is it illegal to sing Irish rebel songs in the UK though? I know Roll of Honour was banned from being sung at Celtic matches wasnt it?

4. Fallon

Fallon Well-Known Member

No, pubs in Glasgow City centre are packed every single weekend with bands playing Irish rebel music. The issue with ROH was specific to 'offensive behaviour' at football matches.

Lupa likes this.
  5. Idris2002

Idris2002 SUPPRESSING FIRE

I remember in the ferry terminal in Stranraer, though, there was a big sign that read "no smoking, no drinking, no singing sectarian songs".

6. Fallon

Fallon Well-Known Member

You would never hear a band like Éire Óg sing a sectarian song.

7. Idris2002

Idris2002 SUPPRESSING FIRE

Is sectarianism in the eye - or ear - of the beholder? (or 'behearer')

Anyway, if new songs are being added to the rebel song tradition, that's quite interesting. Are there any similar examples of something like that in the modern world?

8. copliker

copliker ...

At least the other side's headbangers don't pretend to be anything other than what they are. It's just rubbish for consumption by langered culchies in Australia.