1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eeek! I've done a podcast!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by clandestino, Jun 10, 2010.

1. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I recently discovered that I had Garageband on my computer and that it could record podcasts, so I thought I’d give it a go. Here’s the first HDIF Podcast, a mix of indiepop and soul, with rambling commentary from yours truly.

http://www.mixcloud.com/hdif/hdif-podcast-1

Hope you enjoy it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Also I’d be interested to know if you think mixcloud is the best place to host a podcast. This is all very new to me.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It needs jingles with your name in it.

And endless exhortations to tweet something in a la Lauren Laverne.

:)

Seriously, good work fella.

3. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Never heard of mixcloud before, will check it out.
    I use Mevio a fair bit. It's a bit messy to navigate through at times but it's very handy and you get an RSS feed and suchlike and can put it up on iTunes an' all.

(and it's free too)

4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

can you subscribe to someone's podcasts on mixcloud? if not, it's not really a podcast - i've used www.podomatic.com in the past, which is great...

5. ooo

ooo New Member

Listening to it now...

I like your choice of tracks. Keep it up!

But why 'How Does It Feel To Be Loved?'?
    Too happy title for me.

6. clandestino

Cool, thanks. I'll look into Mevio and Podomatic. I've never heard of them before...as I say I'm a bit new to this...!

7. clandestino

Thank you!

How Does It Feel To Be Loved? is my club night, so I thought the podcast might as well have the same name, as it's kind of themed around the club.

8. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

9. clandestino

Haha! Even though I didn't ask, people have tweeted something in. I've had three entire tweets saying nice things. Eat my dust, Lauren Laverne!
    :D

10. Sunspots

Sunspots what's my mission now?...

I've always assumed it was a reference to the last line of wonderful song? :)

It's never struck me as a happy line; quite the opposite! :hmm::)

11. clandestino

Right on both counts.

12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

really enjoying it!
    [​IMG]

...tell us more about the night ian... EDIT: not to worry , googled it!

13. ooo

ooo New Member

Aha!
    Now I'm loving the title.

14. clandestino

15. clandestino

This second one was "recommended" by the Mixcloud "community", whatever that means!

So I am now officially :cool:

Maybe...:hmm::facepalm:

16. mancboy

mancboy deadbeat descending

Really enjoying it! Ta mate. It's good to hear some unselfconscious chattiness.

(That's a compliment btw) ;)

I'd never heard of Wild Nothing - really enjoyed their track though. Appeals to the C86 indie kid that's still in me somewhere. I'm going to give 'Gemini' a listen when I'm done with the podcast...

17. clandestino

Thank you! It's just me talking at my laptop which probably makes it easier. It's like it's not proper somehow, so it's easy to just gabble away like an idiot.

18. clandestino

19. clandestino

Blimey, I'm the number one pick in the Indie section today. Fame at last!

http://www.mixcloud.com/featured/indie/

Plus a DJ for Absolute Radio, who does like a proper show and everything, told his thousands of followers on twitter today that my podcast is "great".

Yah, keep sending in those tweets everyone, big up the posse, where's my can of Top Deck?? I ain't letting this go to my head or nothing.

:facepalm:

20. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

any chance of tracklistings?
    also, i've never been able to download from mixcloud - that could be my idiocy though.

21. clandestino

No chance of a tracklisting, sorry, but they're generally a mixture of indiepop and soul. Not sure if it'd be your kind of thing OU...might be. You can always press stop after ten seconds. :D

I don't know if you can download from Mixcloud. I haven't seen a link to do so. It'd be great if they could add one. But you can download an mp3 from the link just above.

22. Orang Utan

i'm always looking for music that isn't to my usual tastes - it's just a shame you can't see who's played what - this is an essential feature is it not? seems perverse not to provide full info so you can chase up the ones you like.
    i'm not sure i get the point of mixcloud if you can't download from it :confused: how do you get it onto your music player?

23. clandestino

i just think it ruins the surprise. there's usually enough info about the person doing the podcast to get an idea of if you might like it or not. maybe it is perverse not to provide a tracklisting, but i like the idea that not everything has to be immediate or served up to you on a plate.

with mixcloud, you just stream on your computer. but you're right, it would be good if you could download the mixes too.

24. clandestino

by the way, pretty much every other podcast on mixcloud provides a tracklisting, so it's not a reflection on mixcloud, just on me.

25. Orang Utan

i'm intrigued enough to download the mediafire file, but think that you may be putting off potential listeners by not providing tracklists - there's a lot of podcasts out there! if you can live with that, fine. :)

26. clandestino

i know what you mean and i think you're probably right, but i'm happier doing it this way. i've spent eight years of HDIF doing what i think is right even if it's totally at odds with how everything else works, and it seems to be going ok. and the best thing about working that way is that, if it does all mess up, at least you did it how you wanted to do it. whereas if it messed up and you did it how you were told you should do it, you'd feel gutted. that's how i think anyway.

precious, moi?

27. clandestino

28. clandestino

I've added the tracklistings for the first three podcasts to the mixcloud site. I'll add the tracking for the fourth one when I upload number five.

http://www.mixcloud.com/hdif/

29. clandestino

30. clandestino

We've been doing occasional soul, northern soul, girl groups and rock'n'roll club nights at the Buffalo Bar over the last year, and the venue's asked us to do it every month. The first one's in October and I've put together an all-music, no-chat podcast of the stuff that was played at the night we did in April.

You can listen here - http://www.mixcloud.com/hdif/great-big-kiss-podcast-1/