1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDL watch

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Das Uberdog, Oct 31, 2010.

1. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I suspect that his election campaign , if it ever happens, will be a spectacular failure not because of whatever the Liverpool Echo has to say , or whether the far right are split but simply because he won't have built anything on the ground.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. malatesta32

malatesta32 Not Serb. No, Really!

writing a memoir calling yourself the 'Nazi Assassin' was in hindsight, foolish. he is well known round Nogsy so why he's campaigning in another area is odd as it's where he lives with his mum.

3. The39thStep

He explains why on one of his videos

4. malatesta32

Badgers and krink like this.
  5. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Stephen had some fun last night - Zelo Street: Tommy Robinson Calls

6. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Successfully Refuted & Thick

I'd be surprised if he goes back again tonight. That's basically an offer for antifascists to lie in wait.

7. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

8. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

would be nice if someone had another go at knocking a bit of sense into Tommy mk # 3 at some point soon, this 'turning up at peoples house' shctick is getting old already

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    CNT36 and malatesta32 like this.
  9. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

Tommy R will be in Sunderland on the 13th May for a March with the usual suspects - Justice for Chelsey march - A pretty unpleasant tale from all aspects if anyone has been following it

10. Magnus McGinty

It's difficult to oppose because of the nature of the case and the strong local feelings about it. In fact it'd be something they have right if it wasn't the fact the only reason they're bothered is because it involves brown skinned perps and a white victim.

11. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

have only read the few details out there, and seen no response from the OB or anyone repping the accused - but if as cut and dry as it seems, would be madness to oppose the march, arguably it should be supported, despite TR's involvement.

A

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  12. Magnus McGinty

Yep, that's the general consensus.

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

So far so good ;)

14. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

tis a difficult one- the OB have said nothing and no charges yet made- locals are up in arms about this, especially as the woman has gone public and been interviewed by on film TR ( I think ). This may not help the case if it gets to court.

15. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Have you seen this bollocks?

16. The39thStep

Little more than a stunt tbh. Audience very limited to Twitter

17. Magnus McGinty

That Rebel TV has quite a big audience.

MightyTibberton likes this.
  18. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

There was another one where him and Britain first storm a book shop. It's piss funny

He must be skint again

malatesta32 likes this.
  19. Magnus McGinty

50k views. This one is just shy of a million though.

20. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Sneak!

I thought Wetherspoons were supposed to be like the EDL equivalent of a safe harbour :hmm:

21. The39thStep

Almost as many as a video of goats balancing on a ball and about as much impact in the real world.

malatesta32 likes this.
  22. Magnus McGinty

Perhaps so. But what's the left's equivalent? Novara Media which struggles to get beyond 5k views per film?

23. The39thStep

Good question. There probably is a role for short snappy media, in your face facts etc . Normally it's the alt right or the far right that are better at that. Having said that you only have to look at Momentum for a project built on the sands of social media. The EDL had some success because they used social media to bring out a base in the streets but then failed to build a political infrastructure .

24. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

bring back the trews

25. Magnus McGinty

I avoided using Brand as an example but it probably is one.

26. MightyTibberton

MightyTibberton Well-Known Member

Someone who was a victim of GamerGate - which is almost the foundational moment for this whole thing - claims that the Alt-Right game Google, YouTube and social media with fake views/likes and other SEO tricks. They certainly use bots on Twitter. The operating principles of social media are "this is popular, this must be good", and "you like this, people who like this also like this, so here is this" and it is, I believe, relatively easy to manipulate those systems. I've seen in my own internet use, how I can quite aimlessly end up in a sewer of extremist views - the best example is how taking an interest in meditation on YouTube led to Sam Harris (who's written a book on meditation), and not long after I'm in serious Islamophobia territory and you can easily go onwards from there.

Have you seen the Guardian article on similar sorts of shenanigans?

The great British Brexit robbery: how our democracy was hijacked

I left Facebook the day before the Brexit vote because of the way it was going. I saw friends who were Leavers - and not racist in my (sometimes limited) experience of them - go through a sort of radicalisation process in the stuff they were posting links to. I think it was that period of time that I was introduced to Breitbart, a whole host of yer actual famous Fake News! stuff, and the like.

Kids have smart phones from, what age...? And they're getting all their news that way. And the right is winning in that area. Breitbart is by far the most popular news site on Facebook. The right does incredibly well on Twitter. Reddit... 4Chan... Some of the talk of what they've achieved is self-mythologising; some is - I believe - based on dodgy numbers; but they have a huge new platform and they are making very effective use of it, and using it to pull themselves into mainstream media and into mainstream political life. I've interacted with young people online - in forums and comments - who have a completely different set of facts.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but in production values, style, and often content, they are doing very well online at the moment. I think the left should start to play the same game by the same rules. And quickly to be honest.

Jeremiah18.17 likes this.
  27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

28. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

These days the right seems kind of exciting, while the left seems dull, and in its present majority form-now that it has pretty much given up on changing the economic system in favour of lifestyle politics (yes, generalising, I know but...)-a bit like the finger-wagging, right-on teacher telling you how your attitudes are all wrong.

mather and MightyTibberton like this.
  29. malatesta32

30. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Whitchurch man, 24, punched his partner as she gave birth in hospital

Its relative to this thread because:

Nasty piece of shit

Wilf likes this.