1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDL Bolton -live

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by The39thStep, Mar 20, 2010.

1. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

To the EDL and their supporters, all those in the counter demo are UAF, even when many are not and most represent the Bolton community. To the EDL, the counter-demo are represent various authorities who are to blame for letting in Muslims/Jews/immigrant workers* (government, business, etc).

Pollice have just arrested Weyman Bennett on suspicion of conspiracy to commit violent disorder :-/ Must have been something he said.

*delete as appropriate

2. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Are Bolton at home today?

3. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

No, away at Everton.

4. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

To be perfectly honest I think the EDL see the counter protesters as they see rival football fans...

And I think the UAF have just as little understanding about the EDL. To them they are just an offshoot of the BNP, but I don't think there's anything political about the EDL at all. They can't fight each other at football matches any more due to crackdowns by the police so this is another outlet for their racist, macho frustrations

5. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

The Reebok's miles away from the centre anyway.

6. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

My mate (who happens to be the "hazel must go" candidate in Salford) reports being smashed against the wall by police for knacker all. Lots of assaults on peaceful anti-fascists by plod.

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

The UAF kettle doesn't look pretty, riot pigs are shoving everyone back even though there's nowhere for them to go. I can see the batons coming out any minute now :(

e2a: And now the dogs have arrived. How it's considered acceptable to set attack dogs on a confined crowd of people I'll never know.

8. JHE

JHE .

Moors and slogans

I haven't been able to watch any of the live footage, but I did hear a report on the radio news from some reporter in Bolton. In the background could be heard a man shouting 'No pasarán! No pasarán! No pasarán!'.

An interesting choice of slogan! The shouter clearly didn't think English was good enough to convey his meaning, but I wonder what he thinks the footie hooligans of EDL have in common with Franco's fearsome and horribly effective blood-thirsty Muslim volunteers.

If the shouter read the lyrics of Spanish Republican songs, I think he might get a bit of a shock. Here's one song I like and would recommend to him.

Los moros que trajo Franco
    en Madrid quieren entrar
    [The Moors that Franco brought
    want to enter Madrid]

Mientras queden milicianos
    los moros no pasarán
    [While there are militiamen
    the Moors shall not pass]​

Listen to it here: http://fotosdetiempospasados.blogspot.com/2009/06/mientras-queden-milicianos-los-moros-no.html

9. e19896

e19896 kill all ANARCHIST R.I.P.

This report claims that the leader of UAF has been arrested for 'conspiracy to cause violent disorder'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...i-fascists-clash-violent-street-protests.html

The source is not very reliable, but it's hard to see why they'd fib in this case.

If true, this is a frightening signal - people viewed as organisers of protests are at risk of this kind of conspiracy charge.

To date, police have not tried to bring this particular charge in court. There are some questions over whether it is even possible to add conspiracy onto what is already a collective offence.

10. BettyBlue

BettyBlue Killa Rockin Bird

I thought they said that the revolution would not be televised? You will be able to stay home brother. You will be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.

FFS.

11. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

That story is direct from the police (they posted it on the MEN website where the live feed was)

12. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

gosh, aren't you clever and learned and that :rolleyes:

13. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

A couple of elderly people amongst the UAF contingent overcome by it appears police kettling tactics and a UAF middle aged demonstrator with what appears to be head injuries being handcuffed.

Video of it here:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/boltonnews/edl/

Reports of EDL supporters being cleared from a pub, with one arrest.

14. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

I was there for most of the day and as normal for these things most of the time I had that strange mixture of being very board and very tense. The was a barrier erected across the square with us on one side and the EDL on the other.

Police where very aggressive and heavy handed but I think it could have been worse, I never saw any baton charges for example. They would send in snatch squads occasionally who seemed to pick people of almost at random. The fact that they had dogs there was rather worrying though.

Also regarding the size of the Demo the police blocked of a lot of people from getting into the square there there must have been 500 - 1000 people trying to get in who couldn't

As for the EDL I couldn't see much but they where throwing bottles and coins into the crowd. Someone who was not on the demo but with the police as an observer said the police did arrest people who where throwing things but how many I don't know. The police apparently praised the EDL at one point it will be interesting to see if that is still the line tomorrow as things seem to have got a bit more 'lively' on the EDL side towards the end.

P.S. Does anyone else find it hard to type coherently with a cat sleeping in there lap?

15. audiotech

Bennett was reported by both MEN and Bolton News reporters on the ground, on the live feed, that he was calling for calm from UAF supporters there, so the reports a bit suspect on his supposed arrest on conspiracy charges?

16. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Oh yes Marten Smith was arrested to, much earlier then Bennett

17. e19896

Just giving over what I have been told and me own, thought if true then I have deep concern no matter who the person be it very much plays into the thought The EDL are a state front etc and there due in Sheffield, I have to be frank booked a week from Sheffield I have no time to be involved, I shall still remain critical of The UAF another state front, racism a very useful tool when capitalism is failing, get the working class fighting each other setting them up to fail? is the lesson to fucking self evident?

18. skevin

skevin Banned Banned

Except it isn't the working class fighting each other. It's working class football hooligans separated from middle class Tarquins and Tamsins who in reality couldn't fight their way out of a submersed paper bag. The UAF should be very grateful for their kettling imo.

19. JHE

JHE .

You are a bit of a nutter.

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

so the forces of the state were apparently in enumbers' world separating a state front from another state front. move along there, competing state organisations pushing each other, nothing to see here.

returning unwillingly to the real world...

21. e19896

and the point being? so lets say The EDL are just A manifestation of working class anger, we need to look at that anger and why it exist?

22. e19896

and the point being? so lets say The EDL are just A manifestation of working class anger, we need to look at that anger and why it exist?

oh was you part of the real world?

23. JHE

JHE .

But really really clever people accompany every post with...

...despite knowing that 98 or 99% of people who read these boards won't get the joke.

24. e19896

About right but is dose not change the fact within The UAF are working class people who have been used as cannon fodder for the middle class Tarquins and Tamsins jolly on a wet afternoon in Bolton, once more the working class and set to fail along come the Vanguard of leftism/anarchism but then of the 67 nicked will the Vanguard of leftism/anarchism be there when in court we need only look here to see how leftism/anarchism lets down the working class and we ponder the rise of groups like The EDL?

25. ernestolynch

Lol. Boyed.

26. audiotech

From the video feed it looked like trade unionists and students against, mainly self-employed male lard arses, with their younger male followers with acne. I saw very few women amongst the EDL supporters and no one who wasn't pasty faced.

27. ernestolynch

If you need to sit down and try and work it out then you are part of the problem lol!

28. ernestolynch

Hmm.

29. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

I'm surprised the reports say the EDL had that many out. From where I was (on the other side of the square, unsurprisingly) it seemed like there were fewer of them than us. I even said to one Gary Mc at one point that if there was a scrap we'd actually have a chance of winning it for once. When we arrived, and accidentally walked into the wrong half of the square until some friendly skinhead advised us we were probably in the wrong spot, there were less than hundred of them there, tho that was pretty early on. Cops seemed to be arresting people from our side for, essentially, bad language (early on, at least), and demanding that they stop splitting our demo in two, and to let the toher hundred or so people into the square. They only turned on the EDL when they started chucking bottles, rather than just money and lighters.

30. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

a lot of TUists were there, not as many students as might have been expected (less than at Leeds I'd say), a fair few asian lads (once the cops let them into the square) and the usual lefties. Many of whom had dug out ANL badges which were very to the fore, and there were even speakers introduced as 'from the ANL', which I haven't heard for a while.