Ed Sheeran

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by alfajobrob, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

In fairness that's probably happening right now at Gitmo or some similar locale.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

pengaleng and Ceej like this.
  3. Ceej

Ceej Where is my mind?

My 78-year old mum with alzheimers likes him. 'Would you look at the big red head on him - isn't he sweet' was the response to Glastonbury. I listened to a bit. Made tea, had a bath, went on holiday and I swear he was playing the same tune the entire time. Don't dislike him especially but really, really don't get it.

salem likes this.
  4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Looking at man's other posts he seems to recycle the same content a lot. Seems to be a failed musician turned failed critic turned bitter coke-fuelled troll.

Not that he's wrong about Ed Sheeran, but he can slag off Billy Corgan when he's achieved 1% of what Billy has, which will be never.

5. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

I don't think he's terrible, but I do find his music the aural equivalent of magnolia emulsion.

What does piss me off though - and this isn't Sheeran's fault - is that I've seen/heard so many other much more talented singer/songwriter blokes with a guitar over the years that are still burning their own albums and living out of the back of a van.

SpookyFrank and pengaleng like this.
  6. Corax

And in agreement with others - the people I've come across that like him most have almost all been in their 60s or 70s.

pengaleng likes this.
  7. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I'd take issue with OU's earlier assertion that the cool kids don't like Sheeran. I've been amazed to discover that just about all the kids like him. The ones who are into bashment, the ones into afrobeats, the angry punk kids, the clueless year sevens and the reckless upper sixths.

I teach a Physical Theatre technique in year nine called Chair Duets, and I use this video as an example.

Now year nines are 13 and 14 years old, notorious for being stroppy and hard to please. Uniquely for any piece of music, I've never heard a single voice of dissent about this track, and I've probably shown it an average of four times to each of the twelve different classes I've taught the project to.

bubblesmcgrath and Rutita1 like this.
  8. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

It reads like one of your posts about music you don't like.

9. SpookyFrank

But I don't claim to have important opinions, unlike this twat who seems to think he invented grunge then destroyed because it wasn't cool enough for him.

10. killer b

It's Everett True though - that pretty much is what happened.

11. worse than the tortuous edm pop on the radio here in Turkey.

Worse than the worst of flowerpower songwriting.

I mean, how.

12. Corax

Here's a folk influenced singer/songwriter decent bloke with a guitar, with some simlarities to ES that - to me - is infinitely better than Sheeran. He's put the work in, busking and gigging etc, But for some reason hasn't achieved even a fraction of the recognition.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  13. killer b

You know everyone is going to hate him don't you corax? :D

salem likes this.
  14. killer b

(tbf I can't think of anyone who's shoved into the 'singer songrwriter' bracket who isn't totally disgusting. It's a repository for all the shit music I don't need to hear as far a I can tell.)

15. Corax

Yeah, probably :D

They will, however, be utterly wrong :mad:

In all honesty (with the proviso of only applying to people that don't hate the whole genre outright) I don't know how anyone could fail to like some of those tuneful hooks above unless they were just being deliberately contrary.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. SpookyFrank

I like that song he does that goes, 'my mum doesn't know I smoke soapbar coz I spray my clothes with lynx before I put them in the wash'.

But his best tune by far is that one that goes, 'she said she wasn't looking for a relationship but then a week later she got with that bloke who has his own car and they're still together after like two years and I know we only went on one date and she went home at 8.30 but she'll definitely come back to me one day'.

17. Corax

Jack Vettriano should paint for Sheeran's album sleeves, with cover notes written from beyond the grave by Catherine Cookson.

18. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

he's doing 3 or 4 nights in the Millennium Stadium!! :eek:
    bad enough when Coldplay done 2 recently

19. killer b

Jesus man. I actually listened - it's fucking gross. I have no idea why you would like that filth and slag off Sheeran.

20. Corax

You'll be dissing Dreadzone next. :rolleyes:

21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Ye gods man. This guy can play the guitar but needs to decide whether or not he is gonna be a singer or a spoken word poet.

Ed Sheeran writes and plays pop music. He does the clever build your own band thing and people like it. That is why he is more popular.

weltweit likes this.
  22. Corax

The list grows... :hmm: :mad:

23. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

slithertbeast can never approach this - ah fuck yer posing

26. killer b

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They may not be to your taste, but pop songs they most certainly are. He gave Justin Beiber his biggest hit of last year so he knows how to pen them, even if they all sound like the same dollop of bland shmucky shite.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  28. killer b

I didn't say they weren't pop songs, just that they were shit. Skillfully crafted, carefully targeted lumps of gold plated shit, no doubt - but shit nonetheless.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  29. Corax

Gaz wrote most of Dummy, Mezzanine, and Ill Communication. Never gets credited for any of them.

30. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

(surprised how many people know the lyrics tbh)