Ed Sheeran

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by alfajobrob, Mar 3, 2017.

1. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Better than most of what I've heard to be fair.

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

He's very varied. He's not just Mr Autotune

dialectician likes this.
  3. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

Kanye West is massively talented, and his performance at Glastonbury the other year was fabulous.

Cheesypoof and Orang Utan like this.
  4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

So no encores from Ed? I was finding that strangely compelling. Was curious to see how far my toes could actually curl.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  5. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy Banned

kanye is shite. my 'like' is a complete joke. *weeps*

6. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy Banned

oh yes.....what song was that again???:mad::rolleyes::facepalm:

7. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

yes...this is the thing about him that's so irksome. the whole "I'm a bad boy...no really, I really am...MOM! Moooooooommmmmmmm! Tell them that I'm a bad boy, they don't believe me!"

and also I don't want to think about him being in love with someone's body. his songs used to be earnest and a bit naive and that worked for him.

salem likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

he performed a number of songs

9. Orang Utan

you probably think he is shite cos he's not a druggy mess

Rutita1 likes this.
  10. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I dislike Kanye West but at least he's interesting. Unlike the puddle of warm piss that is Ed Sheeran.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

the second time 'ye crashed someones speech at an awards gig to lay down praise for Beyonce, Jay-Z pulled the funniest most obvious disbelief face I have ever seen. You could read his mind right there on his face 'the fuck...'ye..again, jesus'

12. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

He said: “I have a relationship with Dan and Bizarre that goes back to the very first single.

“They actually supported me before my first single when I came in to perform this (The A Team) in a Bizarre session. So thanks very much for having me for that.”
    Guests at the very special Bizarre gig were also treated to sets from legendary DJ FATBOY SLIM and Virgin Radio’s star host EDITH BOWMAN.

14. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

I've largely ignored sheeran until this past weekend. I was baffled for ages at his success, I still am amazed by it but I understand it now. He's as popular as he is because of a combination of luck, having a good back story and being savvy as fuck with the business side of it. The last bit being the most important bit.

He's managed to incorporate into his act all kinds of image and blandness that sells to people who aren't really into music beyond 'ooh that's a nice song' type reaction to it.

First of all he does actually exhibit talent, sure his songs are shite (IMO) but he can write a simple tune that's just there, inoffensive, catchy etc. He does all that on his own using a crappy guitar and some effects pedals. So he's incorporated a punk DIY ethos into writing Mumford and sons type songs. It's a novelty act too, guy on his own doing that is novel to a lot of people. He's also nailed the whole soft spoken singer song writer angle, he raps, he does celtic music even! He's even had a crack at a dance hall type rhythm with his shape of you song, he's done grime collaboration with Stormzy. There's the song that's about being in love until old age. His lyrics are a combination of sweet, cliché inoffensiveness and kinda edgy stuff about drug addicted prostitutes. He nails all angles musically.

Now let's look at his image. He has that kind, non threatening air about him, soft spoken, funny and a bit cheeky and non pretentious. He combines that with 'ooh he's got a bit of edge with those tattoos' he dresses kinda scruffy with a scruffy beard, think about it teenage girls love him for his non threatening edginess and their mums think 'Aww bless him, he's so talented and sweet. He's a bit scruffy too, I could smarten him up.' He embodies a type of backlash against the whole polished look of the corporate music world by just being and looking like an ordinary bloke you'd see shopping in HMV, he does that at the same time as being a perfectly marketable wet dream for the corporate music world for the reasons I've mentioned. The fact he's that backlash is what makes him so marketable, think of him like the guy fawkes mask of the modern recording industry.

Finally, he has a back story that's perfect. It's one of suffering for it through being skint and homeless, being bold and brave in the pursuit of a dream by doing things like going to America with no contacts, no money, but playing every single open mic night he could find. There's the luck element of it by meeting Jamie Foxx at one of those nights and forming a friendship with him and being able to record at his studio. It's self releasing those EPs he recorded and flogging them out of a back pack.

A special mention is his savvy use of social media as well as his savvyness for writing music that hits all kinds of demographics. He built up a huge following on it and he used it to force record executives hands. For example they refused to add his A Team song onto a playlist because of its subject matter so he went on social media, announced he was doing free gigs, packed those shows out and said 'see, I can pack venues out so play me.'

So add all that up and you have a very confident, savvy, talented song writer who's a marketing man's wet dream. I think his music is largely shite but I do admire him for playing the whole business side of it like a violin.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    salem, cypher79, Spod and 2 others like this.
  15. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

Good on him, but his music is still fucking atrocious. :thumbs:

Doctor Carrot likes this.
  16. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

The guy from snow patrol actually writes most of his 'hits'. He's also just been pinged for $20 million for ripping off an x-factor winner's song on his new album, in the most blatant case of plagiarism I've ever heard.

Ed Sheeran may regret Photograph that led to $20m copyright case

17. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

I think he also had to pay out to the writer of No Scrubs (TLC) for the album's biggest hit and quietly changed the songwriting credits on the album

18. killer b

Everything about sheeran is constructed. The whole origin legend as a struggling artist making it by sheer force of will is made up too.

19. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Yeah. It may be true that he has been technically homeless at some point. But during the two-year period he describes himself as homeless, he was finding enough money for the studio time, design, manufacture and distribution costs so that he could to release a CD every few months using his dad's "art and media" consultancy as a label, as well as to play gigs around the country and in the States. Possibly not classic rags-to-riches.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  20. killer b

There was a story this week about how far he'd come since a tweet from 2011 when he asked if there was anyone in Preston who'd give him a shower and a brew in exchange for a song (he was playing here that day) - I know the owner of the venue who'd booked him for that gig and it had sold out within an hour of tickets going on sale, with people desperate to get in ringing the pub constantly in the weeks running up to it. He had a room to stay in, a shower to shower in and as many brews as he wanted - so the tweet was entirely about maintaining the fiction of a wandering rootless troubadour.

21. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Aye, maybe, but is it really any different to Dylan pretending to be an "Okie orphan"?

Authenticity is for jazz, folk, and classical music - not for the ramalama.

22. Idris2002

You mean - he's a phony?

[​IMG]

23. Orang Utan

smoking illegal weed

24. Idris2002

"We stayed up until 1 o'clock - in the morning!"

Orang Utan likes this.
  25. Idris2002

26. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about that, but I don't think it's a question of how "authentic" Sheeran is compared to anyone else. Just don't give him respect on the basis of a bogus backstory. The thing with Dylan is that, whatever lies he might have told the media, he at least had some worthwhile songs.

27. Doctor Carrot

Constructed or not constructed, writes his own songs or not. The point is the whole package is there and that's why he's as popular as he is.

28. Doctor Carrot

What's 20 million when you made 60 million in one year? And will make the same again this year.

Don't mistake my post for support of him. I think his music is god awful shite but I think what I wrote does explain his popularity.

29. Idris2002

Yes, and that's why I can't really get on the "Ed Sheeran Ginger Hitler" train.

Doctor Carrot likes this.
  30. Doctor Carrot

Haha yeah. I mentioned to my friend how his Glastonbury performance looked like we'd travelled to a despotic future and we were witnessing a mass rally for the dear leader. It was only a matter of time before people like me were herded into work camps and forced to print t shirts with his face on whilst listening to his albums on repeat and at ear splitting volume... A chilling prospect.