Earthquake hits East of UK

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by S☼I, Jun 10, 2018.

1. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

Just sounded like someone pulled up outside with their bass on too loud.

Once I'd checked the refinery wasn't producing any more flame than usual everything was alright.

Felt as far away as York, Peterborough, Leeds, etc

3.9. Pretty minor.

Disappointing thread, really.

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I’ve never felt one of these English ‘earthquakes’ and I want to. I felt some tremors in LA tho which were pretty rad.

ice-is-forming and S☼I like this.
  3. S☼I

The UK one we had a few years ago was much stronger and longer. Sort of kept feeling it in your body long after it had gone, like you get after using a lift a lot.

I wouldn't like to experience a proper one.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  4. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Must've been drowned out by the vibrations from my bass speakers here in North London.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  5. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is coming......

Nooo so cool :thumbs: You've lived through an earth quake! Lucky man *fist bump*

I don't think I've ever been in one, probably have but didn't notice maybe?

It's on my natural phenomenon bucket list..

6. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is coming......

Only time I've ever been to LA was in Jan (?) 1993, just literally after that really big one. It was fucked! It was supposed to be a three day stopover. Coming back to England via nz & usa..

7. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I lived in San Francisco and San Jose for about six months and it took me weeks to get used to the daily tremors. Not one else seemed to notice most of them but they always woke me up if they happened at night and always made me feel like I’d gone over a hump backed bridge or made me feel dizzy.

And I’ve been in two earthquakes in Greece. One of them was big enough to kill people but everyone on the island said it was small, nothing to worry about, fairly standard stuff so we never bothered phoning home. Driving into Athens, we could see that it had been a big one because buildings had collapsed and the hotel we were in was damaged (plaster off the wall, cracked sink in the bathroom). When we got home the ansamachine was totally filled up with panicky messages from friends and family trying to find out if we were safe.

Never felt one here in the UK though.

8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

First quake was in Dublin back in '86, iirc. Thought it was my mom and sister shaking my bed to wake me!

Here in Japan, they're regular. Used to take note of them - magnitudes etc but am just bored by them now. Unless it's a scary one, of course!

ice-is-forming and cupid_stunt like this.
  9. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic cnut, & all round knob-head.

In the late 80s I had a 2nd floor flat in Taunton, a mate was around, he was sitting on the sofa & me in an armchair, when both started shaking for a moment, we put in down to being extremely stoned at the time!

Next morning the news was reporting an earthquake somewhere in the midlands that had been felt as far away as Taunton, mystery solved!

ice-is-forming and krtek a houby like this.
  10. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

I must have slept through it. Felt (or heard really) the one at Hull a few years back.

I see it was in Lincolnshire. That's not proper East...

11. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

Hmm, just north of Smugness, home of the Evil Sister in law in the East. Maybe she's right, and there is a god. Crap aim, though.

kebabking likes this.
  12. S☼I

I'm on the the coast! Any more east and I'm wet!
    Where I live isn't proper North, either, according to some, despite being exactly as far north as Manchester...

BlueSquareThing and cupid_stunt like this.
  13. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Felt an aftershock on a beach in Luzon (Philippines) in 2015 and the whole beach shifted from side to side under my bum. That was fun.

Two days later was in a brothel hotel (it was cheap) with my gf in Manila at 3am and a 6.2 hit. Was desperately holding on to the bed for what seemed like forever. That knocked the 'fun' out of it. Scary.

ice-is-forming, cupid_stunt and S☼I like this.
  14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

cupid_stunt likes this.