E-dinburgh-tertaining a toddler.

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by mrs quoad, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

We venture forth to Edinburgh, yon weekend yonder. Yon cat will be farmed out to cat keepers, but the toddler cannot be parsed.

What tremendous things do 3yos love to do in Edinburgh? Obviously drink coffee (and I have sourced a list of all coffee shops supplied by Square Mile in Edinburgh).

I hear there is also a tourist bus trail of the city, which is good for toddlers who like buses.

What else? I am informed that the castle is overpriced and a bit shite for 3yos (?) But that the MoScotland has an awsum free gallery for under fives.

Other words have been flung at me, like "dynamic earth," and "national museum."

Any thoughts or critiques warmly appreciated. It currently looks brisk, but passably dry.

Tah.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

toddlers love sleeping in nice warm pubs while their parents enjoy sampling a range of single malts etc

UnderAnOpenSky and Celyn like this.
  3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

There's a few great whisky shops. You could do a tasting.

3 year-olds love a single malt, right?

kebabking likes this.
  4. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Chambers Street Museum is excellent, very child friendly and free. Dynamic Earth is fun with older kids but quite expensive and might be a bit over a 3 year old's head. Edinburgh Zoo is huge and well worth a visit, it's on a steep hillside so be prepared to do some carrying though. You could take him for a trip on the tram if he is quite bus-fixated too. There's a good free playground at the west end of Princes Street Gardens which is also full of nice running around/rolling down grassy slopes space. There's an excellent huge free playground at the east end of the Meadows if you're staying anywhere near there.

5. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Who doesn't love a Jimmy hat? Good for hours of entertainment.

kebabking and quimcunx like this.
  6. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

The camera obscura seems a bit expensive for what it is (especially on a cloudy day) but, perhaps because of this, it's got a big room of optical illusions to play with eg a dish of sweeties that you can try and touch but it isn't really there. I enjoyed it and spent ages in the infinity mirror tunnel but we didn't have a child with us. Also it is on the Royal Mile so very central.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    mrs quoad and weepiper like this.
  7. AllEternalsHeck

AllEternalsHeck Well-Known Member

Seconding the zoo it's great. Takes a few hours to go round the whole thing, tons to see in there.

mrs quoad likes this.
  8. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

My two year old loved Edinburgh but her favourite thing was blackberry picking and shell collecting on Cramond Island. Will need wellies and to check tide times in advance. We told her it's called Magic Island and she's still talking about it three weeks later.

Deep sea world is quite cool too.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Don't do the zoo unlesss it's hot and sunny. Those animals aren't stupid. They'll be hiding. Couldn't even get the fucking penguins out last time I was there.

10. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Agree with the zoo certainly and I'd leave the castle till they're older.

Lots of those coffee shops also supply cup cakes and the like - some fancy enough ones with OK prices iirc. Enough to fill up a toddler I should think. The hot chocolate in the cafe on the top floor of Jenners was good enough for my rather older child and the view over towards the castle is pretty good.

If you fancy a bit of a walk at any point, Calton Hill is just to the east of Princes Street. Not too far, not too high and with good views down to Leith. And you could probably see and hear the one o'clock gun from there as well I'd say.

mrs quoad and kebabking like this.
  11. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

There's also the botanic gardens, which I think is one of the tourist bus stops. If the toddler likes trains waverley can provide endless hours of entertainment :)

12. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Oh yes the botanic gardens is a good place for a littlie :)

mrs quoad, kebabking and equationgirl like this.
  13. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Botanics are ace. Hothouses are laid entry now but only a few quid, and you can sneak in at the back door if you want/need.

We've spent a lot of spare time at the zoo this year as me mam bought us membership for Xmas. Is good, but fuck me it's expensive if you pay on the door.

Tram should be fun for a kid who likes public transport.

Definitely the museum. There's a kids area with child focussed exhibits like musical floor, shape sorters, shadow theatre etc. Before I started working, my Friday used to be spent letting little man run round in there till he'd had enough and I could go to mosque kitchen and at curry in peace.

Mosque kitchen for lunch.

Filmhouse do child friendly film viewings occasionally if wee un might be into that and there's something on.

Good play areas in the meadows and princes street gardens. Plus Leith links if you end up down that way. The tour bus goes there to see the queen's old floating house.

Museum of childhood is on the royal mile and from memory is surprisingly staid given its name and purpose but it's free.

The castle is a bit rubbish and expensive, but you can get good views for free from the esplanade. awesome views from atop Calton hill too - and there's an art gallery up top where you can say hello to Mrs The Boy if you so wish.

Waving at trains from the footbridge in princes street gardens.

Farmers market at castle terrace car park on Saturdays if that sort of thing appeals. Mine is only 1 so the hustle and bustle appeals greatly to him, but I imagine a 3 year old is a bit different.

mrs quoad and kebabking like this.
  14. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

I think there are five open topped bus routes...

Definitely echo Carlton Hill for a bit of fresh air running around, same for the botanics, I would recommend the castle - though with a toddler you may not get the whole experience, and boy is it an overdraft enhancing episode - but it is pretty spectacular, and my little ones enjoyed it.

I'd be very tempted to recommend taking a back carrier - Edinburgh is a such a beautiful, spectacular, fascinating place that you'll end up walking the streets for hours on end, which a toddler may not appreciate. To the chargrin of all...

Weather for this weekend looks good, but with the wind it may feel rather cooler than you think it will. Prepare to wrap up..

15. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel Banned Banned

I remember nothing of when I was three. I suggest therefore that it doesn't matter what you have them do.

16. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I remember holidays (in Edinburgh!) at my grandad's house from before the age of two. Maybe you just had a boring childhood.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    equationgirl and geminisnake like this.
  17. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

I remember nothing of when I was three. I'll bet my mortgage tho on the fact that there were things I enjoyed doing more than others.

And that I was better company for those in charge of me during those times too.

18. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Total LOL at this :D On the plus side if it's not hot the giraffes shouldn't stink, they may be cleaner than they were 20ish yrs ago but my everlasting impression of giraffes is they smell BAD!!
    There's a butterfly place, somewhere in/near Edinburgh, I'd take a 3 yr old there (and possibly to the Ikea creche :D )

19. mrs quoad

We saw a bin fire today.

We sat and watched it for a while.

A man came out of a shop, and put the bin fire out with half of a bucket of water.

And explained that it happens all the time. (The ashtray on top of the bin has holes in).

Then the fire engine came.

Three firemen looked at the bin fire. Which was now out. They confirmed it was now out. They then drove away.

This will be the toddler's take home from this weekend; from start to end, this was pretty much one of his most awesome experiences, ever.

(We have also visited the national museum, childhood museum, Arthur's seat and Carlton Hill; and spent about 3hrs on an open bus today, particularly in the moments w/ howling wind and rain. I believe my wife has ambitions towards a modern art gallery tomorrow, which apparently the toddler will love. Fingers crossed!)

And ty, all. Comments here structured our intentions. Thumbs.

Celyn, Saffy, AllEternalsHeck and 8 others like this.
  20. mrs quoad

21. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

When my nephew came to London to visit (from Glasgow) at about that age, the best thing *ever* were the London buses. And all the sirens on Euston Rd when we left the station.

kebabking likes this.
  22. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Etertaining? :hmm:

Glad it went well :thumbs:

spanglechick likes this.
  23. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

if that had happened in Glasgow someone would have stuck a grill tray on top of the bin and started cooking sausages in it, giving them away to passers by for free.
    I love Glasgow :)

IMG_0015.JPG

equationgirl likes this.
  24. mrs quoad

Botanic gardens closed due to winds. Toddler ecstatic; greatly prefers time spent on buses to gardens.

equationgirl and kebabking like this.
  25. mrs quoad

He actually went totally batshit, and the day descended into an unmitigated catastrophe that words can barely do justice to.

We massively failed to take into account that the *second* bus from the Botanic Gardens to the modern art place only ran every hour, or to take into account the fact that the toddler would go grade-A batshit every time we had to get off a bus, because he wanted to spend all day on buses, and having formed an attachment to a bus, he was fucked if any fucker was going to get him off it. Leaving him in an utterly foul temper by the time we hit the art gallery.

He then went additionally batshit when we tried to actually go in, so I sat outside with him, and he went so batshit / hysterical (bc his mum had gone in) that he put on a display of howling that his mum could hear up two stories, and through about two feet of solid granite walls.

Then we went back into town, and totally fucked up our communications, so that we picked up all our luggage from the hotel with about 3 hours to spare, with my wife not wanting to go anywhere with luggage, so we sat by a Costa in a park getting really fucking cold whilst the toddler howled until our train finally left.

(Our train was delayed by about 1.5 hours. Thereby winning us both 1.5 hours of complete hell with the most angry commuters ever, a cancellation of all seat reservations, a desperate scramble for seats, *and* a complete refund of our advance-bought-and-so-dirt-cheap tickets.)

kabbes and Saffy like this.
  26. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

Sorry your trip ended like that mrs quoad but it did make me chuckle. It sounded similar to my own trips with my bus obsessed son.
    He's over that now BTW... It's all about drums/drumkits these days.

equationgirl and mrs quoad like this.
  27. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Erm, is that an improvement..? :hmm:

Saffy likes this.