Dyeing leather boots

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Oula, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Oula

Oula You front the money, I'll do all the talking

Anyone dyed boots before? I want to make some tan ones black. Have googled but would appreciate advice from anyone who's done it.

2. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Two ways:
    1. Surface dye like this: Dylon Shoe Dye | Timpsons Shoe Dye | Shoe Dye Kit by Timpson or Tarrago Shoe Dye Tarrago Shoe Dye
    Requires very thorough prep to remove previous finishes, treatment and grease, and not brilliant on leather that has to crinkle or crease a lot, for example across toes, because it will split and flake in time. However, it comes in great colours and can even make dark colours light.

2. Penetration dye like this Fiebings Leather Dye Fiebings Leather Dye - soaks in deep, requires less prep than the surface dye, and doesn't flake off in creases. Can only be used to make leather darker.

What to choose will depend on the current finish on the boots. Got any pics?

Oula likes this.
  3. Oula

Thank you, that's very useful

Will take some tomorrow

4. Oula

IMG_20190910_090929.jpg

Having looked at all the colour options on the Feibings link that you posted moose I'm now thinking of doing them red. I assume if I don't like the red I'd be able to due black over the top as it was suggesting doing a two stage dye of a colour like red and then black to get from a light colour to a darker colou . Do you think it would work changing this colour to red?

5. Oula

Do you need a closer up picture to see the finish?

6. moose

A closer pic would be good - but obvs I couldn't guarantee 100% it'd work by looking at a pic. You should do a little test in an inconspicuous place before going the whole hog.
    Yes, red would go black if you wanted - I did some Dr Martens sandals dark red then went over them with black a year later. If you go use Fiebings, make sure you wear gloves and put newspaper down, and lock up small children and animals - it stains everything it touches! :eek: And you might need Deglazer or some other cleaning product to prep the leather.

Oula likes this.
  7. Oula

IMG_20190911_095807.jpg IMG_20190911_095807.jpg

Does that help at all moose?

Attached Files:

8. moose

Yeah they should work. But because the dye is transparent, all those little white and dark spots will show up, so make sure you clean them thoroughly first.

9. Oula

Thank you. Something I read suggested cleaning with dilute leather bleach. Does that sound like a good idea?

10. Oula

11. moose

I've always use Fiebings Deglazer, which is a lethal solvent - not sure what leather bleach is!
    One more top tip with Fiebings: try to buy the pack that comes with the wool dauber, or get one separately - they're the best thing for application.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 23.39.06.png

12. 8115

8115 Macaroni straws.

The thread may not dye, bear this in mind, I think they use a special kind of thread maybe waxed but when I've dyed clothes sometimes the thread doesn't take the dye.

13. Oula

I was planning to use the deglazer but the thing I read said to clean them even before that work leather bleach - I think it was American though so I don't know what an English alternative is. Did you just go straight for it with the deglazer?

I had been looking at those little ball things, good to know they are worth it. Didn't know you can get them included with the Feibings. I can only find them in packs of
    20 at the moment. Will keep looking.

Good point. I think that will look OK

14. moose

Tr Le Prevo in Newcastle, they have a website and sell on eBay. No glasses on so can’t find link but it’s in the thread I just accidentally posted on and bumped :D

Oula likes this.
  15. Oula

Dying in progress IMG_20190919_213042.jpg

danski, spanglechick, pug and 3 others like this.
  16. moose

Looking good. You'll need a clear polish over the top when they're completely dry in a few days.

Oula likes this.