Dutch “Precision farming"

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by HAL9000, Nov 17, 2018.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

Future of farming?

2nd largest vegetable exporter in the world. They use greenhouses and aim to control everything, 80% of cultivated land is under glass.

15 minutes 38 seconds to 21 minutes

Newsday - Brexit: UK PM Secures Cabinet Approval for Deal - BBC Sounds

If farmers can close the loop and recycle the water they use to minimise pesticide/fertiliser run off, if its cost effective and the energy to drive this is low carbon. This looks like the future of farming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stuff_it and NoXion like this.
  2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Bit of a blight on the landscape though.

I suppose that is reclaimed sea though so perhaps no matter.

3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Heard a thing on R4 about it the other day, can't remember which programme. It didn't sound too awful. They had a lot of insects (only the right ones obv)

Lupa likes this.
  4. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Think of all the energy required to make acres of glass. :(

Lupa likes this.
  5. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

Great idea. It's only going to become more relevant and necessary as climate change puts the squeeze on the quality and extent of arable land throughout this century.

Won't be an issue if we make use of nuclear fission and large-scale renewables.

6. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Is that a kid's football in the first pic? Might not be the best idea :facepalm:.

skyscraper101, salem, tim and 4 others like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like a vision of a colonised Mars.

skyscraper101, HAL9000 and Edie like this.
  8. Lupa

Lupa A loving heart is the truest wisdom

:D

Edie likes this.
  9. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Can’t help but think that that is gonna go horribly wrong. With such a restricted ecosystem that you’ll have huge pandemics, or weird blooms of growth, then mass extinction, or something weird.

8ball, kebabking, Idaho and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Probably supports about the same level of wildlife as well.

kebabking likes this.
  11. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I once watched a series of documentaries on the theme of the inherent unpredictability (and hence the impossibility of controlling) organic life. So, if I've understood correctly, many of these Dutch farmers run a very real risk of bring eaten by a dinosaur.

trabuquera, Crispy, kebabking and 2 others like this.
  12. NoXion

It's been nearly twenty years since they took their agriculture in this direction, and the Netherlands is still the 2nd biggest agricultural exporter in the world. It's precisely because they have more controlled conditions than conventional agriculture that they don't get that kind of thing happening. How much longer and to what degree does the Netherlands have to continue succeeding as they do before your concerns are allayed?

If more countries grew food like this then we wouldn't need to devote so much land to agriculture.

13. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Tbh NoXion I dunno what the hell I’m talking about, it was just a passing question/concern. I’ll bow to your greater knowledge with this one!

14. NoXion

I'm not sure that I do know more about this than you; I was just wondering what your concerns were based on. I do know that in general, monocultural approaches to agriculture are not very robust, but I don't think that's the focus here. The Dutch approach appears to compatible with a wide variety of different crops.

15. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

What about the sand shortage?

16. NoXion

There isn't actually a shortage of sand. There's a shortage of profitable ways of digging it up.

quimcunx likes this.
  17. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Not to mention the loss of general biodiversity when there are no hedgerows etc. outside the AgriMegaDomes.

18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I like it. We should be doing more of it here instead of importing so much.

I see dozens of flower delivery trucks, all Dutch, bringing flowers into London every day. I see no reason why they can't setup some comparable size operation to grow the same stuff, food, flowers etc. without having to import so much by road and sea freight.

19. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

What about the shortage of profitable ways of digging up sand?

20. NoXion

What about it? The trend nowadays is to use artificial sand instead.

21. NoXion

Well, the Netherlands is certainly closer to us than Kenya.

22. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

There are those odd quirks like tomatoes grown in Spain being much less carbon-intensive than those grown here in polytunnels.
    It's a complicated thing to comment on authoratively, I think.

23. NoXion

You're right, but I would be very surprised if the specific case of roses flown in from Kenya was one of those quirks.

24. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

With regard to the flowers Holland imports and auctions flowers from all over the world.The Dutch trucks delivering flowers in London are just as likely to have flowers produced with child labour in Colombia as actual Dutch flowers.

25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

:(

We should at least be using our own child labour.

nogojones likes this.