Dumfries for lunch - suggestions pls

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by Throbbing Angel, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

Hi,

I'll be meeting up with TA Snr in DMF in a couple of weeks time - where's good for lunch in the City Centre - say between the train station and Whitesands - any ideas, suggestions, warnings??

Cheers in advance

2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Depends what you want. It's not reknowned for its cuisine but...

Cavens in Buccleuch St -- pub with reasonable food. There's also a Wetherspoons in the same street.

Hullabaloo in the Robert Burns Centre -- v good selection of veggie/vegan stuff as well as meat dishes.

India Palms in Buccleuch St -- not very good Indian.

There are a few reasonable Italians but not sure they're open at lunchtime.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Oh, and 'City Centre' is a wee bit optimistic ;).
    It's not a v big place.

If you've a car, pick up a parking disk thing from Tourist Information on the Whitesands. Parking should be free but you need one of them.

geminisnake likes this.
  4. Throbbing Angel

I've been before - thought it was a city - it is small I suppose. My aging Da will no doubt hate/find fault with wherever we go so I may as well enjoy it. Have been to The Old Bank on Irish Street a couple of times in the past and found that enjoyable for afternoon tea type deals.

I'm getting the train up to see him and coming back the same day so can't stray too far really.

I'll tell him about the disk thing - I don't suppose he'll have one as he lives out near the coast and rarely visits Dumfries.

Sue likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. Well all those places are v central -- it's about 15-20 minutes to walk from the station to the Sands and all those places are on the way (apart from the Burns centre which is on the river right across from the Sands).

6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

If I was going to Dumfries, I'd go to Wigtown instead.

equationgirl and geminisnake like this.
  7. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

It's not *that* bad. :(

8. Throbbing Angel

The Burns Centre appeals to me most I think - the map I'm looking at shows Hullaballoo as being up the road from the RBCFT - I thought they were in the same building, no? If the weather's fine I might do the camera obscura again.

danny la rouge I'm not in the car Danny, otherwise, I might go and sniff a few books :)

danny la rouge likes this.
  9. danny la rouge

I was just being sarcy.

I don't know Dumfries well. But I used to gig in Newton Stewart.

10. Throbbing Angel

Ah right - that's where me Da lives :) nice little place - didn't one of the KLF come from there?

11. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

It is in the RBC -- equidistant between the Devorgilla (the sandstone pedestrian) and suspension bridges. There're separate vegan/gluten-free menus but you need to ask for them.

The Camera Obscura'll probably be closed alas -- it certainly used to close between October and Easter ish. Burns House and mausoleum are not far away and worth a look if you've not been before.

12. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

KLF indeed. Dumfries has Calvin Harris. :thumbs:

pogofish and Throbbing Angel like this.
  13. danny la rouge

Bill Drummond, yes.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  14. Throbbing Angel

Cheers for that Sue - very helpful - hadn't thought it might be closed - I know they shut it if it is raining :)

I'll have to see how I'm doing for time as I'm only there for 6 hours to see the old man.
    Paypal and theTrainline discounts made it plenty much cheap to nip up for the afternoon.

Sue likes this.
  15. Throbbing Angel

any more for any more - I'm going in 12 hours!

16. Throbbing Angel

:mad: fucking trains :mad:

17. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I have around 10 hours to decide between a job offer in Dumfries and one in Anstruther Anecdotes about either place welcome!

18. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Dumfries -- in common with many towns -- is dying on its arse a bit. Lots of empty shop units/charity shops in the town centre, all feels a bit depressed to be honest whereas it used to be reasonably prosperous.

Couple of slow trains a day to Glasgow, no direct trains to Edinburgh (have to go via Lockerbie), more trains to Carlisle.

On the plus side, flats/houses are cheap to rent/buy and there are a few decent pubs. And the countryside nearby is beautiful and not much visited.

19. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Anstruther is closer to Edinburgh, and the train journey to Edinburgh down the Fife coast is good, especially in the summer when the seals wave at the trains. But it doesn't have its own station, Leuchars might be the nearest one, on the east coast main line. So if you don't have a car, Dumfries does have a station at least and is fairly well served by coaches between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

heinous seamus likes this.
  20. Throbbing Angel

Go on. What's the decision?

21. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

it would be Anstruther for me - admittedly my only recent experience of Dumfries was of arriving at 5pm on a saturday evening, in torrential rain, with two very wet, hungry and tired children who had spent some 7 hours on our fabulous motorway system - it was not, dear reader, fun..

Dumfries has the advantage of being in the middle of a vast outdoor playground - the spectacular, and empty Galloway hills and National Park to the north west, the Lake District to the south and the Scottish Borders and Northumberland to the east, as well as the superb D&G coast, but the city itself isn't exactly one of the jewels of Scotland, and it feels like its a looooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg way from pretty much anywhere else.

Anstruther, which is not on the major road network, is however near Edinburgh, which is both a destination and a gateway to the rest of Scotland. its also very pretty, and next to the sea, which lifts the mood in any weather.

22. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Thanks for your replies folks. I chose Anstruther in the end. All that unexplored countryside in Dumfries was very tempting, but I am afterall native to the shores of the silvery Forth :cool:

23. danny la rouge

Plus: chips.

kebabking and heinous seamus like this.
  24. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Late to the game but I would pick Ainster every time.

25. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

One is in Dumfriesshire the other isn't. As such the other is clearly the winner. Aye it is in the East which means silly Fife accents but it is, imho, much the better
    option. House prices might be higher but imho the area is far nicer, there are cheaper towns inland and some along the coast too. Ainster and Crail are beautiful places, both places are well know for seafood, Crail for crabs and Ainster for it's fish and chip shop which is well quoted.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  26. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

There are chips in Dumfries :mad:.

27. danny la rouge

Not from here though.

28. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Not with salt and sauce there aren't.

29. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

True. You can get reasonable chips nonetheless. ;)

30. danny la rouge

I think heinous seamus made the right choice then.