1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulwich v Enfield 27/4/17 - Play-off Semi-Final

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Scolly, Apr 24, 2017.

1. YTC

YTC Human Man

They were sound go be fair. 3/4 ETFC dicks, but they were soon kicked out and the rest were a decent bunch.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  2. AndyF

AndyF DHFC Beer Aficionado

One or two at the bar gave it the fuckin large...got told and will never will be welcome back

3. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I adore this team. Whatever happens Monday they've given us so much this season.

4. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

5. PartisanDulwich

So, what a fantastic evening of football at Champion Hill, in front of a huge crowd of over 2,500 (2,517 to be precise)

Dulwich Hamlet served up a truly mouth watering banquet of football, with Ibra Sekajja adding the cherry on top with a stunning sweet chipped goal.

It has to be noted that once again Champion Hill groaned under the huge attendance, simply highlighting the need for a new stadium

Big thank you to players, club officials/staff and all our wonderful volunteers in many capacities for making a very special night of football, which tops off another great season of grassroots community football at its best.

Finally, special thanks must go to Brixton Buzz (incl Urban75) and DHFCTV for recording our many ups and downs in a truly momentous season

"Forward The Hamlet"

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. PartisanDulwich

7. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Note sure any of them were Enfield fans given they were with the Enfield Goalkeepers dad. The keeper is on loan from Braintree and from Stevenage.

YTC and B.I.G like this.
  8. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

So that song about the goalkeeper's dad not being in the crowd was wrong? Or was it a nuanced comment on said dad being kicked out?

Terrific game that. Really electric.

9. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

100% sure it's his dad, got seen talking to each other after the game.

10. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

About conceding 4 goals?

Jimbob73 and Scolly like this.
  11. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Another great night at champion hill, and different from others in that the rain drove the early arriving Enfield fans into Toilets Opposite, which created a competitive atmosphere.

Even with our 3 goal lead Enfield kept battling, until they tired with about 20 mins left.

Four great goals, I missed Sekaja's chip for the third tweeting about his second...

The passing move which led to the fourth was pretty special. Can't wait to see the highlights.

It took a 94th minute goal for Bognor to see if Wingate, I reckon Monday could be just as tight...

PartisanDulwich and Jimbob73 like this.
  12. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Great night - bring on the Bognor!

13. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I had a good view of the whole match from the main stand and I didn't see anything remotely resembling a red card offence from any of our players - Weatherstone and Kargbo were both booked, for a sliding tackle and retaliation respectively, but neither committed any further offence of note. I felt the referee was generally strong and consistent and handled the match well.

Great start for Hamlet, opening the scoring inside a minute. The visitors had already probed our defence, but as Hamlet countered Tomlin excelled himself in holding the ball up under pressure with his back to goal, then turned inside and lanced the away defence with an exquisite thorough pass that held up inside the box at just the right moment. As the advancing keeper set himself to make a block Sekajja ran through and drilled the ball through his legs and into the net. I felt Enfield perhaps panicked a bit after that. They're a good footballing side, but they played at a frantic pace with lots of first-time flicks and players running with the ball when it might have been better to look for a pass. There was little time or space for anyone to think before playing the ball in the middle third as Hamlet got sucked into a quite frantic game. We doubled the lead just past the half hour when a corner was recycled by Drage beyond the far post, and the big centre back chipped a delicate back across the goalmouth for Sekajja to leap high and head inside the top corner. Straight from the kick off the same combination breached the Enfield defence once again as Drage sent a long pass down the middle for Sekajja to race clear and chip the advancing keeper from outside the box with a sumptuous finish - yet another of the many contenders for "goal of the season". Enfield gained a lifeline five minutes later as a corner was partially cleared and our former player Billy Crook fired in a low shot towards the near post that Edwards would probably have saved, until it passed between a defender's legs and pinballed inside the near post.

There were plenty chances at both ends throughout a game where possession was fairly even, but the visitors just didn't quite have the same quality or range of attacking options despite a valiant and polished display form former Hamlet favourite Harry Ottaway. With 25 minutes to go Hamlet were three in front again as Sekajja and Tomlin led their defence a merry dance with a sequence of passes on our right, before Tomlin received inside the box and fired past the keeper. A battered Kargbo came off along with hat-trick man Sekajja, replaced by the physical presence of Dumaka and the box of tricks than is Camara. Enfield seemed to have more or less run themselves into the ground by the time they pulled one back a second time with five minutes to go, by which point their bulky number 5 was supplementing their forward line. Having already hoofed one attempted cross onto the terraces he got on the end of an overhit corner and volleyed a square pass back into the goalmouth which clipped a defender and dropped conveniently for Ottaway to fire into the net on the half-volley.

Team (3-4-1-2): Edwards - Weatherstone, Drage, Chambers - Clunis, Kargbo, Beaney(c), Green - Carew - Tomlin, Sekajja. Subs: Camara (for Carew), Dumaka (for Kargbo), Ming (for Tomlin), Akinymi, Erskine (not used).

Given that our midweek attendances are typically not much more than half what we'd expect for the same fixture on a weekend afternoon, that match could have pulled 4,000+ had it been the final on Monday - except of course we can't accommodate that number.

These play-offs have come close to outgrowing the clubs that have to host them, as they've become phenomenally popular with neutrals and followers of other clubs whose seasons have already finished. It ironic that if we still had the previous ground, which had become a decaying albatross by the time we vacated it, we could potentially pull the sort of crowds seen in the 1950's for big matches! The sheer number of people departing into the night after the final whistle was an amazing sight. With dozens waiting at the bus stop on Dog Kennel Hill I decided to keep walking, but a 185 pulled up two stops further on just as I was passing and it was packed - I just about managed to get on.]

AveryDave, darryl, Fingers and 7 others like this.
  14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary on either side in terms of challenges really - no need for any sending offs. If you read some of the bigger football forums there are people who are convinced their team should have had at least 4 penalties and been playing against 9 men every single game. It's a weird mindset IMO.

15. Terry.c

Terry.c Active Member

us or you :). Thomas said he nearly had to step in and help you out.

16. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Spot on report of a great night. No doubt you saw the Enfield bench getting in the ears of the officials at every given opportunity too which just made them look like idiots.

darryl and Poids like this.
  17. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Great win
    Maybe it was just me as i thought until the end the crowd were little quieter than normal i think even many of them were a little nervous
    Missed the 1st goal by about 5 seconds as late getting in the ground, scored as i was on the turnstile
    The 3rd goal was tremendous, one of those that would have been a goal at ANY level imho
    Dulwich do have some very talented players who could easily play at a higher level
    Deft plenty of goals in the team
    Just hope they can do it on monday
    One thing if the club progresses anymore at the rate they are , a bigger ground is needed

Bugpowder Dust and AndyF like this.
  18. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

One other thing which i dont like in the game nowdays
    Ive noticed now even at this level , many players are trying to get players sent off crowding around the officials getting in their faces and also on the benches they are getting too involved
    The referees need to start sorting some of these out as well maybe sending them into the stand or back into the dressing room

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think the singers were maybe a bit more spread out than usual with some having gone in the toilets opposite.

20. AndyF

One of the many highlights this season has been your match reports Pink Panther

Part of me wanted us to be at Home on Monday. A slightly bigger part of me didn't. It would have shot my weekend to pieces.

This team and this club has been truly magnificent this season. Let's get them over the line.

21. AndyF

darryl and clog like this.
  22. PartisanDulwich

23. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Is this a new function of the forum that now shows all #dhfc twitter feeds?? Saves me using twitter and actually finding these posts for myself.

24. PartisanDulwich

some people don't do twitter and only get to see the odd ones posted here

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  25. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

There were some uncompromising challenges from both sides, which is understandable in a match of such magnitude. A few incidents were worth a yellow card and got one, a few others may have been but didn't. Their 4 flattened Green with a late aerial challenge and was booked, but not worth a straight red. Their 6 was "at it" all through the game until he was substituted, and prompted the scuffle that saw himself and Kargbo booked. He deliberately impeded Kargbo from getting up after they'd both fallen to the floor and seemed to kick out at him, but the ref missed that bit and only saw the afters, with the free kick going against us.

Poids likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

27. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

28. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

De rien

29. Cyclodunc

It was lovely seeing everyone so happy last night. And also to talk briefly with Michael Chambers who was very polite and charming... 6'5" is a very imposing height!

AndyF likes this.
  30. Cyclodunc

New sticker

Lucy Fur, AndyF and EDC like this.