Dulwich Hamlet vs Woking, Monday 22 April 2019, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by EDC, Apr 6, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

That's a bizarre response to a suggestion that maybe you should listen to the complaints of visiting fans if you want to attraregate>? Fill you with pride? more fans. How would you feel if you went to a ground and had to face really stroppy stewards and couldn't drink or find anything to eat? And what's your thoughts of you lot being the face set of league fans we've had to segregate? Fill you with pride?

There's plenty wrong with Hamlet's ground too although most of its problems are down to having so many people cram into the place, and the fallout from a long standing dispute with our cunty landlord.

2. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Maybe we should hold them in the ground for a couple hours after the game so they feel right at home. We can then teach them how to grow a beard, wear your trousers tight, give them a bicycle, give them a free pass to Peckham Levels so they can have a beer in a multi-storey car park and finally give them a big hug and tell them there is a slightly bigger world beyond the borders of Woking.

iamwithnail and editor like this.
  3. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Only the odd few mention it though.

editor likes this.
  4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

So Woking fans response to Dulwich fans.

Mention Brexit.
    Mention Grenfell.
    Mention refugees.
    Mention violence.

Scum. Just scum.

supersafari likes this.
  5. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Sorry Ed

editor likes this.
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

If we're going to have another fortnight of this nonsense it's going to become very tedious.

7. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

And while not every initiative will work for every other club, other clubs have observed and drawn upon the ideas (like the club I previously volunteered for).

Err, and they would get in at the very generous concession rate if they did. All the following folks would - Seniors 60+, Teenagers (13-19), Unemployed (JSA), NHS Staff, Blue Light Services, Serving Members of the Armed Forces, Local Authority workers and Full Time Students, Recipients of DLA and Local Authority Workers, Carers accompanying those with disabilities

Doh! Maybe another light-bulb moment?

Oh yes!

8. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Did they bait us? :D

10. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

No, you’re probably too clever for that aren’t you? We can all bait people can’t we...

Attached Files:

11. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I like that picture :)

12. editor

editor hiraethified

We're now "hipster weirdo's" as well as "bearded weirdos." Bless.
    Never!

13. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

14. Baldman

Baldman New Member

Comrades, comrades, we shouldn't be arguing on here, we should be united against the common enemy... The Man! (I didn't mean common as in common, I meant it as in something we have in common. I love common people. I'm bloody inclusive like that).

Being a Woking supporter myself it was great to read the blog from your visit to our gaff, and it reinforced many things that me and other blokes who meet there on a Saturday already think (when I say blokes, I realise I am assuming their gender, but please be assured that, while I am cisgender myself, I would never knowingly misgender someone).

The yellow hatching on the ground is indicative of the oppressive patriarchy at our club that seeks to crush individuality... telling us where we can and can't safely stand is just the start of totalitarianism and should be resisted. You should have seen the Aldershot fans.... they just wouldn't comply and even broke down a safety gate... it was glorious. While they wear Stone Island and surgical masks and go round looking for trouble, there's no doubt they are part of the struggle.

It's so refreshing to hear from like-minded individuals, I look forward to coming to your ground on the Monday That Is A Bank Holiday For Historical Reasons But Which Can Be Enjoyed By All Denominations and None. It will be so refreshing to stand where we want and I hope you guys (and girls... I mean ladies.. err... sisters, I mean sisters), will be up for a jolly good political discussion. But only if you stay within the left hand side of the Overton Window... I don't want any challenging opinions. Toodle Pip!

PS - I signed up to your board especially to make contact with you all, but I was DISGUSTED to be asked my gender on the registration form. And to only have three options to tick is another example of discrimination. This is 2019, not 1919!!! Please fix!!

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  15. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Good stuff this but 90% of Dulwich fans just go along for a few tins tbh

B.I.G likes this.
  16. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Fleabag is grand.

Effra Eyes likes this.
  17. Baldman

Baldman New Member

Yes, I would say that 99% of Woking and Dulwich fans go along to the game to support their team and have a laugh. Given the two sides share a division and have some of the most committed fans in non-league, I think that we’d find much in common.

But this is exactly the kind of complacency that we need to SMASH if we are ever to do away with intersectional prejudice. It’s important that a small minority of your supporters continue sneering at provincial towns and it’s vital that the small minority of our morons try to beat people up. Only with this kind of friction will things change.

This game is huge... Woking vs the Woke-kings. It’s time we changed non-league, and then changed society. Together.

PS: I look forward to sampling the catering at your ground. I generally try not to eat anything that casts a shadow, but I will make the exception for some fair trade vegan falafel.

18. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I’m working on the day of this game. Can’t say that I’ll be sorry to miss it!

Pink Panther likes this.
  19. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Sorry, what's our approach to watching football? You do realise that we are individuals right and not 3000 clones. I think people are allowed to watch the game as they see fit. Is that a problem for you?

Doubt I will go to the game, as not being segregated and speaking to opposition fans is a major reason why I like to go to non-league. It's sad that the club has had to take this decision due to a minority of idiots that attach themselves to your club. Cheers for nothing.

Effra Eyes, Pink Panther and editor like this.
  20. editor

editor hiraethified

I think we watch football like most everyone else (see photos below). What's wrong with our "approach" and how can it be improved to your satisfaction?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iamwithnail and pompeydunc like this.
  21. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

Blimey, you go away for a day and all hell breaks loose.
    I have never, ever, said that I don't want WFC to help people who need food banks. Similarly, I have never, ever, said that WFC is not interested in trying to attract any minority group, irrespective of how big/small that group is. Those are words you have put into my mouth and then tried to attack me for. If you're incapable of having a discussion based on what I've actually written, rather than what you'd like me to have written, then there's no point in continuing this.
    To be fair, if Champion Hill had been ready in time for your home game against Torquay, that game would almost certainly have been segregated. Similarly, if the move back to Champion Hill hadn't happened and you were still at Tooting, we would probably not be segregated. Such is life.

We are the first club which is expected to bring a large away following to Champion Hill since AFC Wimbledon. That was, what, 15 years ago, when your home crowds were tiny in comparison to what they are now. Therefore nobody knows how your ground will cope when a large number of home fans and a large number of away fans mingle. For example, what happens if fans want to move around en masse e.g. swapping ends at half time? Can you safely accommodate that when two large groups are going in opposite directions against each other? Given the complaints on here that it took 15 minutes to swap ends against Billericay and there were virtually no away fans coming the other way, I'm guessing that's difficult. And I'm not sure the National League would look kindly on you if you decided to invade the pitch at half time just to swap ends, like you did at the playoff final last year.
    Out of interest, what is the official capacity of your ground? In various places it's listed as 3000 but you've had attendances higher than that in recent weeks so clearly there's room for more.

22. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

The official capacity is currently 3,400.

23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

The 1000 - 1500 Maidstone fans at Champion Hill.

pompeydunc and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

I've asked questions in response to your points but you seem reluctant to answer mine.

You appeared to dismiss the LGBT+ community in your area as not having a "significant' enough presence. Significant enough for what?

Not even remotely true. Do your research before posting up any other self inflating claims.

[​IMG]

Maidstone fans. Not segregated. Civilised.

[​IMG]

It’s an ecstasy love-in as record-breaking crowd watches play off contenders Dulwich Hamlet draw against league leaders Maidstone

25. Ian Nicholson

Ian Nicholson New Member

G’day - sorry this is long. I am posting here personally but am the Community Director and Chaplain at Woking. Been following various threads and just wanted to highlight a few facts about our club which Dulwich fans may be unaware of. I am well aware some on here didn’t enjoy your visit to Woking last year (despite the result) and don’t want to retrace those issues – we are what we are, operating within certain health and safety requirements outside our control and having come from a Division where we have hosted clubs like Wrexham, Luton, Aldershot and Bristol Rovers in recent years. We are constantly reviewing and looking to improve but segregation decisions are largely not ours – as is the fact that alcohol is not allowed to be consumed within sight of the pitch. That’s life and we cannot change that. We cannot apologise for following the legal and safety requirements. We can however look to improve stewarding and match day experience.

The main thing is to comment on the inference that Woking is not an inclusive community and family club - which could not be further from the truth. The Woking community arm is multiple award winning and in the last 8 years has been Conference South Community Club of the Year, Conference Premier Community Club of the Year (twice), Non League Community Club of the Year, Best Community Programme for Disability, Best Community Programme for Schools plus a host of local awards. One year we didn’t win but were told we should have but it was proving discouraging for the others so they gave it to someone else. The uniqueness of the community impact is its huge breadth – everything from kids and mental health to mobility and dementia programmes.

Woking does in fact have 2 foodbanks and fans are Trustees on those. This coming year we will be introducing Foodbank Saturday at a home game. The past year we introduced Young Carers day when all the thousands (1500 in Woking alone) of Young Carers in West Surrey were invited to a game with a select dozen given the full mascot experience. That idea is now being picked up by other clubs. We introduced
    ( with the players) a White Ribbon Saturday focusing on domestic abuse against women; I am an ambassador for White Ribbon. As another poster has said we have bucket collections nearly every game for everything from Hospices to homeless projects. The fans are always generous – especially for the hospital visits – and our manager is obsessed with running 50 laps of the pitch for good causes!

LGBT was mentioned and back in February we were host to a Pride in Football game with various things fans and the players did. However this is not a new thing – a decade ago we were hosting the cup final between gay football teams. Quite a few of our fans are gay and, to be honest, its seems to me a bit patronising to trumpet that we are LGBT friendly – we are, it's as simple as that, and we don’t make a song and dance about it.

As home to Britain’s first mosque we work alongside hundreds of our Muslim community through the community work. I would love more at matches but just a few weeks ago, unlike the EFL, we held a minute’s silence regarding the terrorist shooting in New Zealand. This was more than a gesture as a local resident lost her brother in the shooting. The time was attended by Muslim leaders and ran parallel to a 1000 strong peace vigil at the Mosque.

There isn’t much on refugees or Palestine but Woking has always been an open community to receive refugees – why wouldn’t they be welcome? Coincidentally two weeks ago I was on the West Bank in my other capacity working with Palestinians – not a club thing though!

Our female chairman is a strong advocate of community causes and got her MBE for her lifelong work among those with disabilities. Before you pull me up she refuses to be called chair or chairlady – just say it as it is. This attitude I think sums up the Woking way ( town and club). We are not much into gestures - hence the fans antipathy to drums which smack of creating an artificial atmosphere (although one or two clubs do do them well - whisper it but Aldershot are one!) We are though very good at getting on with it, getting our hands dirty and getting stuff done pretty well - without much rigmarole. We are not in any way unique, have lots to learn from others, but, as the town's motto goes ‘ We are Woking!’

See you in a couple of weeks. Look forward to mixing together and having a pint on the terraces!?

Fingers, G Man, iamwithnail and 17 others like this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

Thanks for your enlightening contribution. It's great that the club is making such strides but it's a shame that the online face of the club seems to be represented by sneering individuals who think any such initiatives towards minorities are to be ridiculed and laughed at (see the latest comment on your forum about Hamlet's refugee bike donation scheme, for example).

I know you can't control what people post, but do you think such people help foster the inclusive atmosphere you're clearly striving for?

Oh and I respectfully think you should make a 'song and dance' about it, however immodest it may seem - otherwise your positive message will be drowned out by the pisstakers.

Ronco and pettyboy like this.
  27. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Sorry Mate, I apologise. That's the trouble with April 1st jokes these days. Some of them (like segregation at Champion Hill) become plausible and actual reality.

28. editor

editor hiraethified

My Brixton Village story backfired badly with people thinking a 'Club Hub' was a great idea. They'll probably implement it soon now. Sorry Brixton.

DonkeyAssessor likes this.
  29. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Great post Ian Nicholson but if we want politics out of sport then we also need full separation of church and league so you'll need to resign as chaplain, or take on a shaman and a rabbi too for balance.

editor likes this.
  30. Ian Nicholson

Ian Nicholson New Member

We are not that immodest! The Council are well aware of how important the Club's community contribution is and the local paper has good news club stories most weeks. People will contribute on forums exactly as they wish and, as you know, shutting that down really does kick things off. The club can only control its official face and seek to influence/manage the rest. We have 1600 season ticket holders and its very diverse - a full range of culture, class and viewpoints... from liberal lefties to Tommy Robinson wannabees. Many of our posters ( and actually if you look at it there aren't that many!) know each other and have a good go - but are still united by following Woking together.

editor likes this.