Dulwich Hamlet vs Woking, Monday 22 April 2019, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by EDC, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

I didn't ignore it. I addressed it by saying Woking doesn't have a "huge" food bank use. Woking (the borough) has a population of just over 100,000 people. That means the foodbank is feeding an average of 2.3% of the population every year. Add in the population of the surrounding towns and villages, which are not officially part of the borough but still use Woking as the nearest food bank, that percentage drops even more. Is that a "huge" food bank use?

Oh, and if you'd be so kind as to point out where I said "it's not worth the effort to try and attract LGBT+ fans to the ground" (or even words to that effect) I'd be much obliged. Ta.

2. editor

editor hiraethified

It's got the busiest foodbank in Surrey, but if you don't want your club to help that part of your community who are in the most desperate need, that is of course your call. Personally, I'd suggest that if a foodbank is feeding 2.3% of the population that is a shocking figure when there is such wealth all around.

And the way you dismissed the LGBT+ community as not having a "significant' enough presence sure reads like you're not interested in trying to attract them, but feel free to explain exactly what you meant. Ta.

Anyway, I'm sure all this is providing wonderful fodder for the laaaaaaaads back on the forum.

3. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

What difference does it make to foster an environment that welcomes minority communities? I really don't get that viewpoint. You can support your team at the same time.

pettyboy, editor and Pink Panther like this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

Well, I've learnt that if for some reason I had to permanently relocate next door to Woking's ground, I'd never be tempted to pop in.

5. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Wow...

6. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

And this is why they will never be inclusive.

7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That bloke is a complete tool. When we were promoted last May I was browsing various messageboards for our forthcoming new opponents just to get a feel of what they were like, and he was slagging us off rigjht from the start with all the hipsters/lefties stuff, then when we played there in September he was mocking us for not liking segregation and suggesting we needed it for our own protection as we're too delicate for the rough and tumble of visiting big/proper clubs like Woking. I wonder whether he's even been to our club?

I can't be bothered to waste time reading drivel like that so I don't look at that forum anymore.

editor likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

And now threats of violence from some primitive amoeba lifeform dreaming of a fantasy Green Street rerun (non league version):

9. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

I like the idea of serving lemur poo coffee in the bar. Though I've heard civit poo coffee is better. Just for home supporters? That wouldn't be fair, it should be available to away supporters too. If we have any spare we could put some in the food bank collection. #WeAreDulwichSuperDulwich

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

Thing is, that clueless dork who described Champion Hill as a "hipster coffee house with a football pitch in the middle*" has clearly never been to the ground because the stuff we sell is bog standard £1 Nescafe with ne'er a frapavegancinno with frothed lemur nipple milk in sight.

*To be fair, that is quite a funny description, if woefully inaccurate.

11. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

And why would it bother you so much if another team did it?

editor likes this.
  12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think it's fair to argue that what works in Dulwich won't work in other places (and I think the community stuff, great as it is, is overstated as a cause for the crowd growth tbh). That said though I think the inclusivity and openness to newcomers has been essential for the crowd growth and absolutely can be replicated elsewhere - that doesn't have to mean campaigns it's just an overall attitude and it means appealing to women, young families, or just anybody who isn't the same bunch of old gits who've always gone. So many fans say they want better attendances then obviously resent anyone new, it's hardly a surprise when crowds don't increase is it.

Harry R, Pink Panther and editor like this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

I agree, but I think it forms part of an overall package that generates press, lets more people know about the club, gets across a strong message of inclusivity and community involvement and perhaps makes an afternoon at Champion Hill sounds more of an attractive punt than at many other clubs who don't bother to even try.

There's some lesbian friends of mine who came to the Stonewall game - their first ever match - and they've become semi regular supporters ever since. I don't imagine they'd be so keen if they'd gone along to a Woking game, but then their sneering, blokesy forum pretty makes it a pretty uninviting and unwelcoming option to a large chunk of the community.

I guess that's how they like it, so they'd better get used to the disappointing sized crowds that some of them are complaining about.

14. photocard

photocard New Member

Just going to add my two pence worth. Firstly I'm a Woking fan have been going for 28 years. Secondly I have lived in both Woking and the Dulwich area (Peckham Rye, and Honor Oak). Woking and Dulwich are completely different demographics, what works for you will not work in Woking; at least not to the same extent. Whether you agree or not with the way you guys seem to approach football it will be an anathema to most football fans, the sooner you realise that the more you'll understand some of the comments you get. Also before labelling us a nasty club that doesn't involve our community; maybe you should look at our award winning community team, the charity work the club, and management team have done this season, and most. So you don't like segregation; tough, with your support most clubs in the national league, and bigger clubs here will segregate. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the game coming up, I may even try and bring along some of my hipster friends who still live in the area; although only if you'll be serving single estate dripped coffee, vegan snacks, and everyone gets a hug on the way in!

15. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Nice to meet you photocard, welcome to Urban75

photocard likes this.
  16. WFC2019

WFC2019 New Member

Just seen on our forum that your safety officer has confirmed the game will be segregated. Any idea where we will be in the ground?

17. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Are you a Card too? Looks like we've pretty much got enough Woking fans here now for a specific Woking thread next season...

18. editor

editor hiraethified

Why should a non league football club making huge strides to make their club more inclusive - and attracting massively increased crowds as a result - be seen as an "anathema to most football fans"? :confused:

The truth is most clubs we come across have been full of praise for the way the club has attracted more and more fans, with some being keen to find out more and see what similar community practices might work for their club. And with the exception of a handful of clubs, I've always felt very welcome at their grounds too.

19. editor

editor hiraethified

I guess you'll be at the 'far' end, but unlike at your charming club, I'm pretty sure that you'll still be able to get beer. Imagine!

Seeing as the club is having to take the highly unusual step of segregating the game, they'll probably have to draft in loads of security guards to make you feel right at home.

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Woking just a shit thuggish wannabe league club. Have fun in the national league lads!

Unlike our lovely friends Wealdstone. See you soon :)

And a fight between the two would be easily won by Wealdstone.

21. editor

editor hiraethified

I've just moved all the posts from t'other thread to this one to hopefully save confusion.

Argonia likes this.
  22. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Why is it on a Monday at 3pm? Is it only going to be the unemployed in the crowd?

23. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Sorry is it Easter Monday?

24. photocard

photocard New Member

ha ha I love the fact you guys just don't get it! We're really not a thuggish club, we have a few young idiots who 95% of the fanbase disapproves of; and yes I'd love to see Woking in the league one day( although that seems a long way off) don't see what's wrong with that. It's not about making your club inclusive or welcoming, there are always discussions on our board about things to make the matchday experience better, it's your whole approach to watching football.

25. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

That’s was all I saw at your place, a few Stone Island wannabees. Many clubs have them, the small group in the corner goading our fans at St.Albans has gone under the radar.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  26. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Stay classy

27. editor

editor hiraethified

Fucking hell. Have you any idea how much of a wanker you sound with comments like that? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

B.I.G likes this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Woking are the first club to be ever segregated.

Says it all.

As for the correct attitude to football, Dulwich fans seem to enjoy themselves more than Woking, look at all the hatred and moaning on their forum when they are second in the league!

No wonder they are just a bigger version of Hampton who are a bigger version of Kingstonian.

Its Dowse that’s the common theme but its not his fault he is just attracted to clubs with money.

29. editor

editor hiraethified

Thing is, when people do raise valid criticisms of the matchday experience at your club (no bar, stroppy stewards, pointless segregation/shit food etc), they're just ridiculed and dismissed out of hand, so I guess you haven't made the connection between better matchday experience = bigger crowds = bigger budget = better facilities/players etc = more chance of success.

30. photocard

photocard New Member

I guess we should follow Dulwich's example then, as you seem to have re-invented non-league football and have the answer to all the world's ills. In fact I think I read that the PM is heading over as she feel Dulwich Hamlet are the only people who can sort out Brexit, after all they're such inclusive fans, they'll easily be able to get the remainers and leavers together.