Dulwich Hamlet vs Woking, Monday 22 April 2019, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by EDC, Apr 6, 2019.

1. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

4589 there today, I wonder if they clapped when it was announced.

pompeydunc and StephenMac like this.
  2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Wankers if they didn't.

the 12th man and Cyclodunc like this.
  3. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

To be fair 1,200 plus were Torquay fans

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

No we didn't applaud it, because we don't do that. However, if we'd got a few more in and broken the Conference South attendance record, I think that might well have got a round of applause.

FWIW there were officially 1393 away fans, though no doubt a few sneaked in the home end as well. It was a great game, sadly we ran out of steam in the last 10 minutes and Torquay's full-time fitness kicked in. But at least we've guaranteed ourselves a home playoff game and we might still need something from our match on Easter Monday to secure home advantage in the final, should we get there.

Matt The Cab, EDC, Argonia and 2 others like this.
  5. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Nice to meet you Cardinal, I'm a Woking fan too!

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Are you both violent thugs like the majority of Woking fans? Dont bother denying they aren’t. Why else would you segregate all away fans.

supersafari likes this.
  7. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

The majority of Woking fans are peaceful and just out to enjoy the football.

StephenMac likes this.
  8. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Why not? Too big to acknowledge and show appreciation for the fans who've turned up? I can't stand segregation in non-league football and - sad to say - I loathed the way I was treated at your ground, so I hope you go up too as I never want to visit that awful ground again.

9. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Whole lot of whooshing going on.

Cyclodunc, gnar182 and EDC like this.
  10. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Police didnt agree. Kept them locked in like animals after the most recent home game.

At a non league game. The police kept the home fans locked in the terrace after game had finished.

11. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Way to piss people off before a game.... :facepalm:

EDC likes this.
  12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

13. editor

Some of those comments aren't exactly a great advert for the club, or indeed humanity. And then they wonder why their crowds aren't as big as they'd expect? Fucking dinosaurs.

14. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Some blinding stuff on there :)

editor likes this.
  15. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Hi, good to see there's more than one of us in SE22.

Honestly, I don't know. We certainly used to, I remember when we were first promoted to the Conference that we'd applaud the attendance when it was announced. But at some point in the past 25 years we stopped doing it. I'm not sure being "too big" to do it is a reason because we're certainly not alone in not applauding the attendance, even in this league. For example, Welling didn't do it when we played there last month and you certainly can't accuse them of being too big!

Without wishing to rake over old ground, I agree that our game in September should not have been segregated. I understand why we did it, even though I don't agree with the reasons, but I'd be very surprised if you're segregated next time you come to Kingfield for a league game. By the way, how did you find the segregation experience at Plainmoor?

Yep. Big mistake from the police matchday commander. We think it was done because the Torquay fans had a specific train to catch back to Devon and the timings were tight,* so their exit from the ground was prioritised. In the end they stayed behind to applaud their team and missed the train through choice so the whole exercise was futile.

* Although this was their own fault because they lobbed 4 flares/smoke bombs onto the pitch, then invaded it when they equalised, which is what caused the big hold-ups.

Argonia likes this.
  16. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Yes, because all those posts are made in complete seriousness and there isn't a hint of sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek mockery about a single one of them :rolleyes:

Jamie Wyatt and EDC like this.
  17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I make all my sarcastic comments about disasters where people died.

supersafari, Ronco, Cyclodunc and 2 others like this.
  18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

If you think Woking fans aren’t animals. Shouldn’t you be wondering why no one condemns comments about Grenfell.

19. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

We applaud the away attendance at FGR, not the whole thing. Thought that was the general way to do it?

20. editor

Oh I get the humour/pisstakes in some of them and that's just fine, but there's a general unpleasant sneering throughout that's rarely seen from other clubs we encounter. Putting a club's fans down because of their support for refugees and Grenfell survivors really is a bit pathetic. "Grief junkies," FFS.

21. editor

What, they announce the number of travelling fans?

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Yes, always do, though presume you need segregation to do it.

23. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Great, sounds like you'd fit right in at Kingfield. Our next home game is on Good Friday :)

If you think we're abnormal in the sneery attitude, that surprises me a bit. The football forums I read are generally disparaging of any club's fans which is perceived to mix politics and football, for example Whitehawk and Clapton also generate similar negative reactions. The attitude is sneery not because people agree/disagree with the issue being pushed, but more the fact that it's being done at a football match. People generally go to football to support their team, and it's hard to make the connection between a "refugees welcome" or "justice for Grenfell" banner and showing support for the 11 DHFC players on the pitch.

For the avoidance of doubt, nobody is suggesting that Grenfell victims and survivors should not see justice be served on those responsible for that atrocity. But the point being made is that a game of non-league football is perhaps not the appropriate place to demonstrate support for such a viewpoint. Support the team, leave the politics at home.

24. editor

Right. So you're of the opinion that a club and its fans should make no effort at all to try and engage and support all of the local community - which even in Woking will most likely include refugee groups, foodbanks, the LGBT+ community and more - and just stick to 'traditional' football and the usual laddy bantz that goes with it? Politics affect all aspects of people's lives and in my view it's good to see a local community football club get involved and make the club seem inclusive to as many people as possible.

I notice in your forum that fans are wondering why the crowds aren't getting any bigger despite the on-field success and cut-price ticket schemes, while Hamlet's crowds are breaking records in spite of the club having a pretty awful time on the pitch. No chance of you joining the dots here?

Ronco likes this.
  25. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Unlike SE22, the borough of Woking is 85% white British. The next significant ethnic population in our local community is south Asian, typically Pakistani, which comprises a massive 6% of our demographics. About 10 years ago we had a chairman who was hugely enthusiastic about engaging them and getting them to come down to Kingfield. Free tickets, massive targeted publicity, pre-season friendly against a Pakistan international XI timed so that it could be live-streamed in Pakistan - you get the idea. End result? Nothing. We didn't even see a spike in attendances followed by a drop-off, there was just no take-up at all in the first place. We get more attendees from our Italian community than the Pakistani population, albeit this is probably helped by a few ethnic Italian kids having come through our youth team to play for us.

What you've done with your crowds is remarkable and, all piss-taking aside, I would love to see WFC's crowds improve like that. But the methods you've used to pick up support won't work everywhere. Woking doesn't have a significant LGBT+ presence, we don't have large refugee groups or immigrant communities, we don't have huge food bank use. I'm not going to pretend that Woking is some post-industrial wasteland beset by unemployment and poverty, but it's not exactly a liberal metropolitan area like Dulwich either. Our local community is different to yours, it's much less diverse, and it responds in different ways. Don't forget that Woking has returned a Tory MP since the dawn of time (well, that's what it feels like anyway) so if WFC started preaching a message of inclusivity then that is not going to win hearts and minds in the same way it would in SE22. The demographics and politics are just too different.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding politics and football. It obviously works for DHFC but it does nothing for me and most other supporters I know.

geezuz170, EDC and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  26. editor

It's all well and good 'targeting' an Asian demographic but if there's nothing in the ground to suggest it's going to be a welcoming place, why would they want to go? I have to say that I found your ground one of the least welcoming I've been to in a long time with surly stewards, segregation and barely any food on offer. Did you offer any food to suit any other tastes apart from foooootball geezers?

Perhaps if the club got more actively involved with grassroots community initiatives in the first place they'd be more likely to give it a go...

Those LGBT+ people get everywhere you know and some will even travel to a welcoming club! And you most definitely have a busy foodbank which recently celebrated its fifth anniversary. And you didn't even know this?

Ronco and B.I.G like this.
  27. editor

B.I.G likes this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Wow!

editor likes this.
  29. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Strangely enough we didn't segregate a pre-season friendly. And as "home" fans, they'd have full access to the exciting and diverse repertoire of Kingfield catering anyway. So, erm, burgers and fish and chips then... In all seriousness, the game was a long time ago and I don't remember what special events were put on, but there was definitely a lot more than the usual fare available on the day because the whole point of the event was to attract new fans who wouldn't normally think of coming to football.

I said a "significant" LGBT+ presence, i.e. Woking has no more than the average town up and down the country. Unlike parts of London, say, or Brighton, or Manchester. Similarly, I said we don't have "huge" food bank use. I may not have lived in Woking for 20 years now, but I'm not so naive to think that there isn't some poverty in the town which requires the use of food banks. I'm also not so keen to prove a point that I quote an article about poverty in Surrey that doesn't mention Woking once! I mean, you could at least have used the linked article about foodbank use in Woking doubling in 2015.

30. editor

I've no idea why you chose to ignore my quoted text which said that the Woking Foodbank had " provided enough food to feed over 11,500 adults and children" in five years, but your attitude to minorities is rather enlightening. Why do you think it's not worth the effort to try and attract LGBT+ fans to the ground? How big does a minority have to be before you take an interest?

Oh, and this from Aug 2017:

Probably not "significant" enough for your club to bother with I guess, despite it being the busiest foodbank in Surrey.

Anyway it's not for me to tell anyone how to run their club, and if some clubs are keen to retain that extra-blokey 1970s-style football experience, it's none of my business.