Dulwich Hamlet vs Welling United, 3pm, Sat 9th Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

No, it was an error of judgement, he could have headed the ball away and there were defenders close enough to assist him. He clearly thought the ball was inside the box when he caught it, he didn't "deny a goalscoring opportunity", he didn't use his hands to stop the ball when he couldn't otherwise have reached it. Don't be influenced by the sad attempts of all ten Welling players crowding around the referee and lobbying for a red card. I wouldn't have expected their keeper to be sent off for that.

2. editor

editor hiraethified

3. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

we got our 17th place position back

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Nice bit of premature celebration from Nyren.

Green goal.jpg

5. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I don't know the letter of the Law, so this is a genuine question, but does it matter what he thought? If he denies a clear goal-scoring opportunity does it matter if it's accidental? That would be one layer of interpretation (intent) on another (the opportunity) - too much surely?!

As it is, it's a moot question, as it wasn't a clear goal-scoring opportunity given covering defenders. But take those defenders away, and even if it's accidental / non-intentional I'd be surprised if the ruling was it shouldn't be a red card.

Preston handball.jpg

gnar182 likes this.
  6. Pink Panther

I'm not certain either to be honest. I've seen goalkeepers red carded in televised matches for sliding out of the box on a wet pitch when they clearly took hold of the ball inside the box, but Laws and directives on how referees should interpret them change so often these days. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that referees shouldn't be encouraged to whip out the red card when there are any grey areas. Looking at the screen grab, both centre backs are goalside of the forward so Welling getting agitated about the lack of a red card is a bit much. Preston's safest option would have been to head the ball wide to Mavila in space.

scousedom likes this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

What was going on at half time, by the way?

8. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think they changed this one fairly recently IIRC (maybe a change of directive rather than actual rule changes) to say there has to be intent to warrant a red.

ETA: In fact I have that wrong, that only applies in the area: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

scousedom likes this.
  9. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

It was Silver fit doing a demonstration of walking football with cheerleaders
    Silverfit (@silverfitorg) on Twitter

editor likes this.
  10. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Mike Dean and a Chelsea keeper would have been a guaranteed red card.

the 12th man and B.I.G like this.
  11. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

12. Pink Panther

13. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

B.I.G likes this.