Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet vs Welling United, 3pm, Sat 9th Feb 2019

baleboy_93

Substitutions were spot on today, needed more strength in midfield which Fergie provided, Sheriff was a nuisance against tired legs and Onovwigun played a big role for goal with his physical presence. As already mentioned massive performances all over, Quade was MoM for me with his covering of midfield, Green electrifying, Magnus and Chambers commanding, Dipo and Thompson hardworking up top. Will sleep happy tonight!

Nivag

Substitutions were spot on today, needed more strength in midfield which Fergie provided, Sheriff was a nuisance against tired legs and Onovwigun played a big role for goal with his physical presence. As already mentioned massive performances all over, Quade was MoM for me with his covering of midfield, Green electrifying, Magnus and Chambers commanding, Dipo and Thompson hardworking up top. Will sleep happy tonight!
∆∆ this∆∆
I don't think Quade missed a header all game.
For a change we managed to get most of the second balls too.
Brilliant performance all round!

PartisanDulwich

2,353 - Fourth highest non league attendance on the day
only beaten by Wrexham, Chesterfield, Hartlepool (all former League teams)

Multigums

Kudos to the stewards for making the Welling fans take down that hideous sectarian flag.
Genuinely shocked to see that and the army surplus gear they were wearing - against all we stand for. Wonder what had happened to it? Those of a certain vintage recall the infamous BNP bookshop in Welling - no club should sully its hands with fans like that

drachir

That Welling flag was actually impressive, I had no idea you could fit so much awfulness on one flag

✅ St.George's Cross
✅ Union Flag
✅ "No Surrender"
✅ Rangers crest
✅ Help for Heroes logo

Pink Panther

That was a world away from the shambles at Hampton just four weeks ago, the first game after the transfer listing of six contracted players had been announced, so credit to the management for identifying where changes needed to be made and to the players for making those improvements happen. Hamlet played with two proper strikers as Akinyemi joined Thompson in attack in a sort of fluid 4-4-2 formation, with the strikers and wingers dropping deeper or pushing up at different times. Unlike at Hampton, when it would have been difficult to name someone who played really well, there were no passengers at all yesterday as everyone played his part in a cohesive and effective team performance that restricted the visitors to few real chances.

Hamlet wasted one early chance when a pass slipped out to Akinyemi on the right was fractionally overhit and he miscued his shot across the face of goal. Welling managed to open up our defence shortly afterwards when a forward was played through with just Edward to beat but our keeper rescued us with a vital save. Just before the quarter hour a slick through pass from Thompson released Green, popping up in the inside right channel, and a great touch switched the ball onto his left foot before he fired emphatically past the keeper to give us the lead. By now Hamlet were playing with a confidence that has rarely been seen since St Albans were impressively beaten at Imperial Fields three months ago, although we didn't add anther goal until the final five minutes when substitute Sheriff received the ball to feet near the penalty spot and did well to shake off his markers before turning sharply to shoot into the bottom of the net. Welling's keeper had kept them in the game with an incredible one handed save to keep out a stunning first time shot by Akinyemi, but now it appeared to be game over. As was the case in our last victory on Boxing Day there was still time for a tense finish when Hamlet's lead was cut with just a minute plus stoppage time remaining, a low cross into the goalmouth producing a scramble in the six yard box with the ball ending up in the net. However despite a minimum five minutes of added time being indicated we held out for the win without too much trouble.

The back four looked solid, Taylor and Vose displayed a perfect blend of strength and creativity in the half back positions, Clunis and Green gave us the pace and thrust on the flanks, and Thompson and Akinyemi offered power and mobility up front combined with good touch. And of course Edwards was his usual reliable self in goal, despite one marginal but potentially costly mistake when he came to the edge of his box to deal with a through ball and, reaching forwards, snatched it slightly outside the 18 yard line. All ten visiting outfielders crowded around the referee, who had already given the free kick, in what can only have been an attempt to have our goalkeeper sent off. Whilst the free kick had to be give assuming the linesman called it correctly (he was right in line) the keeper could have headed it away with other teammates close enough to help him, so it was clearly an error of judgement as to where the line was rather than any intent to deny a scoring opportunity.

Team (4-4-2): Edwards - Cook, Okuonghae(c), Chambers, Mavila - Clunis, Taylor, Vose, Green - Thompson, Akinyemi. Subs: Ferguson (for Vose), Sheriff (for Akinyemi), Onovwigun (for Thompson), Essuman, Pryce (not used).

Pink Panther

That Welling flag was actually impressive, I had no idea you could fit so much awfulness on one flag

✅ St.George's Cross
✅ Union Flag
✅ "No Surrender"
✅ Rangers crest
✅ Help for Heroes logo

I didn't see the flag myself, but it's a bit much to describe

a. the national flag of England
b. the national flag of the UK
c. the logo of a legitimate charity seeking to raise funds for struggling or disabled ex-servicemen

as "awfulness".

No idea what nationality you are but frankly I take umbrage at people trying to portray my national flag as somehow awful or shameful. I wasn't born yesterday, I know there are bigots or extremists who seek to hijack our nation's emblems for their own "awful" cause, but it's the emblems and words they use to deface the flag that are the problem not the flag itself, and I'm not having it that a union or St George flag shouldn't be acceptable.

cambelt

It was the no surrender and Rangers logo which made it unacceptable, and I don't know why people are so happy allowing a legitimate charity to be hijacked by right-wing racists. The message was clear, it wasn't a pleasant flag and i haven't seen anything like it at Champion Hill before.

Matt The Cab

Live it like you love it
Hate sectarianism - But nothing wrong with hope for heroes (and we have held collections for) - only prob is like St Georges flag and poppy attempts to high jack them -
Because people have allowed the right wing to try and hijack them. As soon as a poppy is worn or flag is shown people question the motives and chuck comments about

PartisanDulwich

To be fair the owner of the flag on twitter does refer to himself in his twitter handle as a Welling season ticket holder, a proud protestant, supporter of Rangers and Linfield and retweets in defence of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon - who knew

He also goes on to inform us that he is a Chelsea fan - so a great weekend for him

Last edited: