Dulwich Hamlet vs Welling United, 3pm, Sat 9th Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, Feb 6, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

YTC and iamwithnail like this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

Dirty South likes this.
  3. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I always enjoy playing against Steve King's sides because it reminds me how fortunate we are not to be managed by him. He's only successful when given money and the players he attracts, by and large, are loathsome mercenaries. If diving, colossal wages and gamesmanship is what it takes to be successful in this division, then I'd rather bob around in mid-table forever.

4. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Given our current league position then I’d reckon most people would agree

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  5. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  6. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Steve King did a fantastic job with our youth set up and I'm not the only old school fan who wanted him given a crack at the first team before he left. He also did an impressive job at Lewes before the money arrived.

He may have a reputation as a big money manager now but to say he can only be successful when bankrolled is not true. His track record proves otherwise.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I dispute that. Lewes started splurging money as soon as he went there to replace Jimmy Quinn in Summer 2003. Two of the first players he signed were Junior Kadi and Peter Adeniyi from the Hamlet, who were offered far more than we could match. There was also a massive conflict of interest with his role as a players' agent. Martin Eede was persuaded to bring in a couple of his players on loan from QPR and they were hopeless.

He did well enough as our youth team manager but I'd hardly call it "fantastic" compared to Mick Read or Gavin Rose, whose teams before and after were always challenging for silverware and performing well in the FA Youth Cup. A club of our stature in Inner London should always be able to attract some of the best youngsters outside the professional ranks.

8. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

I agree there was a conflict of interest re his role as an agent. I disagree with you on the youth team. We didn't get a Youth Cup run but he continually sourced good players which I view as the role of a youth set up. Cup runs are a bonus.

I'd agree Mick Read also did but Steve outperformed most of the others I knew who came before. I regretted he didn't get a first team shot with us prior to his departure.

I thought the money arrived at Lewes season two but that could well be old age playing tricks. I'm surprised they appointed a bloke with no senior experience if they already had money though. The usual suspects would have been lurking.

9. Moroccan Sunset

I was a wee nipper at the time, and like you my memory could be playing tricks on me, but I have a similar view to PP. I remember hearing what Kadi was (supposedly) paid and it was decent money even by todays standards. He was bankrolled there, he was bankrolled at Whitehawk and now he's got hefty sums of cash at Welling.

I'm not convinced by him: signing good players on big wage packets and then getting top end finishes is hardly the mark of an astute manager. Talks a good game, does Steve...

B.I.G likes this.
  10. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed his wardrobe, including his non-wearing of the apparently league-mandated Jako blue t-shirts when we played there in the season opener.

jnrknight, pettyboy and Pink Panther like this.
  11. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Some friends wondering if they have to print out pre-booked tickets?

12. takkforalt

takkforalt Well-Known Member

Asking for a friend

pettyboy likes this.
  13. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Well yes, I don’t have to buy a ticket.

14. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Metropolitan Photographic Elites.

15. Pink Panther

It was certainly a bold appointment at the time. Either he had friends/contacts in the right places or said all the right things with supreme confidence in an interview. Lewes, Farnborough and Whitehawk were all clearly spending beyond sustainable means while he was managing those clubs, and all have subsequently been forced to seek stability at a lower level.

16. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

They can accept them from a phone but it takes a bit longer to validate them.

17. Pink Panther

Chambers returns from suspension for Toure, Akinyemi starts in place of Ferguson.

18. Pink Panther

Green 1-0, 14 minutes.

19. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

I can hear B.I.G screaming on the radio commentary

20. Pink Panther

2--0 Sheriff, 86 minutes.

21. Pink Panther

2-1, 88 minutes.

22. Pink Panther

WON 2-1

the 12th man and B.I.G like this.
  23. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Im fucking buzzing. What a performance that was!

Our defence was very solid today, absolute night and day between this performance and some of those jan ones

Moroccan Sunset and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

Great result! Up the Hamlet!

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  25. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

We played confidentiality and could have scored even more
    and considering recent home performances an amazing attendance
    Good buzz today

We always win when Scutta comes from Hamburg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Lucy Fur and B.I.G like this.
  26. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

I thought Green and Taylor were immense and the team worked so hard throughout.Good to see Dipo get a start and thought he did well.

Their keepers save from Dipo was incredible.

Dirty South, Nivag, EDC and 2 others like this.
  27. Harry R

Harry R Member

Big performances from Chambers, Green, Dipo.

Team looked like a proper unit.

28. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

3 points for Mishi

Dirty South, Lucy Fur and YTC like this.
  29. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Highlight of the day B.I.G Harry Enfield impression towards Steve King. Priceless.

Lucy Fur and Cyclodunc like this.
  30. Moroccan Sunset

Completely agree with Pthorne. Quade and Green were outstanding. Dipo did well as well, and I feel we have so much more threat when he starts. Hope we give him a run of games.

B.I.G likes this.