Dulwich Hamlet vs. Wealdstone, Sat 8th September

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Cyclodunc, Sep 3, 2018.

1. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Yeah he was training pre-match with Figueira, Kamara, Abrahams, Onivwigun.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  2. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Akinyemi, Figueira and Pappoe were all at the ground and Drage came down to watch!

3. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Must add Sanchez has been one of our best players for the past two seasons and he is always first to thank the supporters behind the goal at the end of the game #Merciless

4. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

He was one of the few players I thought would not be able to cut it at this level, boy was I wrong. Playing in a back 4 suits him as he can attack when there is less risk of the defence being exposed. Our right side looks very strong and if iffy improves we may have a decent left side aswell. I still think getting Abraham’s back at LB and pushing Green up to the wings could make us a very tricky team on the counter but if Gavin insists on three center mids then in Gavin we trust.

I still don’t understand why we are not playing two strikers and two wingers either side, we have the depth and let’s face it we havnt exactly been controlling games in the middle of the park.

5. Don Reid

Don Reid New Member

The reason we're not controlling the midfield at present is because the defence is not comfortable on the ball yet, there's many a time we should be wrapping it into the midfield but they hoof it long and aimlessly,, because vose and ferguson are ball playing midfielders we shouldn't be bypassing them because that's what every team in this league are doing so far and playing off scraps
    Apart from Hampton we should have got something from the games and in that game we beat our self again rather than them really bossing us

6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

upload_2018-9-9_11-34-28.jpeg

I've always felt a basic 4-4-2 formation is the best starting point for turning it around for a team that's struggling, but Gavin hasn't really used anything resembling that system for a good seven years or so, and we've never been losing more games than we win during that period. As you say, controlling games from midfield is harder in this league; other teams are either as good as us at retaining the ball, or those that are happy to defend in depth are harder to break down.

Considering the six changes to the starting line up from last week it's not surprising we took a while to get going. There were still a few chances for us to take the lead early in the game, but yet again heads seemed to drop when we fell behind. We did well to turn it around in the second half and made a strong start within seconds of the restart as Ferguson unleashed a speculative shot that caught the keeper by surprise and very nearly embarrassed him. That one moment seemed to get the crowd going and set the tone for a much more assertive second half Hamlet performance. I'm guessing the two newcomers haven't had much game time this season. Allen isn't worth a starting place yet on yesterdays' evidence, whereas I feel Nash has to play further forward and more centrally. A lot of May's best work was wasted as no one was supporting closely enough to take full advantage. The continual changes at number 9 from one game to the next have to stop for me. We've only retained the main striker once all season (Tomlin against Concord), in every other game we've dropped the man who started the previous match. May is experienced at this level and gives us a few options others in the squad don't. He's physically strong, wins the ball consistently in the air, and he's crafty enough to win free kicks when he's being marked closely in situations where our other strikers tend to give them away instead. With a quick, sharp partner playing off him (i.e. Nash) I think we might have a winning combination, but despite some promising flourishes I don't recall Nash really getting much of the ball inside the box or getting into any shooting positions, other than a direct free kick that hit the wall.

Cook and Clunis looked fired up when they came on and the former produced a superb solo goal to open up the visitors' defence and find the target from the edge of the box.

Next week's match is a trip to leaders Woking so we'll do well to get another point from that, after which we enter the FA Cup which means may have relatively few matches over the following six weeks or so. I'm sure Gavin will turn it around soon enough, but we may have to settle for playing ourselves back into form in cup matches while the league table may well show us near the bottom for another month or more before we really get the chance to do much about it.

On the positive side it looks like all the teams who've taken points from us, with the possible exception of Gloucester, will be solid mid-table at the very least and in several cases play-off candidates. We've played eight of the current top thirteen so far and only one of the bottom nine, East Thurrock, whom we beat. There are gong to be a lot of very winnable matches to come against teams no better than ourselves, and now we have our injured players back again I'm sure we'll start winning quite a few of them.

7. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I was very wary when people were insisting we'd make the play offs in this division. I wasn't at the game yesterday, but I can't remember a time when sides like Wealdstone, Dartford and Chelmsford have been anything other than strong teams. Throw in Billericash, fallen giants Torquay and well established clubs like Bath and St Albans as well, and it's hard to see how we could expect to be pushing for a top 8 finish immediately.

Equally however, I think it's a bit a premature to start bracing ourselves for a 30-game relegation dogfight. As PP says, we've been up against mid-to-top teams so far and they've used their experience of playing at this level to good effect. IMO, Concord were one of the worst sides I've seen in ages - their game plan was essentially lumping dead balls into the penalty box for one of their lumps to get on the end of. Concord at the moment are 9th. They beat us then through crude methods, but I think we're more than capable of beating teams like that once we're up to speed and players are properly back from injury.

Completely agree re: the striker role, as well. Personally, I'm not adverse to a May-Akinyemi partnership, but we have to stop changing it every game. No understandings can be developed if we're permanently switching the main striker. If fit, I think May has to start. His hold up play is superb.

tasty_snacks, Poids and Pink Panther like this.
  8. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

It seems trivial to suggest a formation can make all that much difference, at the end of the day both teams start with 11 players. But playing the same players in the same position over a period of time brings form. Last season we had 8/9 players who would start every game. We had a shape and we had key attacking threats that grew more dangerous as the season went on. And at least with 4-4-2 we would look like we have a focal point down the sides and fire power up front. Jay May doesn’t score goals and he was played on his own up front with two players so wide of him that his excellent Ariel presence led to nothing significant.

Gavin needs to pick a team and stick with it. Pick a team, play that team for 5 games and weather the storm He can’t make 6 changes every week. I think frustration has clouded his judgement. I’ve seen 5 games and not one particular player has been awful. We have had spells in a game that have been woeful, but equally some were the team have been quality. It’s not about the players being good enough ,they are, it’s about the team stepping up and having the confidence to compete in this league.

Poids likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Not sure if you remember Sanchez played for Dulwich originally as a winger / forward about 6 years. He was the fastest thing on two legs. He left and played for Welling, Bishop's Stortford, Staines and Bromley. He has loads of Conference experience. He stepped down when he re-joined us and got us promoted.

B.I.G and Pink Panther like this.
  11. Pink Panther

He also had a knee injury at Staines that was misdiagnosed or not treated properly and he hadn't played for about a year when he rejoined us two years ago. He looks bigger and stronger to me than he used to be and still very quick.

Son of Roy, 3010, B.I.G and 1 other person like this.
  12. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Yes, has definitely bulked up in the off season but retained his pace.

13. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Some good comments and realistic analysis from the (Weald) Stones Fan Forum

Summary would be - a draw was a fair result, and bit disappointed they didn't play better or kill off the game in the first half - but as for some direct quotes see below

"Hamlet were nothing special but their fans were terrific (as were ours) in urging them forward for their 80th min leveller and they might even have nicked themselves at the death."

"As for Dulwich fans, without a doubt they showed us how to support a team. Noisy throughout especially in the second half"

Personally, the comments about the Rabble in the second half are particularly pleasing as I seem to recall we played them a few years back, when they occupied the toilets opposite stand and out sang us for 90 mins (and gave us a lesson in getting behind your team)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    EDC and editor like this.
  14. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

The Rabble was in fine voice in the second half and yet again, it was a drum that did it. Big up Scolly who took on the responsibility, gave himself blisters and as always smiled all the way through it.

The beat of a drum keeps the singing momentum going, and I think it clearly has an effect on the players. It always has done.

Son of Roy, Ronco, editor and 6 others like this.
  15. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Despite my hatred of drums as a rule, I totally agree.

16. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Funny enough I'm not a fan of drums at football games. I hated the drummer when followed Latics around, you should be following and playing along with the crowd not dictating the songs (majority of which we know are generic songs heard everywhere).

It does help raise the atmosphere and players and I didn't need to be playing for all the songs.

.......... I do need to find a very long straw so I'm able to keep myself 'hydrated' through-out in future.

17. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

#LoveTheDrum

18. Pink Panther

It worked well on Saturday, but it has to be the right type of drumming. I still haven't forgotten the unbelievably tuneless Aylesbury United drummer at Champion Hill around twenty years ago. It was like when a toddler suddenly discovers he can make really loud noise by bashing two random objects together and it's the most exciting thing ever in his young life.

StephenMac likes this.
  19. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

We'll get you a CamelBak and fill it with Southey!

#LoveTheDrum

Moroccan Sunset and Nivag like this.
  20. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

We asked Gary Hammond, the percussionist in The Beautiful South and then a home and away Hamlet fan, to go and teach him how to use the drum. He declined on the grounds it was a lost cause.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Multiple cowbells are even better. A good donking pattern can completely unnerve the opposition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

I do have cowbells
    Somewhere.

Odd sticks and wrong size, so hence blisters.

Don’t want anyone to think I’ve gone soft

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Moroccan Sunset and editor like this.
  23. Pink Panther

Sounds like you've been living down south too long.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was thinking of taking a cowbell along tomorrow but I'm not sure Glebe is ready for the donk.

25. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Macca aged 5.

Lucy Fur and Pink Panther like this.
  26. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

wear gloves

27. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

agree, drum really does help with the atmosphere
    maybe its a second half thing ?
    with regard to beer and drumming, maybe we fill a runners water backpack with beer so the drummer can participate unencumbered ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  28. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Making me 25. I'll take it. Alas, that was way after my time.

clog likes this.
  29. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

the aforementioned CamelBak

takkforalt likes this.
  30. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

I think it's probs a booze thing. Soon enough we should have more than a couple who are able to play, so the drum(s) will make regular appearances.