Dulwich Hamlet vs. Wealdstone, Sat 8th September

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Cyclodunc, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Can we bounce back with a positive performance?

Interestingly, Wealdstone’s manager turned down an approach from (an)other club(s) for his services this week.

B.I.G likes this.
  2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

3. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

To be fair Bartlett was their manager for about 25 years, won four promotions and was denied a another when their shared ground at Edgware failed the grade, so he makes our Gavin look a bit of a short term stopgap by comparison.

5. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Bring it.

6. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Sexy football, do you want some? I'll give it to ya
    Been away for a couple of weeks, I can't wait for Saturday :thumbs:

B.I.G likes this.
  7. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I might well come to this.

B.I.G likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

A few team changes today. Green, Chambers and Okuonghae all start along with May, and new signings Liam Nash and Iffy Allen.

Clunis, Cook and Carew on the bench, no place for Akinyemi.

B.I.G likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

0-1 down. Flat atmosphere. Relegation is starting to look like a real possibility based on the performance so far.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15364178733188272379837750662419.jpg

passenger likes this.
  11. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Hell, this is hard going.

B.I.G likes this.
  12. YTC

YTC Human Man

Well earned point. Something to build on.

scousedom, Nivag, EDC and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pink Panther

Did well to fight our way back in the second half, terrific equaliser from Cook.

EDC and B.I.G like this.
  14. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

And in the second half? :D

15. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Very good second half especially last 20. Could have won it. Good atmosphere . Good effort put in and top marks to Jay May

the 12th man likes this.
  16. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

How was the new striker we got on loan, did he play?

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Second half was miles better and it was great to see the crowd getting behind Hamlet.

Harry R and B.I.G like this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes - he was a very good player too.

iamwithnail, GregDHFC and B.I.G like this.
  19. Pink Panther

Played the first 70 minutes, I thought he had a touch of Jamie Vardy about him; tenacious, got stuck in, backed himself to go past opponents with the ball. Played mainly on the right in a 4-2-3-1 with May as the centre forward. The other newcomer Allen played on the left and faded after a few early flashes before Clunis replaced him.

Team: Edwards - Ming, Okuonghae (c), Chambers, Green - Kargbo, Vose - Nash, Ferguson, Allen - May. Subs: Clunis (for Allen), Cook (for Nash). Not used: Taylor, Tomlin, Carew. Att.1,101

iamwithnail, editor, GregDHFC and 3 others like this.
  20. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

cracking game and good point against a very inform Wealdstone (now 6th)

Hamlet started strongly and seemed to dominate the opening passages of play
    Then Wealdstone went onto the front foot and without the brilliance of Preston Edwards, Hamlet would have been 3-0 down.

Dulwich Hamlet opportunities when they came from free kicks or corners were wasted, and Hamlet didn't seem to want to use the one great advantage we had over Wealdstone - height

The penalty from a distance looked correct, felling players in the box never looks good to a ref.
    Second half Hamlet started strongly and gradually took control, Wealdstone hardly had a shot on goal and but for the Wealdstone goal keeper Hamlet should have scored at least twice

When the goal came from Cook, it was well taken and the truth is Hamlet could have easily snatched a winner

The attendance at 1,101 (approx 200 away fans) was excellent given Hamlets recent performances, The Rabble were in particularly good form in the second half and were key in raising the tempo and atmosphere.

Once again the fans did there bit, hoping Gavin can get the players to press on, admittedly will be hard at top of the table Woking next Saturday - but then again we tend to play well against the top clubs

A point secured today raised Hamlet just above the relegation zone and a quick look at the faces of those fans leaving Imperial Fields indicated most were smiling, surely a good sign going forward

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    editor likes this.
  21. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

Edwards first save where he tipped it on the bar was unbelieveable. Looking forward to seeing it on the highlights.

Encouraging 2nd half performance.

Pink Panther and Nivag like this.
  22. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Never seen so much Stone Island at a Dulwich match.

23. cg__

cg__ New Member

Did the defence look much improved with Magnus, Chambers and Green back in the side?

24. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

It did look better but they still had their moments.
    I thought Allen looked good until he started to slow down and Nash played well with May, considering it was the first time playing together.

Poids likes this.
  25. Pink Panther

Certainly by the second half. Not surprisingly we were a bit tentative and disjointed in the first half with six changes last week's starting XI. That's our strongest back four for me, with the Sultan of Ming restored to right back. Alternatively, if we want to revert to the back three used in the last couple of seasons I'd say Taylor on the right of Okuonghae and Chambers on the left is an option.

PartisanDulwich, B.I.G and Poids like this.
  26. Poids

Poids Well-Known Member

I thought Jay May was absolutely outstanding in the second half. Really hope he keeps his place next Saturday. I always think that role requires a run of games so you can really develop a proper understanding with the players around you, but you could really see today what he can bring to the side.

27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Thats a song from now on.

Pink Panther likes this.
  28. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

I’m sitting somewhere between happy with a point and annoyed we didn’t get all three.

The shape of the team in the first half was awful. Wealdstone were more organised and looked like they had a plan, we couldn’t string any meaningful passes together. Liam showed flashes of brilliance but did little to help the team close down and looked disinterested after we conceded. He played quite wide today and is probably more effective as a central striker. Iffy was rubbish. Jay was superb. Got to everything and was let down by the positioning of the players around him.

I thought Ferguson was ineffective today. I wouldn’t start him next week but instead opt for 4-4-2 and start Liam Nash alongside Jay May. We need a shape, we need a consistent starting XI.

Defence looked good, Green no where near fit but handled himself well. Onwards and Upwards.

Poids and Pink Panther like this.
  29. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

In the same way I didn't want to rush to judgement on a bunch of lads thrown together and/or asked to play way out of position - and I think a flying right winger who did everything he could when asked to play a few games at right back in a four was very unlucky to get dropped - I'm not going to rush to judge a front four today who manifestly played like a bunch of lads who'd met in the car park because that's basically what they were.

I will conclude though that the management must have either very little faith in the existing players to believe that a front four of complete strangers would be an improvement, or that they believed that the size of the kick up the arse to certain incumbents needed was so large as to warrant such a drastic step.

Probably a mix of the two.

Either way, we looked far better once a very motivated Nyren and Cookie came on. They were the difference, and please God they both start from now on.

Interesting we seemed (from my viewpoint) to be 4-2-3-1; Vose and Kargbo worked pretty well as the 2 and I think they could function as the middle 2 of the 4 if we revert to 3-4-1-2. Quade-Magnus-Chambers with Kargbo-Vose in front sounds pretty good to me. Obviously Green at LWB. Sanchez has been one of our best players this season and it'd be a shame to see him drop out but to fit both Cook and Nyren in, he probably has to. I'd say Cook at RWB. Leaving Nyren plus one up front and a gaping number 10 sized hole in the side and squad that perhaps one of the new lads can fill.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    pompeydunc likes this.
  30. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

What's the news on Dipo? Bloody harsh if he's been binned. Was he at the ground today?

Pink Panther likes this.