Dulwich Hamlet vs Hampton & Richmond Borough, Sat 1st Sep - 3pm KO

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Aug 29, 2018.

1. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

If you're expecting Dipo to hold the ball up then you've got the wrong man. Literally not what he does/can do.

pompeydunc likes this.
  2. StephenMac

Lino bottled it when the ref consulted him. Claimed there was a push when our Michael was screaming at him.

WillClunas and Nivag like this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with that goal. Their defence screwed up big time, Clunis was fouled as he pursued a bouncing ball into the box (so a penalty should have superseded any subsequent Hamlet foul), two of their defenders impeded the keeper who ended up scrambling around for the ball as it trickled over the line, he never had the ball under control, then Clunis seemed to be penalised for forcing the ball into the net. No fucking way that wasn't a legitimate goal. The officials fudged it, I reckon the referee assumed they couldn't have screwed up that badly without someone being fouled and took a guess.

WillClunas, Nivag and StephenMac like this.
  4. StephenMac

No, you're bang on. As I say, the ref deferred to the lino who was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Pink Panther likes this.
  5. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Seen 5 games now and the last 4 being defeats . For me the biggest difference to us and the opposition is the space available when we have ball. When we have the ball all the teams have good organisation , Little space and out neat passing, flicks etc does nor penetrate. We on the other hand offer a lot of space in front of our defence ( and Kargbo) and teams at this level make good use of it .

6. Pink Panther

I'm certain that the linesman didn't raise his flag until after the referee disallowed the goal. I thought he was flagging to tell the referee the goal should stand and was expecting it to be given, but I guess we'll never know now.

StephenMac likes this.
  7. StephenMac

That's exactly what he did.

8. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

I don't think it was great, but I think everyone is being overly negative. With better refereeing, that would have finished 1-1, and suddenly it looks very different. That was 100% a goal, and from where I was standing the penalty they got was for shoulder to shoulder contact, which I don't think is a foul.

It has felt like we've had much worse referees at this level, which seems odd. I think that is often a sign of a relegation season though, when the referees make enough of a difference it often means you aren't playing that well.

9. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

It’s not about being negative I’m just saying it how it appears to me, whether I’m right or wrong is always up for debate. I sat in the stands for the 2nd half behind the dugout and it was clear to me both Gav and Kadi and in particular Gav, there was no drive, praise, enthusiasm or instruction coming from the management team. Just a lot of head in hands and if your players are seeing this it doesn’t inspire confidence. Compared to their manager who was positive throughout. It feels like the management team are used to being favourites for every game and this is new territory for them after being used to season after season competing for titles.

Whether we are competing for titles or fighting relegation we as paying fans expect the team to be as one and that is certainly not what I am seeing at the moment correct me if I wrong?

And for what’s it’s worth for our disallowed goal the ball was kicked out of the GKs hands and yes we should have been awarded a penalty in the build up.

Oh well on and upwards but a change in attitude is needed!

clog and Pink Panther like this.
  10. Don Reid

Don Reid New Member

No way!!!! he has the potential to be a Drogba style striker if he believes in himself, if I'm being honest I think the team should be
    Preston
    Quade? Mags Chambers
    Mings?? ibby ferguson Green
    Vose
    Clunis dippo
    I love Carew and cookie but as senior players they've had lots of the ball and not stamped there name in the team as yet

11. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

If you look very carefully you can just see the referee was shite. And the linesman was also shite.

12. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Ah, so the team photo I took yesterday will be nice and out of date soon.

13. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Good stuff: I for one am looking forward to the annual return of Omar Koroma and Sulaiman Bangura.

14. Pink Panther

I'll certainly be interested to the disallowed goal on the highlights video. I was directly behind the goal towards the back and the ball looked well over the line before our player went near the keeper, forcing it into the net as he tried to claw it back, rather like the goal that never was against East Thurrock. As for their penalty I thought that was fairly straightforward: a foolish challenge with no possibility of winning the ball, invited Dickson to go down, made it easy for the referee to give the penalty. Did Taylor play the ball? No. Did he play the man? Yes. Penalty. It wasn't a legitimate shoulder charge because he wasn't within playing distance of the ball. Having said that, Hampton were masters of the infuriating "shielding the ball" with arms outstretched as it runs away from them, preventing the forward from getting near it, tactic. That's not legitimately shielding the ball, it's obstruction, and I don't understand why referees allow it.

I thought we were marginally the better side for the first half hour yesterday, but once we fell behind we just faded away, and in the second half we were outfought and out-thought by opponents showing all the familiar traits of teamwork and determination we saw from Gary McCann's Hendon teams over the last five seasons. Akinyemi looked pretty strong during the early part of the game having predictably been restored to the starting XI following an encouraging contribution at Slough. I hope he won't be dropped again next week; I don't think we can keep shuffling the pack every week, we need to put faith in a few people to deliver over a period of matches and he's still aged only 21 with the potential to grow stronger with more experience.

On the plus side it was good to see Green and Chambers back on the field by the end of the game. With Okuonghae back too I think we'll look much better. There seems to be a dearth of leaders right now. We lost Weatherstone, Hayles, Acheampong and Beaney in the summer and not enough of the newcomers seem to have the same leadership qualities as those four. However we did turn it around at Slough which was encouraging.

A new left back was on the bench, Abdul Aziz Deen-Conteh: Aziz Deen-Conteh - Player Profile 18/19

Team (4-3-1-2): Edwards - Cook, Kamara(c), Taylor, Ming - Carew, Kargbo, Vose - Ferguson - Akinyemi, Clunis. Subs: Tomlin (for Akinyemi), Green (for Ming), Chambers (for Carew), Guimaraes, Deen-Conteh (not used). Att.815

GregDHFC and clog like this.
  15. HFCJohn

HFCJohn Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good summary. I was stood about level with the penalty spot outside the bar in the first half and I couldn't see any infringement for the disallowing of the early goal. Looked perfectly good from where I was, I thought the ball had crossed the line before Lovelock clawed it away and the assistant did only flag after the man in the middle had blown for the foul.

Aside from that and the shot from Dipo that Lovelock beat away, there wasn't a lot of attacking threat from Hamlet until late on when I think Ferguson was denied by a good save.

Hampton looked the more streetwise of the two sides overall - there's a lot of experience in the spine with Downer, Corcoran, Dundas and Dickson and that showed. They were happy to sit in and let Hamlet pass it around in front of them, but the moment it got into the final third, everything broke down. Even at a goal down, I was amazed that there wasn't a bit more urgency in the Hamlet passing - it was all two or three touch and very pretty, but was safe and completely lacked any penetration. No-one seemed able to take the game by the scruff of the neck - I always think Carew has it in him to do that when I see him.

The penalty looked clear from where I was, Dickson beat Taylor and was balked as he looked to go past him.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I understand you had a few missing today. Next week will be a big test, I saw Wealdstone beat Woking a couple of weeks ago and their second half performance was excellent - particularly the two central midfielders.

Will be down again later in the season, I'm sure - wishing you all the best for the coming months.

16. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

Having watched it from the DHFCTV angle, I still think now what I thought at the time from behind the goal: that was a goal.

/grumble grumble

17. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

To be honest I think we could chuck that quote at most of the teams we’ve faced this season. There isn’t much between us, maybe 5-10%. But it’s a bugger and it is making a difference. What I find frustrating is our “home form”.

I take some sort of comfort that we aren’t being outplayed and I hope/trust we can wise up before too long and we’re adrift at the bottom.

Pink Panther likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Preston gave a similar view in the bar. That they didn't perform as they can and that they have to improve

20. Pink Panther

I don't see any compelling evidence to disallow it. Frankly the defending was so incompetent Hampton didn't really deserve any benefit of the doubt, and Clunis was pulled back before the mad scramble occurred. However the first Hampton goal is painful to watch as a sequence of Hamlet players are too tentative or indecisive, and the penalty couldn't really be a much more obvious foul.

21. Cyclodunc

No idea what their defender who kicked the ball into his own face before the disallowed goal was thinking.

My photos show the ball on the line with the 'keeper having one hand on the ball before it went in.

Oh well, it's done now. A crumb of comfort: it shows we can capitalise on mistakes made by the opposition. Unlucky that it was disallowed.

Pink Panther likes this.
  22. Cyclodunc

Someone has pointed out that if a goalie is touching the ball with one hand it is deemed that the ball is in their possession so an attacker cannot kick it in that situation. Didn't know that!

23. Pink Panther

I believe the definition is that he has to have the ball under control between two surfaces, i.e. his hands, or one hand and his body, or one hand and the ground. Watching live with a fairly clear view I just don't think he ever did much more than get a touch on the ball and didn't have it under control.

Anyway, the way the remainder of the match unfolded it's highly doubtful we'd have got even one point if that goal had stood.

24. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has seen Gavin's interview, but he said he's going to look to change '4, 5, maybe 6' players. I'll be quite intrigued to see who gets booted - I suspect Kargbo's well-documented pre-season antics may come back to haunt him: Dickson ran him ragged on Saturday.

6 is an awful lot of players though and whichever way I cut it hypothetically, it looks like some of Gavin's favourites may have run out of time. I think the interesting thing about Saturday was that the two players that have seemingly irked either Gavin or us Urban inhabitants, Figueira and Pappoe, weren't even in the squad at the weekend. I think it makes it clear that our problems extend beyond both of those players, but importantly, if they were going to get released, then why weren't they released before the Hampton game? It almost suggests they'll get a stay of execution.

I've got a nasty feeling Quade may get binned. He did give away the penalty, but he made 2 or 3 vital blocks in the second half. It could quite easily have been 4-0 without him. He won't come up against many better strikers than Chris Dickson in this division either. I hope he stays.

25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Personally I think Quade will stay, he's been playing out of position and has done well with what he's been tasked with excluding giving a penalty away.
    Hopefully when Chambers is fully fit the defence will start to gel together and batten down the hatches.
    When Green is back that'll give the width needed down the left and hopefully that'll create some extra space on the right as it should pull the other teams defence across to cover the threat.
    I do feel we need to change the midfield, Vose has been good but we're struggling with tracking back to help defence and being able hold the ball comfortably when attacking.

Poids likes this.
  26. Pink Panther

Vose and Carew in the same midfield is starting to look like Beaney & Carew when opponents are pressing us in the middle third and denying us sustained possession. Perhaps if we have the right personnel fit and available to revert to 3-5-2 we might be less vulnerable in this area?

Which antics are these? It was noticeable that Kargbo wasn't starting in the major fixtures towards the end of pre-season so I was surprised when he was in the starting XI at Welling.

I saw the interview too. As I said when we chatted at half time on Saturday, players under contract can't be offloaded unless it's by mutual agreement and I'm not certain exactly who is or isn't under contract. I assumed Byron Lawrence was on contract and he's already gone. I assumed most of the players who were "confirmed" signings during pre-season would be under contract, but maybe not? A lot of the newcomers, including Pappoe and Figueira, seem to have been discarded by Premier League clubs at post-Academy level then spent several seasons trying their luck here and there without ever playing regularly for anyone. Gavin has managed to rehabilitate a few similar players in recent years, notably Michael Chambers, Quade Taylor and Ibra Sekajja, but it does seem like a bit of a gamble compared to bringing in someone who has been a regular starter for someone at a similar level. I'd love to have Marc Weatherstone back right now.

I thought Chris Dickson was a real handful on Saturday. He and Craig Dundas, who scored Hampton's other goal, were among the best Hamlet players during the "dark ages" of the last decade in Division 1 South. Dicko was one of the most exciting and charismatic players I've seen in a Hamlet shirt, scoring an incredible 37 goals in just 41 games for us starting at the fag end of the 2005/6 season under Wayne Burnett and ending when he secured a move to Charlton in March the following season. The last time saw him play was in an FA Premier Reserve League match at The Valley against Portsmouth, in which he scored four times in a 6-0 win and totally outshone his strike partner Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. His fourth goal in that match was an outrageous piece of showboating in which he ran most of the length of the pitch, tricked his way past a string of challenges rather than paying a simple pass, and stuck the ball in the net at the end of it to a standing ovation from a crowd of a couple of thousand. He wasn't eligible for the first team as he'd joined outside the transfer window otherwise he may well have got stright into the Premier League side under Alan Pardew. Unfortuately that was the year Charlton droped out of the Premier League, Pardew left, and new manager Phil Parkinson didn't seem to fancy him. There was a decent loan spell and plenty of goals at Gillingham, but also a bizarre injury in which he was reported to have tripped on a staircase in the team hotel after which it was the familar tale of the lower league player who couldn't quite make the most of his shot at the big time before drifting through a sequence of different clubs. I noticed he was at Chelmsford last season and hoped he might come back to us once we reached the same level, but it wasn't to be.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  27. Cyclodunc