Dulwich Hamlet vs Hampton & Richmond Borough, Sat 1st Sep - 3pm KO

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Aug 29, 2018.

1. YTC

YTC Human Man

This Saturday.

Let's push for an attendance of 1000+!

Please RT the below if you can, and if not share our post on FB. Let's make sure everyone that knows about the club know's this game is on.

iamwithnail and takkforalt like this.
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Champion Hill since #EnfieldGate but what does the fixture board in the park outside say?

Does it redirect people to Tooting? Or is it blank?

YTC likes this.
  3. YTC

YTC Human Man

It does direct them yes

pettyboy and B.I.G like this.
  4. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

The last time I went past it, the trees & foliage were blocking it...

I wanted to blame Meadows, but was told it's either Nature or Southwark's fault.

all to nah likes this.
  5. HFCJohn

HFCJohn Well-Known Member

I'm gonna head along to this - evening commitments mean I can't make it to Swindon for Hendon's game.

Be good to see some friendly and familiar faces amongst the home fans and the visiting coaching and playng staff.

Pink Panther likes this.
  6. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

To be honest what with getting used to like in the National South I forgot all about the shifting* of Ryman teams around the leagues.

How's it going?

* change vowel if it feels appropriate

7. HFCJohn

HFCJohn Well-Known Member

Ha!

To be honest, so far it's been better than expected. Only one of last season's squad is still with us and even he signed for St Albans originally. Considering, 8 points from 5 games is a decent start, but we were taken apart by Harrow on Monday. The quality feels quite a bit weaker than last season's Bostik - I suspect weaker than this season's Bostik too. So far, quite an enjoyable escapade though.

8. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Travel alert...

Just noticed that the usual direct trains from Herne Hill and Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction don’t seem to be running today. There are Thameslink service alterations due to engineering works.

An alternative is to go from either of those to Wimbledon (half hourly service) and then get the tram to Mitcham but that adds about 20 mins to the journey time.

Railway Engineering Work | Train Construction Work | Thameslink

9. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That's a pain in the neck. I wanted to avoid going via Norwood Junction today as Palace are at home and that's an alternative route screwed up. Trains from Victoria to Mitcham Junction via Clapham Junction and Balham are still running.

dcdulwich likes this.
  10. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Thanks Pink Panther - I knew you’d be on top of any alternatives.

Pink Panther likes this.
  11. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

National Rail Enquiries is showing the simplest route from East Dulwich as taking the Caterham service to East Croydon (departs at 28 & 58 past the hour) then tram to Mitcham, journey time 46 minutes. I think that's a variation from the regular timetable.

12. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

2:0 down if anyone’s not here... cheap goal first half and a dodgy penno 2nd half.

Annie May likes this.
  13. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The away supporters singing is there a fire drill sums up the game.

darryl likes this.
  14. gnar182

First 25 mins we were really good today, absolute shite after that....

That said everyone’s allowed an off day and i I suppose it’s better to take one against a decent team.

There’s enough there to expect we’d be pushing towards upper mid table but I wish people would stop appaulding shots that go out near the corner flags, doesn’t always pay to be positive.......

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Not pretty to watch that, again defensively we were awful! The team spirit was poor no drive and passion (unlike last season with Benney and Whethers). I know this is a step up but you need more than flicks and back heels to get something from this league!

The atmosphere was poor not much singing it felt like a lazy afternoon in the sun! Gav looked dejected and it appeared he couldn’t rouse the troops, worrying times ahead!

Can’t help but think if we keep losing like this the crowds will slip, on that note what is happening with the discussions with all
    parties regards CH? What is the council doing and what is on the agenda when the club meet Meadows in September?

16. gnar182

I agree with your assessment of the performance but I don’t think crowds will be adversely affected, we have a fantastic core group of fans that bring in a lot of fairweather/casual fans, they’ll turn up whatever with the draw of cheep lager and a great standard of football considering the price.

17. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

We're definitely missing a leader in the team and the two lazy non-tackles that lead to their first goal was poor. They should never have been able to get the ball in the box.
    The penalty they got was soft if not even a penalty from what I could see.

18. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Very tepid and toothless. Relegation fights are very exciting though. And I still think they’ll survive.

darryl and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  19. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

We are in serious levels of shit. Hampton contained us with ease and after our early bluster, we offered no threat. Taper is right: we're completely toothless. I think the consequences of our years of playing every ball to feet and refusing to shoot are really coming home to roost - you might get away with it in the Isthmian, but you clearly don't at this level, where most teams seem to be defensively organised. I don't think I've ever seen Gavin watch us play with his head in his hands, either.

Quade and Dipo both played well, the rest varied from average to poor. Clunis cannot be played through the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if the annual September cull comes in this week.

That said, I think we'll pick up once Green comes back into the side. He gives us width and a serious threat down the left that currently is nonexistent. Chambers and Magnus will be a massive improvement on Kamara when they return and May seemed to link up well with Cook and Nyren when he played with them v Chelmsford.

Completely second pitchfork's questions above: what's the latest with the ground? When are the meetings with Meadow happening? Why have Helen Hayes and Peter John gone quiet after their initial rhetoric?

20. Don Reid

Don Reid New Member

We looked toothless today, dipo didn't hold the ball up well enough so that our midfield could get into the final third TO PLAY, also the defence need to play the ball to the midfield and trust them rather than going over the top because we're a possession based side and every team so far are scared when we get it down and play

21. Moroccan Sunset

Lord knows what they've got to be scared about - we (bar Vose) don't create chances and we don't shoot. Death by 1000 passes, maybe?

22. gnar182

Don’t agree with that at all, think there was several instances today where he held the ball up very well.

23. Moroccan Sunset

Completely agree. Think Dipo is by far our best striker and I think he plays better with a run of games under his belt.

Pink Panther and scousedom like this.
  24. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

Thought H&R were the best side over 90mins I’ve seen Hamlet play this season. Missed past 3 games.

Apart from opening 10 mins thought H&R we in control. Some quite experienced players for them in Downer and Dunbass who’ve been at Sutton in the past few seasons. their number 5 was one of the Hendon CB’s in the playoff final, thought he was excellent that day and thought the same again today along with their RB.

Think this year may well be a struggle. Once a settled back line is in place with Magnus, Chambers, Green all back in the side and up to speed then would like to think that will improve things significantly.

25. Don Reid

Don Reid New Member

Dipo didn't play badly!!! just went missing when we needed the ball to stick so ferguson could gamble and link up with the front men
    The cull might have to come quicker than gavin wanted sentiment /loyalty isn't working

26. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Gavin gave us a very honest interview after the game that is well worth a view on Monday, he says he has seen enough of the players we currently have, and will be looking to bring in changes. Said we weren’t good at all and badly let down fans who pay to watch us. Respect for sayin what he did.

Pink Panther, Nivag, darryl and 2 others like this.
  27. gnar182

I don’t think he did, he was playing in a role that he maybe isn’t accustomed to and did well enough, would argue that given he was in Tomlin’s previous role he offered a lot more than Gav does, he doesn’t drop so deep and actually offers some attacking threat aswell as trying to link play.

I think the opposition today were the best team we’ve played so far and that needs to be put into consideration when you criticise.

Are you saying Dipo should be part of the cull? Please elaborate?

28. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

With my cynical head on: Nothing to do with the local elections being done and won I suppose?

29. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why the goal we scored in the opening minutes was disallowed?
    Just looking through the photos I took and it can't be offside.

30. Moroccan Sunset

Politicians opportunistically using the plight of a local community to gain power? Surely, surely not.

Nivag and StephenMac like this.