Dulwich Hamlet vs Chippenham Town, Saturday 29th September 2018, 3pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by WillClunas, Sep 28, 2018.

1. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

We seem to get that a lot, which is encouraging, as long as we're not still getting it at the end of the season.

2. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

A couple of great saves from Preston too!

editor likes this.
  3. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I know I keep bringing this up, but his constant selection is absolute madness. His sloppy ball from kick off was responsible for getting Chambers booked within 10 seconds and he looks like a completely spent force. He doesn't get stuck in nearly half as much as he used to, he pulls out of challenges regularly, his link up play can be inspired one second but inept the next. I think that broken leg last season has taken a massive toll on him, both mentally and physically, and I do sympathise, but picking him ahead of Iffy Allen and Liam Nash is beyond questionable. It was interesting to hear some supporters today saying he should retire.

Enough whinging. Thought we played well - I've seen us play miles worse than we did in the first half today (reference that entire season we tried to insist Ian Daly was a striker). Second half was good and Dipo demonstrated why he should be our #9 going forward: I'd really like to see him and May paired up. Even when Dipo is not at his best, he's such a handful with his hassling of defenders and when he is at his best he offers a goal threat that no one else in our squad does.

Ferguson played well again and it's good to see him looking more and more comfortable in that box-to-box, all-action midfield role. Really pleased to see Quade start too: if we switch back to a back 3, I'd be happy with him, Magnus and Chambers. I thought he did well today and I actually think that he can be every bit as good as Chambers, if not better, if he's given a solid run of games.

A big three points.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

A beautiful autumnal day at Imperial fields
    seemed more than 717 - many season tickets went via side entrance I noted
    Surprised Chippenham had a dark kit not to dissimilar to our own
    The first half was certainly one to forget
    second half was just wave after of wave of Dulwich Hamlet attack
    and to be honest 4-1 would have been a fair reflection

Dipo was (again) class today

Because while we hit the post a few more times - Preston made a couple of great saves

It was very noticeable that Chippenham players were arguing amongst themselves in the second half

Great atmosphere, especially second half - Rabble are really amazing (credit to all))

The kids zone area worked well and the team photo went down well
    The beer stall looked very professional and sure bringing in vital revenue along with 12th man and 50/50 - Cannot praise our volunteers enough

Still loving the palms

were heading for mid table - all I ever wanted this season

Keep it coming

editor likes this.
  5. cg__

cg__ Member

Thought Dipo and Ferguson were especially great today. Dipo was just such a handful

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  6. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

I thought Ferguson was very poor in the first half. For a big, strong guy he doesn't really compete for the second balls nearly as much as I'd like. He was certainly better in the second half but I don't think I'd pick him ahead of Carew, Cook or Allen. I thought Kargbo was magnificent today. His positioning, interceptions and ball distribution were outstanding and I really hope his injury isn't serious. I agree that we have the players to play either a flat back four or with a back 3 with wing-backs.

7. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

We have stewards on the side gate to mark down season tickets. Yesterday 225 turned up which is approximately half of those issued.

StephenMac likes this.
  8. PartisanDulwich

MEDIA=twitter]1046094149139730433[/MEDIA]

editor likes this.
  9. cg__

cg__ Member

I was also surprised to hear the attendance was 717, I assumed it was a fair bit more. Then again, that was just a total guess from my part. It did feel like there were more young kids around that usual, and coupled with the warm weather and general good vibe, there was a very Champion Hill atmosphere.

Just makes it not being a home stadium all the more painful though I guess. An equivalent fixture at Champion Hill would have got hundreds more attendees, maybe even double? It's also a shame to hear only half the season ticket holders showed up, I would expect a bit better tbh

Moroccan Sunset and Pink Panther like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I dream of a day when a forest of palm trees arises on the terraces amongst the Rabble. Two is not enough.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  11. DulwichHammer

DulwichHammer It's coming keeper!

Yer just a feckin romantic at heart, ain'tcha!

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Agree with the majority of the post -

Attendance: Thought it looked and felt more, maybe 800? Again very much guess work & loosely based upon the 50/50 prize fund

Families: Fantastic to see them with the kids, hopefully that initiative may have helped disprove the “travelling to Imperial Fields is really awkward” myth & encourage a few more to come on a more regular basis.

Champion Hill: It’s bloody soul destroying that we’re not there in what should be a momentous season. All the crowds will be significantly down as we can’t just get the walk up effect where we are. We’re also missing the students that liked a drink and even those “patrons” that used to just stand around chatting without really taking an interest in the game. I’d love 100 of these to be here every match..

Season Tickets: Not sure what you’d like. I know that there were 3 family members that have season tickets that weren’t there yesterday. Two live approx. 100 miles away! In the past they’ve never purchased a ST and have never gone to enough games to warrant one. Yet at a time when the club needed funds they stepped up knowing that effectively they’d be out of pocket.

It’s a cheap shot to knock non-attending ST holders, I mean it’s not as if their absence has an adverse effect on things such as vast rows of empty seats.

What we should try to address is the 500-600 floaters that aren’t here. But thankfully it seems as if people within the club, the trust & fan base are doing this.

clog, darryl, Jimbob73 and 5 others like this.
  14. cg__

cg__ Member

I think it's a bit much to call it a cheap shot. I don't know what the normal attendance % is for ST holders, I just assumed it was more than 50%. Apologies if it came off as such. In an ideal world more than 50% of them would be there, just for increased attendance and support, but obviously personal circumstance gets in the way.

But you are right, they have already paid for their games across the season, so the more important issue are the floaters. I would have thought yesterday would have been the perfect day to get more floaters down, because of the nice weather especially, so I was a bit disappointed by the 717. It was a still a great day out of course

Pink Panther, Matt The Cab and Ronco like this.
  15. PartisanDulwich

16. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Should agree which pitch to start songs on and all stick to that!

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. PartisanDulwich

cannot wait to see those palm trees in the snow

19. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

When I arrived at 2:50 I was told I can't go in through turnstyle with my season ticket. Never have I had that problem before also there was no queue.

20. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

That’s been the system last 3/4 homes games...

21. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

When we get back to Champion Hill some of the DHST funds could be used to buy some real palm trees. It would start to look a bit like Tracy Island.

TracyIsland.jpg

22. PartisanDulwich

23. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

I would love to get to more home games but life/family/work takes preference. As a season ticket holder though I've done my bit before a ball was kicked.

GregDHFC, Harry R and PartisanDulwich like this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Yep, can't see the game for fucking inflatables... ;)

EDC and Pink Panther like this.
  25. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

I was guilty of some "Spinal Tap visits Elvis' grave" stuff on Saturday I think :(

"no you can't hit that note"

26. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

With regard to the attendance on Saturday...

There is no purpose to fiddling gates, other than to get the taxman on your back (Hellow Meadows cock-up...allegedly!)

Someone asked me what I thought the gate was on Sautrday, I had a rough look round and I said I'm not even going to try to work it out, but it looks about 650 to 700, as a rough guess. They said they thought it was about 680. So it was 717...which looked about right.

A lot of season ticket holders aren't in a position to go to many games, either long-distance, fans of professional clubs, other commitments, as well as people who can'tget to many/any games but feel they are supporting the Club through very difficult times by purchasing a season ticket in the summer.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    darryl and the 12th man like this.
  27. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I can't believe this has gone under the radar. The Leyton Buzzards, their first '45 was a wonderful punk thrash "19 & Mad chs2288f.jpg " evolved into the new romantic Modern Romance. Never liked them really as they were Spurs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I have that very same 45. Great track.

29. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I have that very same dislike. Great call.

30. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Really convincing win, I thought - and I still don't think we're playing to our best so it's encouraging to be able to hope that there's still much better to come. As mentioned above, I think Dipo and May could form a great partnership for us this season (I'm assuming May had a knock at the weekend?). When you consider that we still have players like May, Carew and Cook knocking on the door for a start, I think the squad's looking in pretty good shape and it's pleasing to see them starting to turn things around without the need for the massive overhaul that Gav had threatened.

Just one thing - did anyone else find it really difficult to tell the two teams apart in those kits? I half-expected our lot to come out for the second half in the pink kit.

Also: that yellow card for Chambers must be close to a world record? Seemed to me like the foul was only about 2 seconds into the game.

EDC likes this.