Dulwich Hamlet vs Chelmsford, Sat 26th Jan, 3.00pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I think that's 6, which has to be the highest seasonal total for a good few years and we still have a third of the season to go. Three of them have been in the last five games.

Chambers is suddenly getting hammered with yellow cards by referees. He'll be suspended next Saturday now. I can't recall him ever being suspended and he's certainly never been sent off in our colours before.

Lyham likes this.
  2. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

City fans came in good numbers today and provided passionate away support of 200 - 250 - seem to get what were trying to build re community club - so respect to them

3. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

Thought Chelmsford were a strong team and our 10 men worked really hard. Their keeper made a save at the end to prevent the score being 2-2. Nathan Ferguson and Anthony Cook were very effective. No points but of the 5 teams above us only Hemel got points. Should have beaten East Thurrock last week, they are only 4 points behind now.

4. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

#Legends Ossie Bayram was there today. Also saw Phil Wilson in the bar. He has just recovered from the ankle injury at Glebe and has now broken a finger.

5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Took great heart from today. The change in self-belief after we equalised was extraordinary. Goes to show how important and fragile confidence is. Don't know about MC's second yellow but it looked like a stonewall penalty for us at the end of the first half for handball. We go ag-whooga-wenga-ain.

Also, fuck Aylesbury FC.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Moroccan Sunset and Pink Panther like this.
  6. StephenMac

Oh, Nathan Mavila was excellent.

7. PartisanDulwich

Generally positive feedback from City fans re away day at Champion hill only negative I could see posted

"£5 pound for a real crap burger"

#Tripadvisor

8. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

We all like decent food but I still think we need a classic football burger that's under £4

EDC, the 12th man and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  9. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Qué?

10. StephenMac

Just making doubly sure my post wouldn't qualify for inclusion in a Brixton Buzz report.

EDC likes this.
  11. E16_DHFC

E16_DHFC Active Member

You talk about ‘community’ in nearly every post. Please could you confirm what exactly you mean by that. As you can probably tell from my forum moniker, i’m From east London and want to double check with you it’s still ok for me to attend.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  12. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

You're not the furthest person to travel to a Dulwich home so I wouldn't worry about if you're eligible to attend or not. Everyone is welcome at Champion Hill

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  13. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

And sure we as a Football Club ARE part of that community. Reminds me of the scaremongering whenever a local NIMBY group opposes something the club want to do.. Dulwich Hamlet: a part of the community at the heart of the community since 1893 is what I say!

14. Dulwich Mishi

That is true.. but I don’t quite thing that’s the point the person was making or what they were saying...

15. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Dulwich Hamlet FC wants to be rooted in its local community which is particularly the boroughs of Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham.
    However, it openly welcomes everybody who identifies with ethics and values of the club.
    In doing so it creates its own stand alone community as well

16. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

Can’t fault the performance today. The lads pressed hard, fought for every ball and punched forward with a determination last seen Boxing Day. The link up between Mavila and Green caused all soughts of havoc and their RB should have been sent off for three bookable offences (only received one). Chelmsford were helped by the referee who ruined a very competitive game of football after 35 minutes when he showed chambers a second yellow (perhaps the ref was running out of steam/ needed the game slowed down himself?).

Green took his header well and from then until half time we were on top. Chelmsford played neat and tidy down the wings and put in some dangerous crosses but that was it. They fell over a lot, ate up minutes to slow down the game which gave the ref plenty of time to have smiles and giggles with them.

We ran out of steam in the second half and Chelmsford made the extra man count with players going on dribbles our defence couldn’t commit to. When they scored that was game over. We didn’t have the bodies or legs to stop that goal and Chelmsford walked away with a routine win.

Despite the result it felt like a step in the right direction. Play the same XI on Tuesday. Ask them to play with the same passion. Let’s see what happens.

GK-Preston
    CB’s- Taylor, Magnus, Chambers
    RWB/LWB- Cook, Mvilla
    CM’s- Ferguson, Vose
    RM/LM- Clunis, Green
    ST- Thompson

The Toasties were delicious.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    JoeBoy1959 likes this.
  17. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Active Member

Toasties are a welcome addition to the culinary offer.

18. Dulwich Mishi

I wasn’t at the game,stuck at work. How much were the toasties & what was the range?

19. Pink Panther

This is the vendor's website:

WARM & TOASTIE

I would have given them a try but I'd already eaten before leaving home. From memory they had three options: standard cheese, brie, goat's cheese and I think they were all priced at £6. There were also some fancy seasoned chips.

Cat Daisy likes this.
  20. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Not much to add really apart from that I thought it was one of the best performances for weeks. Even with ten men, we caused problems and were the better team IMO.

Strong performances all round but I thought Quade, Ferguson and Cook were outstanding. I really liked the idea of popping Quade into the Makelele role - I think he's got the intelligence to play that position and it's what he originally did before Palace moved him to a centre half. He looked a little bit rusty at first, but generally I thought he did well and read the danger before it hit our backline. Would really like to see him given another chance there on Saturday, think it'll give us a bit more balance in the middle.

Serving of a humble pie for me: felt Magnus made a huge difference at the back and gives us a bit of presence. Some of his blocks were brilliant and I'm not sure I can remember him losing a header.

You may all need to sit down for this, but for the time that we had 11 men on the pitch, I really enjoyed Clunis's performance. Thought he caused lots of problems flying down the right flank/channel - I'd forgotten how good he is on the wing. Became less effective when he was shoved inside, but again, hope he's given a chance to bed back in to that winger role. He looks so much more comfortable.

Really positive stuff. I have hope again!

bkbk and Pink Panther like this.
  21. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

Yes, I pre-loaded with cheese so didn't try them in the end. Hopefully they will be back though. The ones I saw looked good!

As someone who was from the local community but now travels from further afield, this is a good definition.

As for the game, thought there were a number of strong performances including Mavila but the ref didn't help. Couldn't wait to wave that red card - second foul was definitely yellow but the first was harsh - and unlike last week didn't seem keen to even up the numbers afterwards. Even after Chelmsford's second goal, there were moments when I thought we might nick another equaliser but sadly not to be.

Pink Panther likes this.
  22. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Thought it was a decent performance and we battled well. It can't be overlooked though that we have got 1 point from our last 6 games. That's crisis form and just can't be ignored. Have played for teams that have been relegated and you know you are in trouble when those involved just say "things will improve", "we're too good to go down" etc. I would bet on us getting relegated after yesterday.

23. Pink Panther

There were two clear yellow card fouls in a match that was never dirty. The second yellow for Chambers and the one where their right back brought down Green as he accelerated into a big space with the rest of the defence looking stretched. Some referees will always feel the need to show additional yellow cards, but those were the two that just had to be yellow cards and it beggars belief that one was excused. (The same player was ultimately shown Chelmsford's only yellow card of the match five minutes before half-time.)

Trying to keep a sense of perspective, they're a good side on a par with the likes of Bath, if not Torquay, and even if we'd kept eleven men on the field with a different referee they might have found another way to beat us.

Having two quick wide men on each flank made us look a lot more dangerous going forward, although at times Thompson looked a bit isolated without getting enough close support. It remains to be seen whether that was a specific strategy for that match or we'll persevere with it.

The key whenever a mid/lower table side raises its game against strong opponents is that the same level needs to be consistently attained against the more limited opponents. It's a pity we're not playing Hampton and East Thurrock in the next couple of matches because I'd be more confident of beating them now, but Concord looked nothing special back in August and we beat Welling over two games in the Trophy a couple of months back.

24. PartisanDulwich

From Chelmsford Fan Forum (some very positive feedback)

GrumpyClaret
    Had an interesting chat with one of their directors after the game - the thing that came across was that the club's success (gates of less than 200 a decade ago) was firmly built around integration with its community. They had five stewards yesterday, none in the crowd, could sell and drink beer on the terraces, had dozens of women and kids attending, and a happy (despite recent results) atmosphere completely, different to most clubs. They benefit obviously from being in a fairly affluent part of the capital with good transport links, and although we could never replicate everything they've achieved, there are many things they've done that could work even if we can't rebuild or move from MP.

FC83
    Dulwich have hit upon an absolutely magic formula and there is a lot all clubs in our league could learn from how they run match day. They have benefitted from the rapid gentrification of the Dulwich area. Compared to 10 years ago when we played Fisher at Champion Hill the whole area and demographics of the area has changed. Its full of proffessional's in their 20's and 30's and they've tapped into what they want want e.g. good food, good beer, a fun match day experience, a cracking bar and basically making it a good place to spend time time on a Saturday. I've never seem so many women at a non league game. Its a huge success story getting the locals so interested.

Is it sustainable in the long run? The nature of areas like that in London is people move into the area in their 20's and then move out again in there 30's. Is this a fad for a few years or have they transformed their club for the long run? It'll be interesting to see what happens.

PeterFoster
    Yes. I felt that for the Dulwich faithful it seemed to be almost a cathedral experience....

ChelmsfordCharlie
    We should get a rep at every one of their home matches for the rest of the season. Never seen anything like it, it was a fantastic experience.

Praise indeed for our match day organisation and support, (so firstly credit to our many volunteers who make match day a success) but to maintain our huge fan base, we will have to continue to learn, make changes continue our close links to our community (local schools, charities, youth football teams, pubs etc) and hopefully turn things around on the pitch

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    JoeBoy1959, YTC, blueheaven and 3 others like this.
  25. editor

editor Forked with electrons

26. editor

editor Forked with electrons

27. Pink Panther

I like the fact that he seemed especially impressed by our boxing gym. He reminds me of a younger Craig Edwards with better hair.

pettyboy, Moroccan Sunset and editor like this.