Dulwich Hamlet vs Brentford, LSC semi-final, Tues 12th Feb, 7.45pm

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, Jan 21, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

See you there! Will bring scarf dosh!

2. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

West London's second biggest team progress after a close run game, bit more composure and movement off the ball did it for them. Dulwich weren't disgraced, hit the post and had lost of possession. An enjoyable evening despite the result, maybe next year.

3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Brentford's extra speed and sharpness gave them an edge to begin with but Hamlet competed well and Onovwigun almost scored a memorable first Hamlet goal, jinking past several challenges with a powerful run into the box only to see his shot come back off the post. The only goal came just after the hour when our debutant goalkeeper was wrongfooted by a deflected shot that eluded his attempt to change direction and bobbled agonisingly into the net.

Our fourth consecutive semi-final exit in this competition, and the second time we've missed contesting the final at Champion Hill. It's getting as bad as the FA Cup with the semi on the same ground as the final.

Team (4-4-2): Jørgensen - Toure, Essuman, Baghuelou, Mavila - Clunis, Onovwigun, Taylor (c), Ferguson - Sheriff, Pryce. Subs: Cook (for Toure), Vose (for Onovwigun), Thompson ((for Pryce), Splatt, Chambers (not used). Attendance: 536

Moroccan Sunset and Nivag like this.
  4. pengedragon

pengedragon Member

Quade is becoming a more accomplished midfielder by the game, really impressive

Pink Panther and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  5. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

If we had converted one of the first half chances they would have struggled to get back into the game. Their defence was being opened up each time someone ran at them with the ball. Vose went through them a few times.

6. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

He went through them on the very few occasions he didn't give the ball away! We'd have been better keeping Onovwigun on.

On the topic of Vose, has anyone ever seen him come over/clap the fans at the end? I could be wrong, but I can't recall a single occasion.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    pompeydunc likes this.
  7. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

In fairness, he originally was a midfielder: it was Palace's fantastic idea to try to turn him into a centre half. I think he looks so much more comfortable in that Makelele role in front of the backline.

pengedragon likes this.
  8. Trimmy

Trimmy Member

I think Jørgensen did well, especially in keeping out that second, second half, goal. I was the other end of the pitch but he was clearly beaten and then extended his not inconsiderable leg to block the shot on goal. He fills the net.

Attached Files:

3010 likes this.
  9. Pink Panther

I've no idea, it's not something I look out for. If players spontaneously do that, great; like shaking hands with opponents after the final whistle. Otherwise it's just an empty gesture like the choreographed pre-match handshakes, or "respect" logos worn by people who don't appear to know the meaning of the word.

Matt The Cab likes this.
  10. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

That was one hell of a performance against full-time pros. Really impressed. They're just too fit and move too quickly, with and without the ball. Was terrifying.

YTC, Trimmy, Pink Panther and 3 others like this.
  11. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Considering their rather dashing, blond winger has two caps for Iceland - I think we did bloody well last night. A very different type of LSC exit to recent years!

Kolbeinn Finnsson - Wikipedia

12. editor

Their number 2 was a bit uppity.

I thought we played really well and on another day could have perhaps bagged a win.

13. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

The camera on the enormous pole made the biggest difference. Clear psychological warfare

14. Pink Panther

Their camera crew also had one of those furry microphone things to pick up sound from the pitch. I was hoping B.I.G would be standing near it but I didn't see him last night .

B.I.G and YTC like this.
  15. editor

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I was there sitting in my usual spot or as close as I could get considering their camera crew wiped out some of the normal space. Still on my best behaviour, although Poids and I were talking about the opposition manager and how he seemed to focus on his own players rather than appealing for throws or shouting at the ref, which was nice.

WillClunas, YTC, Pink Panther and 3 others like this.
  17. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

It'll never catch on

18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Not amongst failing Conference South / Ryman managers anyway.

Pink Panther likes this.
  19. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

The best manager I've seen for total focus on his own players, was when Neil Harris was at the time B/U23s/U21s manager at Millwall and we played them in a friendly. Think he shortly took over from Ian Holloway after that.

B.I.G and Pink Panther like this.
  20. Pink Panther

That's the difference between a dedicated professional and a wide boy with a superiority complex who thinks he's better than other people who work at the same level, whether it's the opposition or the match officials.

Moroccan Sunset and B.I.G like this.
  21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

But which is which of Poids and I!

22. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Steve Fallon is another. I was in the Isle of Wight to watch ice hockey once and took in Newport v Histon.

Steve leant back against the dug out wall sitting in the sun and spent nearly all the match talking to the subs "what could he have done better there" and so on. Didn't shout once, if a message was sent on to the pitch he addressed the nearest player and it was passed on. At one point he even nicked a spare ball to demonstrate to a sub what he thought a player should have done. The subs were hanging on his every word and clearly adored the bloke as both a person and a manager.

Newport nicked a late controversial equaliser. When the ref came off Steve thanked him and praised his performance.

He was an absolute breath of fresh air and his track record as a manager was pretty impressive too.

23. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Thought we played really well, enjoyed the game. But we were never going to win anyway as, a) they are a pro team and b) we are Dulwich Hamlet and we don't do cup semi finals

24. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member