Dulwich Hamlet vs Bognor Regis (Q2, FA Cup), Saturday, September 21st 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pompeydunc, Sep 9, 2019.

1. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Bugger...

Look at what we could have won, away to: Potters Bar Town, St Ives Town, Deeping Rangers, Soham Town Rangers, Arundel, Hadley, Flackwell Heath, Moneyfields, Barton Rovers, Hitchin Town, Dereham Town, St Neots, Biggleswade, Kings Langley, Hartley Witney....

At least, it's not Concord Rangers away mind....

Cat Daisy, Pink Panther and editor like this.
  2. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Shit draw!

StephenMac and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  3. pompeydunc

Did you really expect anything else?!

4. the 12th man

Yep, hopes dreams and awaydays :cool:

StephenMac likes this.
  5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

6. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

At least it's not Bognor away...

chris gil likes this.
  7. pompeydunc

Replay?

Pink Panther likes this.
  8. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

No thanks!

Cyclodunc, StephenMac and editor like this.
  9. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Just keep away from the seafront!

Lucy Fur and takkforalt like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

*Date added to title

pompeydunc likes this.
  11. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Yippee

12. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I did a game at Potters Bar last season to recomplete the Isthmian Premier Division grounds. It's one of the dullest places I've ever visited. As for Flackwell Heath, Barton Rovers and Hitchin Town some of us have already seen the Hamlet play there! (I would have enjoyed revisiting Hitchin though.)

Shades of last season's home tie with Tonbridge at the same stage. I don't suppose Bognor will be too delighted either.

Nivag and Cat Daisy like this.
  13. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

Potters Bar's ground is pretty spartan (& the town is dull). The most "exciting" thing is that the turnstiles were from the old Wembley. The grounds at Biggleswade and St Ives are pretty unexciting too but the latter town is pretty!

I may be biased but a trip to Top Field would've been my choice. There are new floodlights & dugouts since Dulwich's last visit but little else has changed.

But Bognor it is ...

Pink Panther likes this.
  14. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

Good. I was only saying yesterday ....
    Let's put out our strongest team and smash them. Revenge for the Isthmian play-off finals. I don't care what happens this season as long as we smash Bognor in the cup.
    A few years ago they had some of most unpleasant supporters I've seen. No doubt those don't bother watching the team anymore since they got relegated. Appologies for being bit negative :hmm:
    Obviously prefer their rivals Worthing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Taper likes this.
  15. Dulwich Mishi

I’ve no interest in ‘revenge’ against them. I simply want us to win.
    We are in a higher division than them, they are struggling.
    They mean nothing to me, they’re just a typical south coast club from a non descript seaside town, sadly suffering from delusions of grandeur.
    To be honest the only real decent thing about them is their bread pudding on sale from their tea bar.

16. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Bognor came to our rescue when the Isthmian League insisted we play a home game on a Saturday at an Isthmian graded ground when we had no home ground available. The match was on the pools from memory. Bognor agreed to host the match when others closer to SE22 had refused. In theory, inability to fulfill the match could have led to our expulsion from the league.

17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

#Bognor

18. Pink Panther

For me any rivalry with Bognor is a healthy one from several seasons when the two clubs were battling each other for promotion, much like the rivalry with Maidstone. Four play-off matches in 7 seasons, all on Bognor's patch two victories apiece, unfortunately ours were both in the semi-finals and we lost to other clubs in the final whereas Bognor's were in the final so they were promoted at our expense.

They always played decent football under Jamie Howell but he's been gone since we last met them in the 2017 Isthmian Premier play-off final. We'll be the favourites this time, they've only collected 4 points from the first 5 league matches but at the same time we could have drawn plenty of less tricky opponents on paper at this early stage of the competition, and a potential Tuesday night replay would be a real nuisance for supporters.

Moroccan Sunset and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. the 12th man

The 3-1 semi final win after finishing 33 points behind them in the league was an amazing evening, one I will never forget.

I remember hearing people I don't know telling about it on train journeys months later and smiling to myself thinking "Yes and I was there to witness it"

21. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Selfishly, I wanted a home tie, against anyone, as I couldn’t have managed an away trip that weekend.

We will also I imagine make more as a club from a home tie. I know revenue is split evenly but the total pot will be higher from 2,000 fans at Champion Hill than 200 at [insert far-flung suburb of crap commuter town].

22. Dulwich Mishi

Cup games often tend to be lower than our average...

23. Dodger

Dodger Active Member

I think he means we'll still get more cash than if we were away.

scousedom likes this.
  24. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

If income is a problem now we're back home, getting crowds as big as the biggest in the division, a packed and no longer inexpensive bar, club-run food outlets and all kinds of sponsorship, then somebody is doing things very badly indeed.

25. Pink Panther

It was clearly stated at the last supporters meeting that the club has budgeted for zero revenue from FA Cup and Trophy matches, so whatever we get from any size crowd, or any prize money for winning matches, will be a bonus. I think the last FA Cup tie at Champion Hill was against Hastings two years ago. They were a division below us at the time and it pulled a decent crowd around the same level as our early league games, so hopefully this game will do so too. Obviously the more matchday income the club can generate the better, but as a supporter I'd rather have an away game somewhere a bit different and keep winning the matches until we get a bigger payday later down the line.

26. pompeydunc

...'tis true. The overall budget is/was based on average attendance of 2300 though, so this Cup game will be welcome given we are below that thus far. Notwithstanding, I would expect attendances to pick-up as the season progresses...

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

2100?

28. Pink Panther

2,100 was the stated average figure for which we've budgeted.

pompeydunc and B.I.G like this.
  29. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

So fag packet maths says a Cup gate of 2,100, split 50/50, means 1,050 unbudgeted-for attendees, which in turn means the breakeven target of 2,100 per League game becomes 2,050. That’s a nice little help.

B.I.G likes this.
  30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I knew that from pompeydunc , he must have forgotten.