Dulwich Hamlet vs Bath City: Sat. 2nd Nov, 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Nov 1, 2019.

1. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems to have eliminated any chance of relegation this year.

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

And I would just die if we got relegated because it would be so bad resulting in....

But its incredibly unlikely that we won’t finish in the bottom 2 nor will we continue bottom of the form table.

The key janglers will however continue.

pettyboy likes this.
  3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

4. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Yeah, I know the results haven't been great but not really sure of the correlation between the crowd on Saturday and the scoreline.

Random stat

pettyboy likes this.
  5. Poids

Poids Active Member

Obviously Saturday wasn't great, but I'd argue that there have been signs of improvement in recent weeks. Three straight draws in the league probably wasn't what we'd have hoped for in the heady days of August, but it's not terrible form either. We're finally starting to see a more settled lineup each week, and whilst I'd agree there's still some work to be done there, it does at least suggest that Gavin has some sense of who his best XI are, and that was always going to take time considering how many new players arrived in the Summer.

Indeed I think our bright start to the campaign perhaps masked just how difficult it was going to be to integrate so many new faces into a squad (especially when you couple that with the new full time training schedule) and realistically the first half of the season was always likely to have some ups and downs (to put it mildly).

I'm not trying to suggest that it's wrong to be concerned with where we are right now, I definitely share those concerns and I'd certainly hoped with the players we'd brought in that we'd be doing a lot better than we are, but I do see signs that we're not that far from turning things around. I'm not saying that it would solve all our problems, but for me getting Ijaha back playing 90 minutes every week would make a huge difference.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

7. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

And Monakana, for my money.

Poids likes this.
  8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

9. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Who are those odd people?

editor and EDC like this.
  10. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

But this season wasn't sold as a patient season, was it? You can't have the good budget that we have, circa 2k crowds, training three times a week and preach patience. If we’d signed a load of unproven kids, then I’d get it, but we haven’t: we’ve brought in people like Danny Mills, David Ijaha, Christian Smith, Jack Connors, Richard Orlu, Jeffrey Monakana: all experienced at this level and/or the one above. Up until recently we even had a keeper that was so far below his level it was ridiculous. We’ve got a good, experienced squad. I get that they have to gel a bit, but we’re 14th in the league and without a league win since August. That’s not teething problems: it’s a waste of money.

I absolutely get the point about the crowds: we have the biggest fanbase in this division – which has to help the players – but it’s also a solid indication of the amount of money we’re raking in and therefore (probably) spending. We’re miles behind clubs that don’t get crowds half the size of ours. I know several clubs at this level have generous backers who top up the playing budget etc but we can sustainably fund ourselves. Instead of building on that, we’re just flushing the cash down the can. Given the lack of improvement for the money increase this year, I’d almost rather we’d have kept last season’s budget and put the excess in reserves or something.

Have to say I don’t think cambelt is being pessimistic, and I don’t think they should be criticised for having the audacity to criticise what has been – FA Cup run aside – an underwhelming start to the season. There can’t be any progress without criticism. Skipping round promising ourselves that our squad is too good to be average and will eventually get better is both naïve and missing the point: we’re paying too much for it to be average. I don’t think it’s the easy option either: the easiest of options would be to stand there and just accept it. Putting your head over the parapet and challenging someone who frankly seems to have been unchallenged for years now is, IMO, an admirable and logical thing to do. It's the opposite to defeatism.

editor, scousedom and EDC like this.
  11. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You are challenging the wrong people, its the shareholders you should be challenging, and they don't have to care what you think, if you wanted a club answerable to the fans then you will need to campaign for the shares to be handed over to a fans vehicle.

EDC, pettyboy and scousedom like this.
  12. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

It would be a start if the club were better at their communications with shareholders. I bought my shares nearly 18 months ago and, apart from the acknowledgement, haven't heard a dicky bird from the club since. And no sign of the AGM that was promised for pre-season. And no news to shareholders about the planning application etc. I appreciate that the board has a lot on its plate, but in this respect 'could do better'.

scousedom and editor like this.
  13. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Edit - This isn't great, admittedly

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  14. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

But only one defeat in all competitions since the first half of September.

pompeydunc, pettyboy and B.I.G like this.
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

The performance on the pitch has been dog shit for the last three months. Who is responsible for that? That is not the shareholders responsibility it’s the players and management. As has been said they are virtually full time and most of them come with a good deal of experience.

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

And who is responsible for the management?

Gavin will finish higher than last season like he always does, and the current shareholders will look after the club as they always have done.

This is all a great diversion until Friday. For the people attending anyway.

17. Poids

Poids Active Member

I understand these frustrations and I share them to some extent, there have certainly been some performances this season that I'd deem wholly unacceptable whatever the circumstances, but however the season was billed, we were always going to need to show some patience when we've brought in what is more or less, a completely new squad. Most games this season we've started with what, maybe 2 or 3 players who were here last season?

I can understand if patience is starting to wear a bit thin now we're in November, but like I say, I can see some signs that things are improving, if not as quickly as we might like.

Pink Panther and pettyboy like this.
  18. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Again, this is incredibly simplistic and I do wonder what team you've actually been watching. The three FA Cup wins, the performance against Weymouth and the second half against Chelmsford all demonstrate what this team is capable of. Even thought we played well against Bath too, in spells.

It's obviously taken Gavin a while to decide what his best lineup is - rare for him, he has now named an unchanged starting XI in the past four games. At times during those past four games, the team has played very well. At others, there have been mistakes, lapses and poor moments that have cost us results. Maybe then, this current XI isn't quite right and needs tinkering but I think Gavin needs to be allowed the opportunity (and by that I include the patience of the fanbase) to correct those mistakes and find solutions.

I'm certainly glad he's the one making the decisions, rather than anyone else on this fucking forum.

19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

Imagine.... Wilson in goal. Moss up front.
    Key janglers in midfield in a full on Guardiola style formation.

editor and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  20. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Loving it.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  21. EDC

If it had been up to me Gavin would have been shown the door after the Tooting debacle.

Thankfully I wasn’t in charge.

22. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Typical Chelsea, sacking the manager every five minutes.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  23. EDC

Works though, we’ve won it all.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  24. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

The football side of things is basically run by the Football Committee and not the Shareholders, and has been for many years. I'm a (very small) shareholder and do not have access to information about how much our budget is, how that compares to others in the league, how it stands against budgets etc. All I have seen is the breakdown on expenditure and income over the bit of last season we were playing at SE22. I didn't see that as a shareholder. It was publicly released by the club and available to all.

When I speak to those people I know on the Football Committee, it is clear they are much more clued op on that sort of thing than I am. (Thankfully.)

Given the information available to a shareholder, there's no way they should be involved in footballing decisions solely by way of being a shareholder.

Clearly some shareholders also sit on the Football Committee.

25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

And kicked Kingstonian out of their home, so Chelsea aren't all bad!

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Is this true?

27. tonysingh

That was the Kingston Dons, a brand new club, that did that....

EDC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

They stole the lease. Didnt chelsea kick them out?

29. editor

editor hiraethified

This is how you win cups

[​IMG]

EDC and B.I.G like this.
  30. tonysingh

But if the Kingston Dons hadn't sold their soul and ethics, then Chelsea wouldn't have been able to do as they did....

B.I.G likes this.