Dulwich Hamlet vs Bath City: Sat. 2nd Nov, 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Nov 1, 2019.

1. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Agree that Bath kept their shape well, they played as a team both in defence and attack, but some of their defenders were there for the taking. On a dozen occasions Connors and Vose cut inside their RB creating very dangerous space, only to find no midfield to support and no attackers running in behind the remaining defence to pass to. In Connors case he isn’t going to get an overlapping runner because he is supposed to be the Cavalry. Mills is doing his job but is very limited in who he can actually head the ball to, and often there is no one anywhere near. Yusuf did more pressing but I don’t think he has justified a starting spot in the team, despite the goal which I believe their keeper would have got to first if he had committed.

2. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Totally agree re Yussuff. Was involved a lot yesterday, but didn't really seem to do much. Fair enough, he did score, but I'm still yet to be convinced he's better than Dipo (especially the super-charged Dipo of yesterday.)

3. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Ah okay. I’ve missed that if it happened but that wouldn’t surprise me!

4. Moroccan Sunset

I've had a look at companies house, but he's not listed as a director so I am officially talking complete wank.

5. RabbleLevi

Super Charged Dipo looks like he has put on more weight than when he re-joined at the beginning of the season and missed (I say missed, couldn’t even get to) a beautifully weighted cross to the back post, served on a plate with french dressing. Super Charge Dipo looked like same old Dipo, lots of huffing and puffing, squanders the sitters.

6. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Yeah, chronically inconsistent Dipo is just Dipo.

7. Moroccan Sunset

Mmm. I thought he looked slimmer. Didn't think the chance was that easy: his reaction (or lack of) made it appear that he hadn't seen the ball until late.

I think his inconsistency is largely down to the fact that he hasn't had a decent run of games since he joined us permanently. Dipo, for me, plays miles better when he's starting week in, week out. Most players would be inconsistent if they were started for one game, benched for the next, lobbed on for Erskine for the final fifteen mins for a relegation six-pointer v Hampton in the one after.

18 goals (I think) in a side that finished in the bottom half of the table isn't too shoddy either (especially as he was persona non grata for considerable periods).

Lucy Fur and Nivag like this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I thought Dipo looked noticeably sharper and in better shape than in August from the moment he came on yesterday. It was a 15 minute cameo so let's not get carried away, but I feel he made enough of the opportunity to put himself in contention for a starting place on Friday.

It can be a bit of a dilemma whether to give a relatively young player a run of starts to hasten his development when the priority is to win the next game, but I'm a bit disappointed he hasn't developed more quickly in the four years since we first had him. Obviously he spent a lot of that time back at Stevenage or on loan to other clubs, but I don't think he helped himself either with his contract stand-off during the summer.

He did a lot of good work yesterday, especially in deeper positions, but I just think he shows a lack of instinct and anticipation around the six yard box when the ball flashes across. He somehow always seems to be on his heels rather than his toes in those situations.

Lucy Fur and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  9. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Had a similarly over the top jobsworth stewarding experience yesterday and just now coming into the women’s game. Think the Club is in danger of confusing entrances to Champion Hill with those to the Pearly Gates, the importance seemingly attached to it all these days.

EDC, editor and takkforalt like this.
  10. Pink Panther

I can understand it for matches where the capacity might be reached, but I was surprised to see bag searches at the turnstiles when I went to a women's game a few weeks back. It all seems a bit excessive for crowds of Isthmian South Division size. I really resent bag searches and never have any prohibited items anyway so normally make sure I don't take one, but on this occasion I'd just picked up a few bits and pieces in Sainsbury's so as a season ticket holder I went to the clubhouse entrance (where bags are not generally searched) and was told season ticket holders can't enter there for women's games, although I was allowed to on that occasion.

I was going to go today until I discovered both train routes to East Dulwich and Denmark Hill are down for engineering works.

editor likes this.
  11. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

It’s........ Rebekah Vardy.

blueheaven and StephenMac like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

We're five points off the bottom of the table, FFS.

table.jpg

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  13. Pink Panther

But only 8 off the play-off places with a game in hand!

Lucy Fur, Nivag and waxoyl like this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Gotta love that optimism!

Hamlet Pete likes this.
  15. Pink Panther

I think we'll pick up eventually, but I'm not sure it's going to happen until the FA Cup run ends. If we win or draw on Friday I'll be quite worried about how we'll play in the rescheduled league match at Welling four days later. We were shocking in the first half at Chelmsford after the high of winning at Havant in the Cup.

16. cg__

cg__ Active Member

wtf has happened to Monakana? Frozen out? Injured? I thought he looked bright in those opening few games

Duckula 3:16 likes this.
  17. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

He’s been struggling badly with tonsillitis over last few weeks but is back in training and regaining fitness.

18. Pink Panther

Few things are more tedious than the "Bantersaurus Rex". Whether he's a young pillock calling out unfunny one-liners from a football terrace or a middle-aged oaf perched at the bar of his local, imposing himself upon complete strangers, I somehow never find his witticisms quite so amusing as he believes them to be.

The Bath keeper's name is Harvey Wiles-Richards, which presumably sounds similar enough to Harvey Weinstein's when you're an Archbishop of Banterbury.

editor and EDC like this.
  19. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Don't think we will unless people acknowledge how bad our form is. There is a lot of "we're too big to go down" sentiment at the moment, and criticisms being pointed in the wrong direction. I think we're more likely to go down this year, we're appalling, it's that bad.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  20. Pink Panther

Which people do you mean? It's irrelevant whether or not anyone on here thinks we're "too good to go down". I'm sure the management are well aware of how bad our form is, and are doing everything they can to turn it around.

It was looking a bit hairy at one point last season when we were hammered at Oxford, then the following week the live table had us just 2 points ahead of the relegation places at around 4.45pm on the final Saturday of March before a late equaliser at home to Billericay plus someone else conceding a late goal restored the gap to 4 points.

Gavin has never been a quick fix merchant. Our best seasons have always been when we finished the previous season strongly, then retained the bulk of the squad. So with wholesale changes this summer I'm not all that surprised things are not going according to plan. His summer recruitment has often been somewhat haphazard with a midseason reshuffle required. As the club has grown, with most of the players under contract and the wage levels rising, it's becoming less straightforward to do that. (Given the information that Monakana has been suffering from tonsilitis, it seems fairly obvious that Ryan Case is the unnamed player whose position is now untenable and won't be selected again.) However Gavin has always turned it around before and achieved tangible improvement on the previous season, and I expect he will do so again, albeit with a fairly low minimum of 13th place/49 points to aim for this time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Hamlet Pete likes this.
  21. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

looooool, what team have you been watching?

22. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A rugby team maybe?

Cyclodunc likes this.
  23. cambelt

A team that hasn't won a league game since the 24th of August? A team that loses 3-1 at home in front of nearly 3000 supporters and no one seems remotely concerned?

EDC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Everyone is concerned about the key janglers but you don't seem to share that concern?

Cyclodunc and Pink Panther like this.
  25. cambelt

The club is in a dangerous place, that's what i am concerned about. We are at the bottom of the form table over the last 10 games and show no signs of turning it around. That is a fairly valid observation.

B.I.G likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Indeed it is. Perhaps everyone is looking forward to Friday.

27. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Including the players.

But not the key janglers

B.I.G likes this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Hopefully they are in the cherry tree.

I saw us win at Havant away and I vaguely remember it. cambelt that was a good result right?

pettyboy likes this.
  29. RabbleLevi

Im looking forward to Clunis scoring the winner in the last 5 minutes, a really scruffy goal, and then the rabble singing my ‘Nyren Clunis’ song and it being picked up on the tele.

That would be cool.

Duckula 3:16 likes this.
  30. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

We literally did turn it around though. We started drawing games, instead of losing them. And then lost on Saturday to a very good Bath side. In the meantime, we've won three cup games very convincingly.

If it's easier for you to be pessimistic about it all, go for it. But the expectation that the switch from semi-pro to 'full time' was going to reap rewards overnight is just totally unfair and unrealistic. This is only Gavin and Kadi's second season at this level, they are learning as they go. The least they deserve is the patience from the fans. I agree that this team should be capable of a lot more - but would've thought that's a cause for optimism, not defeatism.