Dulwich Hamlet vs Barking (London Senior Cup, Quarter Final) - Champion Hill, 8 January, 7.45pm KO

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pompeydunc, Dec 11, 2018.

1. YTC

YTC Human Man

The Shak!

scousedom likes this.
  2. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Super, ta

3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Saw somewhere the Jerk lot & the tea bar. Must’ve been on Twitter, thinking about it...

4. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Looks like there's a new Sheriff in town hahahaha ha haha

5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Told us very little but I quite enjoyed tonight.

6. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Least it wasn't a loss tonight which after they scored first anything could have happened.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  7. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

An absolute joy to stand behind the goal AND watch the game. Let's hope this can begin to build some confidence bit by bit.

editor likes this.
  8. editor

editor Forked with electrons

The first half was awful. The second half was better but we're still a long way off looking like a finely tuned, well oiled football machine.

That said I enjoyed the experience. What was the attendance?

9. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Jimbob73 likes this.
  10. editor

IMMENSE for the Senior Cup! :thumbs:

pettyboy, Jimbob73 and pompeydunc like this.
  11. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

That was a good win against very competitive opposition. GR intergrated our new signings with a fair few starters and played a very attack minded team that included-

GK- Edwards
    CB- Taylor, Essuman, Chambers
    LWB- Mavila
    RWB- Clunis
    CDM- Vose
    CM- Ferguson, Banton
    ST- Sheriff, Akinyemi

Very unexciting first half with lots of sloppy passing and players caught in possession (as expected when you start three new players who haven’t trained with the club).

Nathan Mavila is 23, has an impressive CV and has played as a defender and midfielder to date. He lost possession a few times and failed to beat defenders but contributed one or two good crosses. I wasn’t that impressed with his performance.

George Essuman looked good, threw his weight around and at 21 years old should be thirsty for first team football. Being on loan and knowing Torquay will probably be playing in the Conference National next season should give him an incentive to work hard for the us.

I was very impressed with the way Decarrey Sheriff took his two goals. He missed an absolute sitter with his head from a corner that he was left unmarked and the ball went quite wide. 10 minutes later he scored and incredibly difficult header, under pressure that looped over the keeper into the far corner, which was truly classy. His finish for his first was due to a well timed run and a vicious strike that had the keeper well beaten. More options up front for GR to ponder.

12. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Nice to be able to buy a pie.

13. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

Away at Wingate&Finchley or Brentford in the semis. A trip to Griffin Park would be nice.

14. Dulwich Mishi

I’d expect Brentford B to beat Wingate & Finchley, I’d prefer a Wingate & Finchley win as I think that’s an easier route to the final. They play each other next week. Other semi is between Harrow Borough & Leyton Orient. Don’t think venue for the final has been cast, but hearing rumours the London FA want it at Champion Hill.

scousedom likes this.
  15. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

16. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

Spot on. First half was bang average and we took a long while to get going. The middle three were getting caught in possession a lot in the first 45, I'd rather they get it out their system in this competition rather than a league game however.

Mavila was the worst of the three IMO. We have got a beast in Nathan Green, so I do feel it is a little unfair to compare against him. But when I look to what Mavila was offering in comparison to Tanaseh? Abrahams was better I feel, but I know he left because he wanted to be playing football which is fair enough.

I was impressed with Essuman, he's a defender first and foremost. He was putting his body on the line and made some decent last-ditch tackles. He looks like a very good bit of business.

With regards to Sheriff, I think he showed signs of very good movement and he clearly has some pace about him. I'm not 100% sure that he's the answer, but I'm not going to argue with 2 goals on your 'debut'. The first was taken well, after holding off a defender quite impressively. The second was a brilliant header, which he didn't really have any right to score. However, he probably did owe us one after the one he missed 5 mins before.

All in all, a poor first half, followed by a much better second half. Hopefully we do take something out of this going into the league. Saturday is absolutely massive.

17. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Without wishing to tempt fate, we'd take a lot more than we did the last time I was there. It was about 5 years ago for an FA Youth Cup match. We still had a decent turn out considering. Maybe 50-80 that night.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  18. editor

I want attendance FACTS! This had to be one of our biggest turn outs for the 'better than the Turvey' cup, no?

YTC likes this.
  19. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I doubt it. We must have had attendances in the thousands in the past. It used to be a very prestigious competition.

20. EDC

Still is in my opinion, it's the only one that may lead to a trophy.

pompeydunc, Pink Panther and 3010 like this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

But is that a FACT?

Pink Panther likes this.
  22. editor

23. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

Assuming it is an evening kick off, then I think it probably would be played at Griffin Park. Afternoon league games get played at the Jersey Road ground but they play a few evening ones with just the main stand at Griffin Park open. Went to a match v Anderlecht B last season.

Also possibly the last chance to play at Griffin Park as the new ground takes shape - and the last chance to do the four pubs on the corners of the ground!

(They'll lose to Wingate & Finchley now.)

24. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

I think one pub has closed, so it's three now (unless it has reopened).

Cat Daisy and editor like this.
  25. Pink Panther

I saw around 50 rugby league matches at Griffin Park when London Broncos played there. Classic ground, they never opened more than two sides. Would love to see the Hamlet play there.

Cat Daisy likes this.
  26. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

The Royal Oak did close, but then re-opened (I think) last season - it's not a nice pub. There are much better pubs further from the ground but I won't tempt fate by recommending anywhere until it's not Wingate & Finchley!

pompeydunc likes this.
  27. Pink Panther

Magpie & Crown!

Cat Daisy likes this.
  28. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

The Pottery Arms also closed and remains closed. Lord Nelson on the other side of the M4 is my particular favourite but like Pink Panther says, let’s wait and see as we might end up back at W&F!

Cat Daisy likes this.
  29. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

Yes, indeed. That's the usual choice. However the former Albany Arms - which was once a "no go" area and was closed I think by the police - has been re-opened as the Black Dog Beer House and apparently is very good now.

Blitzwalker and Pink Panther like this.
  30. EDC

I’ve only been there twice, once in the late 60’s when my Dad borrowed a car and took us to see a Chelsea reserve match with Osgood and a few other first teamers playing. The other was against Hull who my mate supported by that time it had the Lego stand at one end.

pettyboy and Pink Panther like this.