Dulwich Hamlet vs Barking (London Senior Cup, Quarter Final) - Champion Hill, 8 January, 7.45pm KO

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pompeydunc, Dec 11, 2018.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

The Dulwich Grouphoppers would have been out in force. Any real ale pubs nearby?

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

They’re doing their own programmes & own fundraiser, golden goal tickets I’m told, so as it’s an away game I’ll have nothing to do!⚽️

Blitzwalker and B.I.G like this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

No, it's South West Essex.

pompeydunc and B.I.G like this.
  4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Barking is not in Essex. No idea where the ground is.

5. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

It is one of those anomalies like Welling & Bexleyheath, which although they’re in the London Borough of Bexley, for postal purposes fall into Kent with DA postcodes. In Barking’s case, it’s in the Borough of Barking & Dagenham but falls into Essex postcode-wise with an IG (Ilford) code. So there.

6. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Unless that's their manager having a preemptive pop at whoever made the decision to move the game (assuming it wasn't him)?
    Either way it might be productive to inquire of him at regular intervals whether the attendance is to his satisfaction.

B.I.G likes this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

SO there indeed :) No one uses outdated Postal codes to determine location. No taxation with representation Blitzwalker !

Blitzwalker likes this.
  8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

We are the new Billericay according to him and destined to be a league club.

9. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

All I can remember from a visit last season is that it was it involved a walk through a very bleak public park and past a busy leisure centre. Barking ground was not busy once I got there. There were as many away (CIFC) fans as home fans - and not many of either! No nice pubs located either.

Pink Panther and Blitzwalker like this.
  10. Blitzwalker

And if further proof was needed of my liking for archaic postal representation, I am a member of Middlesex County Cricket Club. Or to take it a step further, the Middle Saxons.

Pink Panther and Cat Daisy like this.
  11. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

The non-league system in England is arguably still based on the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy.

12. Pink Panther

I think you'll find a lot of us do, and we don't care how much the revisionists quote contemporary bureaucratic flapdoodle, if it's not got a London postcode it's not London!

13. Blitzwalker

I’ve always found that side of East London/Essex a bit of a pub desert. Decent ones are hard to find.

14. Pink Panther

It's dreadful. An acquaintance who lives over that way told me there are only twelve pubs left in the borough of Newham that still serve cask beer. I doubt Barking & Dagenham is much better.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  15. Blitzwalker

Went to a decent back street real ale pub near Leyton Orient’s ground a few years back. Can’t think of the name but it was a welcome surprise in a poor area for pubs. Noss might remember it’s name.

16. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

There are some decent places around leytonstone, Walthamstow, forest gate and wanstead (lots of people of a certain demographic moving out that way from hackney probably helps). Barking is really bad for pubs.

Pink Panther and Blitzwalker like this.
  17. Pink Panther

Sounds like the Birkbeck Tavern, opposite side of Leyton Tube station to the ground. Of course the Orient Supporters' Club bar round the back of the new side stand is excellent, and a regular entry in the Good Beer Guide.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  18. Pink Panther

19. Blitzwalker

Yes, I think it was the Birkbeck. Quite a big place but with plenty of decent ales available. I’ve never managed to get into the Club bar, always been packed whenever I’ve tried on a match day but I know it has a good reputation.

Pink Panther likes this.
  20. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Fixed it. The winner of tonight's tie are away to Wingate & Finchley or Brentford B....

Results

B.I.G and Blitzwalker like this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

That’s a big pub with a large garden, usually end up in theee after the Leyton Orient Supporters tournaments.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  22. Blitzwalker

Assuming we get through, a trip to Brentford would be nice. Had enough of Wingate for one season!

Cyclodunc likes this.
  23. Dulwich Mishi

Think we’d have more chance of beating Wingate & Finchley than Brentford B...

24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

But Brentford B play at Brentford? Exciting.

25. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't even begin to assume something like that, when we are playing at Step 5 club in the LSC...! Beckenham (2014/15), Cray Valley PM (2016/17), Balham (2017/18). I've tried to forget 2015/16...

26. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Got to beat the best to B the best

27. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Only been to a game at Griffin Park once. Dean Gaffney came on at half time to do a raffle. Sadly, Wellard didn’t accompany him.

28. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

RIP

WillClunas and scousedom like this.
  29. Pink Panther

I've got a feeling that team won't play London Senior Cup matches at Griffin Park one way or another.

pompeydunc and B.I.G like this.
  30. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Any food options available this evening?