Dulwich Hamlet v Merstham (Saturday 20th January 2018)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Matt The Cab, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Here's hoping for big crowds, goals & 3 points

dcdulwich and Pink Panther like this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

They've been our whipping boys since joining us in the Premier Division. Five wins out of five so far for Hamlet by an aggregate of 19-1. They always try to take us on at our own attacking game and come unstuck, but you never know when they may attempt a different approach. Hope Reise is fit to play of course, but if he isn't we can't afford to leave Carew & Ferguson on the bench again; one of them must come into the middle three to give some creative thrust in support of the front two. Last week at Margate their tight defence made it harder than usual for Ming & Green to get forward and cause problems from wide, while the midfield trio of Beaney, Kargbo & Onovwigun left Nyren & Nana very isolated up front. Reise is clever enough to drop a little bit deeper and link with those three, then cause havoc by turning and running at defenders.

Nivag and pompeydunc like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh yes. I'll be there.

4. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

I'll be there with the dog. She's seen two victories so far, so thankfully not a hex.

editor likes this.
  5. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

Was hoping to be there but the lurgy has hit! We shall see...

6. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Hoping to be there for the second half.

7. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

That was a disappointing result, they should have scored at least twice in the first half and it seems they struggled to get going most of the second. Some lazy tracking back after losing the ball.

8. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

If I knew we were gonna play with a false nine in advance, I'd stick £11 in the 12th Man bucket and not bother turning up.

EDC and StephenMac like this.
  9. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

On the upside
    first defeat at home in 11 (I think)
    and still top of the League

work commitments meant only saw last 5 mins
    how disappointing
    not taking opportunities again (so I was told)
    we weren't robbed didn't take our chances

what a fantastic turnout over 1600 on a very wet down

we need to ensure we get the fans coming back (not least because of our financial situation)

10. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Missed Margate but yesterday showed we are going to struggle without Reise.

Two cracking shots came back off the bar 10 mins or so into the second half (Ash free kick, Ferguson cutting in from left) and if one of those had gone in we probably would have gone on to win.

Last 30 minutes we struggled to muster any more chances and frustratingly let Merstham take the points.

Back to back defeats, doesn't happen often.

If Reise leaves or is out injured long term I think we need to sign a replacement.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  11. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Omar Koroma is scoring goals for Carshalton. Which is not to say he would be the answer to replacing Reise short or long term, but he was seemingly brought in as cover, and then when we needed cover was let go again, with the current result being a youth team player on the bench instead of a player with professional and international experience.

That said, I thought Ferguson was mostly excellent yesterday - if he'd scored after that rampaging run down their left in the second half it would have been one of the goals of the season - but as that finish showed, as well as when he looped one onto the bar, he isn't a striker. He does most of his good work up to the edge of the box, and is most effective in that role.

And despite him working wonders up front for much of the season, Nyren isn't really a striker either. By his own admission he had a stinker yesterday, and if he'd converted the more or less open goal in the first half it could have been a very different result, but we really shouldn't be relying on a converted winger to score us the goals to win the league.

I know our financial position has got to come into play, and from Liam's update in the programme yesterday it appears Meadow are still doing their utmost to keep that in a state of flux, but I'd say we've got to bring an out-and-out striker in, even as an option off the bench if Plan A doesn't work, or someone isn't on top form. Harry Ottaway springs to mind to fill a role like that, given how effective he was for Enfield last season.

On the game yesterday, I thought it was very much like the Brightlingsea game (and I'm sure others in recent memory, but that's the one that comes to mind immediately), in that we dominated the first half, and then dropped off alarmingly after the break - and that was after a decent ten minute spell at the start of the second half when we could have scored a couple. The difference being on this occasion they grabbed a goal, after which it felt like there would only be one winner.

The drop off in our performance didn't seem to come from any visible change on Merstham's part beyond like-for-like substitutions (happy to stand corrected on that, it's hard to spot formation changes from the Car Wash End sometimes) - after an hour we just seemed to run completely out of steam and stopped winning any second balls, which we'd predominantly been first to in the first half. They quickly got a sense of that, started putting pressure on our backline whilst dominating midfield, and after a succession of free kicks around our box scrambled one home, followed minutes later by a corner which one of the smaller players on the pitch glanced home at the near post, and we didn't really threaten to equalise for the ten or so minutes that were remaining. It'll be interesting to hear Gavin's comments on the second half - we created enough chances to win the game in the first hour or so at a canter, but I don't think we can consider ourselves unlucky to lose it, such was the extent of our complete falling away for the final third of the match, and our lack of response following their first goal.

On a wider note, we've done brilliantly well to push Billericay so hard for so long, but unless there are some pretty seismic events in that corner of Essex in the not too distant future, I think our chance of winning the league has now gone. I get they've got a lot of games to play, but they'll just bring in players if they need them and prioritise the league over the cups as necessary. With 17 games left in our regular season, I'd have thought our planning now needs to switch to being fit and ready for the play-offs.

12. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

A dog of a game that. Started with me arriving at just before 2 and being kept in a queue at the turnstiles in the pissing rain for 15 minutes; no idea why. And then the nagging inevitability of the result as the Hamlet turned down the energy levels in the second half and eased their way into a winter slump.

13. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

"Meanwhile Omar Koroma is scoring goals for Carshalton. Which is not to say he would be the answer to replacing Reise short or long term, but he was seemingly brought in as cover, and then when we needed cover was let go again, with the current result being a youth team player on the bench instead of a player with professional and international experience."

Yes, he scored two against East Grinstead. In my humble opinion the Bostik League Division One South is weaker than it has been for a number of seasons, and he will therefore find it easier to score at that level.

And let's not forget we ARE still top of the table, for another week or so, soon to be overhauled by Billericay town...BUT we will then be comfortably clear in second spot, which would give us our best Isthmian League finish since 1959!

That's even before I was born! In Gavin I trust!

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  14. Dulwich Mishi

"being kept in a queue at the turnstiles in the pissing rain for 15 minutes; no idea why."

In a nutshell....the turnstiles are operated by the Meadows side of things, or whatever arm of their subsidiaries our ground is managed by. The Football Club have no say in turnstile operations, unfortunately.

I wasn't paying full attention, but I know the turnstiles opened later than they usually do, and this may have caused an early backlog. But don't get me wrong, I'm not offering any excuses. (Not that I could, as the Football Club have no say in these matters)

15. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Should have done what I did, which was turn up at 4.35, just in time for Charlie Penny's first goal... :facepalm:

Who were the berks booing at the end?

16. Dulwich Mishi

Dunno, I didn't hear them...but people are entitled to boo if that want...each to their own.

Must be awful for them...with us still being, technically, top of the league! ;)

17. Dulwich Mishi

A neutral view...from the Non League Matters 'where do you go' section of that message board:

ISTHMIAN PREMIER DIVISION
    DULWICH HAMLET 1 - MERSTHAM 2 (1-0 h/t)
    ATT: 1,692
    ADM: £11

Programme £2 but didn't purchase
    Hot drinks standard price.
    Expensive posh burger van & Thai food stall available. 100% recommend the Thai food.

First plan was Harpenden but that was rained off by midday, leaving me going in the other direction at St Pancras to south London due to the closeness of the ground to East Dulwich station in the squally drizzle.

Got to say Dulwich has changed - first time I've been in a London pub and seen a group of young blokes pecking each other on the cheek in greeting, very continental!

The clientele at Champion Hill are really quite different to your usual non-league hobbyists. The club has attracted a large number of trendy 20 somethings with a healthy female percentage among them. Got there with 30 minutes to spare, just as well as apparently people were still going through the turnstiles at 3.25.

First visit here and the weather conditions were not great. The main stand was packed out with the only other cover being hard standing steps on the opposite side and no cover behind the goals. I suppose the main aim for the club at the minute is just sticking around with plenty of unknowns on the horizon regarding funding and staying put.

Dulwich are of course top of the league thanks to Billericay having games in hand in second place. Merstham are bottom half and not going anywhere fast.

So it was no surprise when Carew stuck a direct free-kick in the top corner with just a quarter of an hour gone to give Dulwich a 1-0 lead. Merstham looked toothless up front and Dulwich could and should of gone in further ahead. H/T 1-0. Had a quick look in the bar, saw the line of people waiting to be served, and opted for some more Thai food outside instead.

Strange second half display from Dulwich. They hit the bar with another free-kick (Carew again) then seemed to play for a 1-0 and started to make Merstham look half decent going forward. The equaliser came with 13 minutes to play when an attempted clearance in the Dulwich box was hit against one of their own defenders allowing Penny to smash it in from close range. Merstham had their tails up and just four minutes later Penny got across to glance a header in from a corner to the cheers of the small band of away supporters who had materialised behind the goal in the second half once the rain had died down. A couple of half chances came and went for Dulwich but they had blown it with a second successive league loss and may have gifted the title to everyone's second favourite side.

Three trains to get back, Southern, Thameslink and GN, and I'm pleased to say the GTR network was on form to see me home by 7pm.

18. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Yep

19. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just being naive, but the 1 second of booing on the final whistle felt more like disapproval of the whistle/running out of time, than booing the team (who got a good round of applause at the end).

It was only when it was brought up a few hours after the game that I even considered the possibility that they were booing the players!

20. Pink Panther

We should be 9 points clear after the last two games, and could be 11 clear. (I'd have reluctantly accepted a point against a tough Margate side who were clearly playing for the draw until they stole a winner from a set piece with five minutes to go.) So those two results do have a strong hint of us blowing it without Billericay even taking to the field in the league. But if we can suddenly lose back-to-back games so can they, and with such an erratic individual running their show there's no telling how that might pan out if it happens.

It is a bit odd that we keep signing Koroma, then releasing him a few weeks later without even having used him for significant amounts of time off the bench. Let's also bear in mind that Tomlin & Dumaka, our two most experienced strikers, are also out injured; it isn't all about Reise.

I thought Ferguson was probably our best player on Saturday, but unfortunately I think Nyren simply doesn't quite have a striker's instinct or composure inside the six yard box. Either he seems slightly too slow to anticipate or react, or else he seems to rush in a bit too eagerly and arrive fractionally off balance, as he did with that scuffed shot that was cleared off the line after a fantastic run and cross from Ferguson. His weak left foot doesn't help either. I reckon at least 90 of his 96 goals have been scored with his right foot, and the others include a few headers too. But if he had a left foot and could head the ball he'd pretty much be Ossie Bayram!

That was our worst result since losing at Canvey Island a year ago in terms of bossing most of the game against opponents who posed little apparent threat and were there for the taking. Although the game was already beginning to drift, the wheels seemed to come off when we substituted Carew & Ferguson in quick succession, the latter after taking a knock, which left us with essentially the starting XI that made little impression on the Margate defence the previous week. Even before they equalised I felt we seemed to be hanging on rather unconvincingly by then against a side with three or four very ordinary players.

If you trust so implicitly in Gavin why are you totally writing off our chances of staying top? I accept that Billericay are favourites but there's plenty that can go wrong for them yet. They haven't even completed half their league fixtures, it's almost February, and unless the weather is kind to them they may have more postponements to add to their fixture backlog even before they've won any more cup games. Furthermore they can't overtake us for at least three more weeks unless we lose a couple more games. In which case I wouldn't get too complacent about taking second place for granted.

21. Dulwich Mishi

"If you trust so implicitly in Gavin why are you totally writing off our chances of staying top? I accept that Billericay are favourites but there's plenty that can go wrong for them yet."

Because I am a Natural Born Pessimist.

I didn't think we had a chance of winning the Division One south title until mid-April...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  22. takkforalt

takkforalt Well-Known Member

There was some bellend with a brolly shouting "you're shit", and "don't clap them they were shit", at the end. Imagine they were the boo-ers

GregDHFC likes this.
  23. Pink Panther

I wasn't clapping at the end after that result, but if I'd heard someone shouting at people not to clap I'd have started clapping. And umbrellas at football really wind me up. There were people standing at the front with them in the first half.

blueheaven and crocustim like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If only we had a basic shelter to stand under....

clog likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. Dulwich Mishi

Very low down on the priorities at the moment. To say the least....
    Just trying to keep the squad together at the end of the season.
    If things carry on as they are there is a real possibility of a groundshare next season, I am sure the powers that be, whoever they may be, will find somewhere that has cover behind the goal...

27. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I would've thought we'd try until July 15th at the very least... ;)

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  28. Dulwich Mishi

Well if Meadows budge then that will happen...

29. Pink Panther

I don't need a shelter or an umbrella, I just dress appropriately if the weather is wet.

blueheaven and gnar182 like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I do! I've got a hairstyle to look after :D

Lucy Fur likes this.