Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v Hampton, Boxing Day 26 December 2019, 3pm

Cliffite

a killer bee, killer bee
That was painful, watched the game with someone who (now coaches full time for LA Galaxy youth but) came up with Dom Vose and narrated every miss pass etc.

Usually watch by self and catch people during game so don't notice how many excuses I've built up for bad performances. Some fairly controversial refereeing but still.

We were so clearly a more talented bunch of players but just had no edge. Last 10 minutes made the game and showed we can be dangerous.

Overall the only reason I don't regret delaying the journey north was making the minutes silence.

pitchfork

We don’t deserve to stay up with performances like that. The defence looked awful, no composure on the ball they just seemed happy to hack it out of play. For a team that is supposedly full-time I would hate to see them if we were part-time. Our only game plan was to lump it up to Mills and hope something happened.

What’s happened to the Dulwich that used to play quick football to feet with wide players who could get to the by-line or cut in and make something happen?

That was painful to watch devoid of any creativity and passion.

Moroccan Sunset

You're all being fucking harsh. Just give Gavin another month or eight, seventeen more players, GPS pitch-tracking, an oxygen chamber, a full-time masseur, a hydrotherapy suite and he'll turn this shit right around.

Bugpowder Dust

Didn't think we were as bad as previous weeks, hard to say we deserved to win but match hinged on a double refereeing decision.

Their opening goal was flagged offside by the assistant ref but she was overruled by the ref. We then had the ball in the net from a wide free kick and again the assistant flagged for offside, this time the ref was happy to go with her decision.

Looked like it curled straight in to the net from my view in TO.

Their second, the eventual winner, was a breakaway after our players were loudly claiming for a pen for a challenge on the edge of the box. Don't think it was a pen, but dispiriting the way we were carved open with relative ease.

With everyone around us losing, this would have been a big game to win. We're only six points off tenth, so still all to play for if Gavin can get to a settled XI for the rest of the season.

cambelt

Didn't think we were as bad as previous weeks, hard to say we deserved to win but match hinged on a double refereeing decision.

Their opening goal was flagged offside by the assistant ref but she was overruled by the ref. We then had the ball in the net from a wide free kick and again the assistant flagged for offside, this time the ref was happy to go with her decision.

Looked like it curled straight in to the net from my view in TO.

Their second, the eventual winner, was a breakaway after our players were loudly claiming for a pen for a challenge on the edge of the box. Don't think it was a pen, but dispiriting the way we were carved open with relative ease.

With everyone around us losing, this would have been a big game to win. We're only six points off tenth, so still all to play for if Gavin can get to a settled XI for the rest of the season.
Yeah, felt that we turned another corner today and that performance gives me every confidence that we will not only stay up but also challenge for a play-off spot. Beforehand I thought they were a lazy team that had no leaders, and had totally accepted losing in various passive ways

Moroccan Sunset

I actually thought we played quite well in the first half. For me the nadir of this season was when we played Maidstone at home and didn't have a shot on target for the entire game. There's no defending that kind of performance, but for the majority of the first half we battered Hampton - we had shots and everything. Kearney and Mills worked well together and it was nice to see us have our annual 'let's play Quade in his natural position' moment, too. I'm not a fan of the whole diamond formation, but given the way we play, our fixation on possession, I think it suits us quite well.

We were unlucky to go in one nil down, IMO: Hampton were poor to say the least. We had plenty of chances to be ahead though and we got punished on the counter. Teams can afford to let us have the ball because we have such a soft underbelly and for all of our 3000 passes we have little sting in the tail. If we can't beat even the poor sides in the division then I don't know who we can beat.

Second half was grim. Our goal came because Hampton's wall appeared to jump over Kearney's free kick, but either side of that it was just mindless balls forward to Mills and Kearney. We look devoid of leadership, of grit, of creativity. Vose and Chapman both baffle me: I'd have Ainsworth in for at least one of them.

It's an improvement but still nowhere near good enough. The next two games are about as appealing as a bout of leprosy.

pitchfork

I actually thought we played quite well in the first half. For me the nadir of this season was when we played Maidstone at home and didn't have a shot on target for the entire game. There's no defending that kind of performance, but for the majority of the first half we battered Hampton - we had shots and everything. Kearney and Mills worked well together and it was nice to see us have our annual 'let's play Quade in his natural position' moment, too. I'm not a fan of the whole diamond formation, but given the way we play, our fixation on possession, I think it suits us quite well.

We were unlucky to go in one nil down, IMO: Hampton were poor to say the least. We had plenty of chances to be ahead though and we got punished on the counter. Teams can afford to let us have the ball because we have such a soft underbelly and for all of our 3000 passes we have little sting in the tail. If we can't beat even the poor sides in the division then I don't know who we can beat.

Second half was grim. Our goal came because Hampton's wall appeared to jump over Kearney's free kick, but either side of that it was just mindless balls forward to Mills and Kearney. We look devoid of leadership, of grit, of creativity. Vose and Chapman both baffle me: I'd have Ainsworth in for at least one of them.

It's an improvement but still nowhere near good enough. The next two games are about as appealing as a bout of leprosy.
Wow, I don’t know what game you were watching but that was awful. This squad is nowhere near good enough. And Quade is not a midfielder. Your reference to we battered them is truly astonishing!

Moroccan Sunset

Wow, I don’t know what game you were watching but that was awful. This squad is nowhere near good enough. And Quade is not a midfielder. Your reference to we battered them is truly astonishing!
Quade is 100% a midfielder. It was only after Palace got hold of him that he suddenly got shoehorned into the centre of defence.

Honestly, I've seen miles worse than that this season. Like I say, we had shots, which is a vast improvement on some of our earlier performances. Most of the first half was spent in their half. They created very little against us, apart from the odd counter attack.

The squad seems alright to me: Ijaha, Mills and Orlu all got to the play offs last season, Connors was at Dover in the division above last season, Kearney's been performing well, Preston's proven at Conference level, Barnes and Quade have both been at professional clubs. That's before we even get on to McCoy, Ainsworth, Monakana, Nathan Smith (all have played in professional leagues), Chapman, Vose, Christian Smith, Clunis. All of these players have been successful either at this level or the ones above, so how have they suddenly become inadequate to take on the likes of Hampton and Braintree?

scousedom

In fairness, I do agree with him. That ref is absolutely terrible - shouldn't be anywhere near this level.

It's a sorry state of affairs when we have the players and the budget we have and we're pointing out the shortcomings of the officials, mind.
I’ll take your word for it. I have enough trouble remembering our transient players, let alone the transient officials.

bkbk

Actually thought the referee got the decisions for their goals right. First one looked to be flicked on by a Dulwich head and the linesman flagged incorrectly. For the second I thought Connors played for the foul, which is something he does a lot and tends gets them in his own half (much of the time very softly imo). That said, I'd like another look on the replay.

Not sure what prompted overturning the Dulwich goal though but frankly I've given up trying to keep up with the offside rule.

pitchfork

I don’t care what league they have played in. I take it Orlu was our number 5, he couldn’t hit a barn door with his passes he was truly awful. He managed to punt the ball out on several occasions. Compared to teams that have played before. This current crop comes nowhere near the talent I have seen at Champion Hill over the last 10 years.

PartisanDulwich

same old, same old
new scarf didn't fix the jinx
First 10 mins and last 10 mins Hamlet should have scored on numerous occasions
Dylan seemed like only player up for it (and Preston made some important saves)
Vose very hesitant on the edge of the box
Truly terrible ref - as I am sure highlights will show (especially the Hamlet free kick goal)
We were bad and RHBFC not much better

Trying to remain positive - but come on Gavin let's get the points by any means necessary

Great attendance over 2,000

Nice to see our good friends from Altona

Great respect shown for Mishi especially after the whistle by the Rabble
Lovely banner - well done to those that organised

Missed Mishi mooching about

Role on 2020

Moroccan Sunset

I don’t care what league they have played in. I take it Orlu was our number 5, he couldn’t hit a barn door with his passes he was truly awful. He managed to punt the ball out on several occasions. Compared to teams that have played before. This current crop comes nowhere near the talent I have seen at Champion Hill over the last 10 years.
It is odd though, isn't it, that, by and large, they've been successful everywhere else they've played, but are seriously underperforming now when they're playing for us?

Griff_Turnstile

Flitting in & out like Tinkerbell on Meth
With work and what else don’t watch as many games as I’m able to but for me that performance was uninspiring and underwhelming. Even at the worst of times in the last quarter century (barring a Les Cleevely side packex with high price yet ineffectual mercenaries) watching sides struggling in the outer reaches of the Western Spiral of the Isthmian Leagues, Dulwich teams seemed to find that little bit of extra effort above their ability even if that ability was seriously lacking. But for me this current side just seem like they are coming to work, to pick up the pay check for keeping the crowds drinking the beer, eating the pies and topping up the coffers. I’d like to see them prove me wrong but does seem as if Dulwich needs some sort of threat, cause or another inspiration to give their all on a matchday...

Pink Panther

With work and what else don’t watch as many games as I’m able to but for me that performance was uninspiring and underwhelming. Even at the worst of times in the last quarter century (barring a Les Cleevely side packex with high price yet ineffectual mercenaries) watching sides struggling in the outer reaches of the Western Spiral of the Isthmian Leagues, Dulwich teams seemed to find that little bit of extra effort above their ability even if that ability was seriously lacking. But for me this current side just seem like they are coming to work, to pick up the pay check for keeping the crowds drinking the beer, eating the pies and topping up the coffers. I’d like to see them prove me wrong but does seem as if Dulwich needs some sort of threat, cause or another inspiration to give their all on a matchday...
That pretty much sums up the last season and a half. We seem to have at least progressed from some really terrible performances last season, when we completely fell apart, to hanging in there to the final whistle and losing by no more than the odd goal but it's just not very exciting or inspiring. To an extent I think that's what this whole league/division is like. It's more professional, everyone is more determined, more cynical, and just rather dull. I dare say it would feel less like that if we could find a way to score more goals and win more consistently, but whereas Slough (who came up with us last year) and Weymouth and Dorking (newcomers from below this year) seem to have discovered the knack, we're still searching for the answers. Yesterday marked the halfway point in the fixture list with eight odd goal defeats and seven draws. (Just one defeat by more than one goal, and even then we only fell two behind in stoppage time at home to an impressive Bath side.) So that's three quarters of our matches where just one extra scoring chance taken, or one moment of greater decisiveness at the back, could have earned an extra point or two. Obviously you can't expect that to happen in every game, but if we'd just managed it in five of those fifteen games we could have an extra 7 or 8 points which would be enough to be in the top half of the table right now rather than two points off the relegation places. Everything looks a bit too painstaking and methodical at times like yesterday. There's just not quite enough fire and inspiration. We seem to take too many risks in our own half with playing the ball around, but not enough risks in the attacking half, with lots of cautious probing around the edge of the box and the ball relayed back or sideways waiting for the opportunity to play a perfect ball into someone in space, which often never arrives before we've lost the ball altogether.

Yet again we "could have got something from this game" but didn't. "The tale of the two offside goals" conspired against us for a start. My view of Hampton's opening goal was that a defender knocked the ball on for the scorer to convert the chance and when the flag first went up I thought "that's lucky, it looked like the defender played that through" in which case the officials got that right in the end and I can't complain, assuming the forward wasn't already offside for the first ball from a teammate. Our "equaliser" from a Connors free kick that swung in towards the far post from wide on the right was unclear from my position. It looked like it was bundled over the line by one of the players rushing into the goalmouth, other people thought it went straight in, the flag went up. Was the line call correct, did anyone who didn't touch the ball impede or distract the goalkeeper? Frankly the offside law is a mess these days, and any top lawyer could make a case for almost any goal with someone in an offside position being either allowed or disallowed. Then instead of being 1-1 it became 0-2 as Connors appeared to be fouled on the corner of Hampton's box and the ball was cleared for a swift counter attack that exposed his vacant left back position and allowed a chipped cross the the far post to be headed into the gaping net from close range. A couple of attacking subsitutions and a more cavalier approach during the final quarter of the match got he Hamlet back in with a chance as Kearney fired a direct free kick through a rather flimsy looking defensive wall, but the equaliser wouldn't come.

So, yet another entry in the growing catalogue of close games where we couldn't seize the vital moments that would have got us a better result. Following a poor start to the season Hampton are on a good run of form that has carried them into the sort of upper mid-table position most of us feel our own team should occupy as a minimum, although frankly I thought they looked fairly ordinary. Their centre back pairing of Inman and Wassmer were often terrorised by the best Hamlet forward lines of the Isthmian premier era whilst playing against us for various other clubs, but without real wingers for most of the game we weren't able to pull them around and create gaps this time. For me we're still struggling to find the right system that makes best use of the players we've got. Or maybe we just haven't recruited the right players? We've tried three at the back, a flat back four, a team with two wingers, now a team with no wingers; sometimes we've hit on something that's worked quite well for a bit, but it's never looked totally convincing. At least Kearney looks like the sort of character who can be a catalyst for lifting the team to achieve better results. We need a few more like him.

Team (4-3-1-2): Edwards - Barnes, Orlu, C.Smith, Connors - Ijaha(c), Taylor, Chapman - Vose - Mills, Kearney. Subs: Clunis (for C.Smith), Ainsworth (for Ijaha), Monakana (for Barnes), N.Smith, White (not used).
Attendance: 2,089

Last edited:

T Corcoran

I've just seen the highlights from the game. Did Jack Connors free kick hit anyone or did anyone interfere with the keeper for that goal because it didn't look like it

chris gil

making football club owners cry since 1893
I've just seen the highlights from the game. Did Jack Connors free kick hit anyone or did anyone interfere with the keeper for that goal because it didn't look like it
The lino got 2 decisions wrong , flagged offside for Jack Connors free kick which no one touched and not much interference and the ref failed to over rule . Then gave offside for their goal which was nodded on from Orlu so not offside but the ref did over rule .