Dulwich Hamlet v East Thurrock 8/8/18

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Scolly, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Well... we can’t enter the day of a game without a thread! Especially as it’s our first home game in National South

Jules P and Nivag like this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

They lost to a stoppage time penalty at home to Woking on Saturday. I'm hoping for a minimum 4 points from the two home games against ETU and Concord over the next four days before the trip to Chelmsford next Monday.

Radical-Cliff and Scolly like this.
  3. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Hates Meadow Residential

I believe Sam Higgins was the top scorer in the NLS last season. He was also top scorer in the Ryman Premier the season they got promoted. But he didn't score in the play off final.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

I brlieve Sam Higgins is missing the start of the season including our game due to getting married abroad.

5. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Hates Meadow Residential

Concord nearly beat Billericay last night so that game might be tricky. Tricky Dickie.

"Well, you ask Joyce and Vicki
    If candy-floss is sticky
    I'm not a blinking thicky
    I'm ...........

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

He should have done that at the end of last season instead of signing a dual registration to play for Canvey Island in their play-offs. He certainly didn't play for them on Saturday, they had Tom Derry up front instead.

7. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Hope we get a decent crowd, performance & 3 points.

Although to be honest I'd settle for the first and third options...

Pink Panther likes this.
  8. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Can't wait, my first ever game as a Hamlet season ticket holder after 40 years and our first game in National South :thumbs:

Dulwich Mishi and tonysingh like this.
  9. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

Higgins' wedding abroad last weekend apparently, which is why he missed the season opener - as did their manager John Coventry who was at the wedding. I found that pretty remarkable tbh. I can understand giving a player a bit of leeway on such things, even one of their star players and especially at the start of the season, but I think I'd be a wee bit surprised if Gavin did that - esp at this level.

StephenMac likes this.
  10. jonesyboyo

jonesyboyo Well-Known Member

Listening in from N Carolina. C'mon Hamlet.
    Where can you get the team line up etc. these days pls - not on footballwebpages any more? Cheers,

Fingers likes this.
  11. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

12. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Pappoe,.....Pappout more like:mad:

13. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

But Dipo….a god amongst men! 2.1

Jimbob73 and scousedom like this.
  14. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

What a win. Fantastic character I love this team, kept going till the end even if the lino and ref had other ideas. :thumbs::rolleyes::facepalm:

Pink Panther likes this.
  15. Pickers

Pickers New Member

Terrible goal to give away but a decent performance. Should have won the game comfortably. Need to be more clinical in front of goal but encouraging signs I thought.

East Thurrock were pretty limited in what they had to offer.

Pink Panther likes this.
  16. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

That was a great win. I could easily see us not getting any points from that - which would have been harsh given the performance - but the team fought hard to get the win. Tomlin had some spectacular misses though, and it was a bit worrying that we let in their first chance.

Definite room for improvement, but every point is going to be important this season.

Nivag likes this.
  17. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

That's a very encouraging performance and result. Well done Dulwich! Why was Nyren missing again tonight?

18. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Wow. Wow. Wow.

You'd have to go a long way to find a game as entertaining as that. What a finish.

19. Pickers

Pickers New Member

In Jamaica according to his Twitter. Sounds like he is on his way back

20. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

Also, why is football web pages so messed up this season? They used to be so good. They're currently reporting that the game ended 1-1 and earlier today they had most teams in our league having played 3 games.

21. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Member

Blown away with that performance, Gavin Rose has one way of getting his team to play and that is why I follow him.

Edwards was fantastic in between the sticks, didn’t panick and had excellent distribution, especially throws out wide.

Pappoe, Magnus and Kargbo snuffed our everything. Because of them ET rarely looked like threatening.

Sanchez Ming was rapid, clinging to the line and bringing players into the game. Nathan Green looked a bit restricted as a Full Back but grew into the game and put in some good deliveries. Also Collosal in the air.

Ferguson linked well with Vose and helped spray the ball around. Vose impressed, especially his range of passing.

Gavin redeemed himself, great goal and he worked his socks of all game. Walters must have been a nightmare to play against and the balls coward were sublime. Dipo yet again the hero and Ash Carew made an impact when he came on.

Man of the match...Cook. Defence couldn’t mark him. Looking forward to him and Clunis linking up.

We should have scored a few. The ball DID go over the line. I have lost my voice. Bring on Concord!

Jimbob73, Lucy Fur, Fingers and 4 others like this.
  22. Pthorne

Pthorne Active Member

Really enjoyed that tonight. Thought Hamlet played well first half and should have probably been ahead Tomlin and Pappoe missing a couple of good chances.

Felt a bit for Pappoe for their goal a mistake from him, but from what Ive read he hasn’t played much football in the past seasons due to injuries and looked like a result of a bit of rustiness. Thought he played reasonably well after that.

Second half thought Hamlet were excellent created an unbelievable amount of chances and great to get the late goal.

Thought there were quite a few standout performances, Ming who showed so much energy to get forward when trying to break them down 2nd half, Kargbo broke things up well in midfield and kept us on the front foot. Vose was excellent finds good angles for his passes, quick in mind and very composed.

Thought Hamlet looked noticeably the fitter team in the closing stages, but could be that East Thurrock were holding on for most of the 2nd half.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Pink Panther likes this.
  23. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Someone got a photo of DHFC's 2nd VAR goal

FT 3-1

Pink Panther likes this.
  24. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Good attendance and great vocal support from the Rabble especially in the second half when we were still 0-1 down

Very much against the run of play did we go 0-1 down, but thats football

Second half some great moves only failed because of some very poor finishing (could have cost us)

Totally outrageous that we were denied a goal that was obviously over the line (this could have cost us dearly)

A point tonight would have seen us very much at the bottom of the league and ensured word got around that we were there for the taking

But thanks to Dipo's very impressive and coolly taken goal we are in the realms of mid table mediocrity

To be honest, that 94th minute goal not only sent fans home delirious and wanting more, it was almost worth the season ticket price alone

Lots to love about non-league football tonight and defiantly justice was done

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Jimbob73, Nivag and Pink Panther like this.
  25. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Excellent performance. After the break we absolutely pummelled them with our quick passing and movement. Yeah we wasted a few chances (and were denied one by the ref) but if we play like that every week we have nothing to fear.

I took a mate tonight for his first Dulwich game to Imperial Fields. At the start of the game he was like “yeah I’m pretty neutral and I just like to enjoy the game” and by the end of the game he was screaming “DIPO, DIPO DIPO, DIPO DIPO, DIPO AKINYEMI!”

That’s a great game. Sexy football.

clog, Nivag, bkbk and 3 others like this.
  26. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Great game. Main impression for me was that this team could be very good on this league once they get used to each other. Approach play was fast and fluid. Finishing a bit ropey. But that will come I hope.

27. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

What a night, really thought it was going to be 'one of those days' with the defensive nightmare in first half then the phantom goal in second.
    Great character to keep going and what a finish.

28. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

On the subject of the ghost goal, the floodlights were casting a very definite shadow directly underneath the crossbar onto the goal line. The ball is clearly over this shadow in the photo.

However, the markings on the pitch were so feint that you'd have barely been able to see the line had the shadow not been there, or the lino actually positioned correctly. As a result the officials have given ET the benefit of the doubt. My analysis is that the groundsman has cost us that goal and as a result I hope the lines are refreshed significantly before Saturday. Who's got the tenancy agreement?

pompeydunc, Nivag and EDC like this.
  29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Then of course there is revolutionary love
    Love of comrades fighting for the people and love of people
    Not an abstract people but people one meets and works with
    When Che Guevara taught of love being
    At the center of revolutionary endeavor, he meant both

For people like Che or George Jackson or Malcolm X
    Love was the prime mover of their struggle
    That love cost them their lives, love coupled with a man's pride
    Love coupled with a man's pride

30. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

What a game. I'm still bouncing off the walls. Vose was absolutely supreme and Cook's intricate footwork and deft flicks were brilliant. Also thought Figueira did very well and he was constant menace in behind the ET backline. Hadn't been convinced by him in the games that I had seen him, but he really won me over last night. Ming, Kargbo, Preston all excellent, too. One chap that hasn't been mentioned so far is Jay May, who won every header he went up for last night and did the target man role with aplomb. I can't remember the last time I saw us move the ball so quickly and have so many shots. Lovely to see.

Tomlin was fortunate he scored. Missed some sitters and still doesn't look fit to me. I can't see how he's picked over May or Dipo. Just to add some really controversial fat to the fire, too, I can't see how Clunis is going to get back in the side or what he'll bring. I think even the most vehement Clunisite can see that Cook creates more havoc and has more of an end product. Figueira can't be dropped on last night's performance and he can't lead the line as a #9. I'm not a massive fan of Clunis at all (blasphemy, I know), he doesn't convert enough of his chances for me. I hope we stick with the Cook-Vose-Figueira triumvirate that worked to such great effect last night.

Magnificent game. Roll on Saturday.