Dulwich Hamlet v Billericay Town (Saturday 16th Nov 3pm)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by bkbk, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Don Reid

Don Reid Member

Should Danny or Lewis have scored on Tuesday or yesterday?? I think they should have , I look at the team and were getting into the right areas but the quality of the final ball is missing and that's purely down to players not showing care or quality

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I thought Billericay were tactically sound yesterday and defended pretty well while most of the play was in their half for long spells, far more so than in the Wheeler/Tamplin era when they usually resembled a Sunday League side with professional standard players, relying on an odd mixture of a rudimentary long ball game and individual flair in the final third whilst completely losing their shape in the face of sudden counter attacks.

I don't think the back four could have done much more yesterday, they looked rock solid until McCoy was sold short by a poor pass from Clunis, allowing a forward to get in behind him. Orlu came across to cover but couldn't quite win the ball back before it was crossed onto the middle where we were left exposed. Vose was our best player ahead of the back four for me, yet I still heard people moaning that he was poor afterwards and questioning whether I'd been watching the same match when I disagreed. We all have our favourites, and with such a large squad he wouldn't necessarily make my preferred XI, but the manager clearly likes him. He's a very Gavin type of player, comfortable with receiving and holding the ball before moving it on efficiently. For me he's like a less flamboyant version of Carew with fewer risks taken, fewer unforced errors, but also fewer goals and moments of magic. I don't really see what more he could have done yesterday, he barely gave the ball away once.

Nathan Smith was excellent at left back, particularly in the first half. He was playing right in front of where I was stood on the halfway line, his defending was rock solid, winning a series of challenges with forceful tackles and headers and decisive interceptions. He doesn't offer the same threat as Jack Connors in the attacking half of the field though. This was only his third game since last season so he ought to get better, but I think his best position is probably centre back.

Having only one true striker on the pitch and none on the bench wasn't great though. Not for the first time we seem to have accumulated a very large squad with a lot of similar options for some positions and not enough for others. White desperately needs a goal, I think that could boost his confidence to a level that allows him to get plenty more.

bkbk likes this.
  3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

They were very well organised in their FA cup tie at ours until the gap in class showed and the floodgates broke.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

That cloudbusting free kick outside the box near the end was bloody awful too.

JoeBoy1959 likes this.
  5. SagaLout

SagaLout New Member

I'm new to Champion Hill and only started coming this season as my daughter is playing for the women's team. I was also struck by the flak that Vose was getting yesterday as, to my eye, he was decent. I also agree that Nathan Smith was impressive from a defensive perspective - very composed. I have a season ticket at Brentford and use their forum. There too, certain players can do no right but some eventually win people round. However, the result rather than the overall performance is what too often drives the narrative.

blueheaven, Nivag, pompeydunc and 5 others like this.
  6. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

I'll have to see it again on the highlights but my feeling at the time was that there were opportunities to prevent their goal after Nyren's mistake. I'll probably be wrong.

White does look short of any confidence.

7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

There probably were, but we'd been under no pressure whatsoever since half time until that happened. There didn't seem to be any need to play the ball backwards at that moment, it just invited them into our half when they hadn't been there for a while.

8. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Agree. Thought Orlu did some faffing about against their attacker near the corner flag, seemed like an age before the cross was put into the box and converted.

Thought Lewis White was unlucky not to score, but again, that’s were we need our attacking players to step up. He could have had two against Welling.

Vose is starting to look dependable but I don’t see the point in starting him and Mills together. A playmaker passing to a target man who lays back of to the play marker who tries to feed it into the target man. Feel sorry for Hunte who has goals in him from wide, would have started him instead of White.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  9. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Respect for all the (supporters trust?) volunteers for all their efforts yesterday. I hope they got to enjoy some of the game too!

Cyclodunc likes this.
  10. Don Reid

Don Reid Member

A lot of the players at the moment are showing a low footballing IQ, theres lots of time in the matches when they cross when a simple ball back to the midfield to change the angle would make all the difference

11. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

The opposite happens too.

12. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

We had a full house, with hundreds (lots) of local school children (thanks to the brilliant Community outreach work) - no doubt keen to say they had seen Dulwich Hamlet of FA Cup fame (well local fame)
    Third highest non-league attendance
    The anticipation - the hope....

I accept we were unlucky, but it hurts

Supporting Dulwich Hamlet is one of the few pleasures in a mad, mad world, usually philosophical after we lose - but need some answers

editor likes this.
  13. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Loosing a game like that is worrying, Billericay did not look particularly dangerous the whole game. WE'll need to turn this form around soon.

Spent about a third of my afternoon in the queue for draft beer in the clubhouse, one stint which was stood right in front of a young, mouthy little cunt shouting derogatory stuff about hating left wing people and how all Dulwich fans are wankers etc. It took a lot of patience for me to not take the bait and give it back but couldnt be arsed to argue with 3 of them by myself in a 30 minute queue. Lets hope they sort the cellar problem they had soon, as you could only get cans on the other half of the bar.

editor likes this.
  14. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

Dark hair , black rimmed glasses and blue and white bar scarf ?

15. jimbarkanoodle

sounds like the oik, yes. Quite podgy too, right?

Duckula 3:16 likes this.
  16. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Yeah, sorry about that.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  17. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

Yep , he was gobbing off about " left wing dulwich wankers " in the corridor out to the stand , I said to him to tone it down but he carried on then said he had been abused in the bar , we exchanged unpleasantries as we walked down the stairs and went our separate ways .
    As i walked round to the dog kennel end for the second half i bumped into him again , he held out his hand and apologised and i said to him that its not like that here and left it at that .
    Seemed to me he was over beered for his own good and thought he could get lairy then realised what a bell he was being

jimbarkanoodle and Nivag like this.
  18. jimbarkanoodle

His 2 friends seemed a bit embarrassed about him. He was trying to make an odd point that we shouldnt have T.V's in the bar, due to the stencil on the wall about Dulwich Hamlet not being televised. Still, glad he wised up.