Dulwich Hamlet v Bath City, Saturday 5th January 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Matt The Cab, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to pinpoint why it all seems to have gone wrong. The home game with Weston-Super-Mare, when we blew a 3-1 lead with less than ten minutes left seems to be where it started, and that was rapidly followed by an infuriating defeat against a poor Truro side, when we completely outplayed them for long spells and fought back so strongly from an early two goal deficit that even a draw would have felt like two points dropped, before falling to a late sucker punch and being left empty handed.

We had a difficult summer for retaining and recruiting players, which explains the slow start, but by early November we had 6 wins and 6 defeats from our first 15 league matches and were near the top of the current form table. Since then we've had only one more win and seven further defeats from ten matches. The absences of Kargbo, Vose and Okuonghae from so many matches are all I can really come up with. That's a lot of experience and authority, and I think that's what's been most lacking. I know Okuonghae has made some costly gaffes but these have mostly been down to slow reactions rather than errors of judgement or poor technique. I can't see him improving long term, I suspect after a lengthy professional career he's struggled to adapt to a less intensive training regime whilst building a career off the field and has lost a physical edge, but he is the club captain with a lot of experience and i feel he can still play an important part ofr the remainder of the current season.

A big worry in recent games has been how quickly the level of performance seems to fall away once we concede; it's difficult to see us fighting back to get anything out of games where the opposition scores first. One way or another I think we need more individuals on the field with some sort of charisma and leadership qualities. We seem to have a lot of footsoldiers who look individually adequate but don't really seem to lift or galvanise those around them. Maybe if Kargbo, Vose and Okuonghae all return to the starting XI fully fit that will be enough; maybe we need to bring in a couple of new faces? We have 17 matches left and depending on how the teams below us perform we need a minimum 15-20 more points

2. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Gavin has always had a tendency towards chopping and changing a lot once things start to go wrong, in a way that often makes things worse before they get better I think. See the various mid-season collapses over the few years before last year's more solid team. Seems like it's going that way again a bit.

3. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Last season featured a collapse as well. 6 games without a win between mid january and early march

4. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

I think we should all take a moment to reflect on how incredibly fortunate we are to be able to head out for the evening after a game.

:hmm:

Ronco, Dirty South, pettyboy and 3 others like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's as traditional as Easter eggs.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  6. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Saturday against Hampton will be interesting. Their form is even worse than ours, although they have had to play Woking twice over Christmas. The loser of that could be in big trouble.

7. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

If you could arrange some crowd funding to assist me, then I'll lump on the Hampton win... with my track record it'll guarantee 1 point and maybe all 3.

The things I'm willing to do for this club*

*the exception being, collect litter :hmm:

Jamie Wyatt and StephenMac like this.
  8. StephenMac

Heading out to Streatham Tesco with a collection bucket right now.

Matt The Cab likes this.
  9. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

No, the one next to it with the hot yoga studio.

10. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Has anyone ever actually met someone called tarquin?

pettyboy likes this.
  11. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

The Clunas must have done.

WillClunas likes this.
  12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

I've met a Torquil - that's possibly more Tarquin than Tarquin.

Moroccan Sunset and StephenMac like this.
  13. StephenMac

Same here and he wasn't even posh.

14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

It's not the same one then...

StephenMac likes this.
  15. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

My best friend at primary school was called Tarquin... Julian and Tarquin, imagine that!

16. StephenMac

Brave admission. I salute you.

Moroccan Sunset, editor and Jules P like this.
  17. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Jules P likes this.
  18. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

GR: "We ask some of the players to be honest now. They are holding onto fire (?) contracts... You ask them to be honest, and realise that they are doing themselves more harm, as they won’t get a better contract if they continue being part of this anyway. We do need people to be honest, hold their hands up and mutually terminate [their contract].”

:eek:

19. WillClunas

I really haven't, but the fact I needed to stop and think about it...

Cyclodunc and pettyboy like this.
  20. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it's as simple as that. We are definitely missing Kargbo, as we are having to rely on Ash or Ferguson to play holding midfielder position, which is really not fair on them. I don't think Okuonghae is much or any improvement on Taylor, Toure and Chambers (although MC has had a shaky three games in a row, which has been unexpected). I recognise that Vose is a very good technical player, but he is also very conservative in his approach, and does not seek the killer baller enough for an attacking midfielder, and he hasn't make up for that in goals. I think he would be an improvement, but not the answer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we have had extended slumps in several previous seasons, and bookended by strong starts and finishes. Some managers will create a siege mentality when things are going badly, and stick up for their players. Whereas, as Monkeygrinder's Organ say, I think the management (and many fans as well) are extremely quick to pull apart previously successful players or winning tactics / formations. We have become more and more direct this season, which is not playing to the strengths of this team (with the exception of May and Erskine).

The problem has been fixed in previous seasons by rolling the dice several times in the hope of something coming up, and invariably it has, e.g. switching to 3-5-2 a couple of seasons back. I just fear in this league that the step up in quality makes this scatter gun approach more risky.

Poids and scousedom like this.
  21. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

When Gavin is in that sort of mood, I'd be mutually terminating my pants as well as my contract.
    The master of understated fear!

22. StephenMac

Maybe ask Billericay how they've persuaded so many players to terminate contracts recently. Actually, maybe not...

23. StephenMac

Prayers for Quade who looked a little bit traumatised in his interview. And a bravery medal for Tom B for conducting interviews with Gavin in this kind of mood.

24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

There on Sat? I need all the Wills and Tarquins.

25. WillClunas

Hampton & Richmond away, no. I'll send Tarquin on my behalf. There tomorrow though.

B.I.G likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Please come on sat if you can.

27. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Hampton & Richmond away is mine & Will's anniversary game <3

WillClunas and B.I.G like this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Are you coming? Trying to raise some decent singing.

pettyboy likes this.
  29. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't miss it for the fucking world

B.I.G likes this.
  30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Any chance of getting WillClunas or Champion_hill?