Dulwich Hamlet v Bath City, Saturday 5th January 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Matt The Cab, Dec 31, 2018.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Apparently, even today's crowd is a fair bit below our actual maximum capacity.

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Gavin Out :facepalm:

Blitzwalker and Pink Panther like this.
  3. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

But the changes never seem to come. Apart from the early season clearing out, we've only binned Iffy Allen and Jay May, and sent Kingsley back to QPR in recent weeks. None of them were regular starters so I don't think anyone in their right mind would point to them as the problem.

I think Vose is a massive loss, but our season/team shouldn't hinge on one player.

pettyboy likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

5. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Do you know what our maximum is? The Capacity is 3000. I stood next to Bath City supporters in the first half who complained about the size of the crowd and the metal railings around the pitch. They also moaned about the lack of beer. They moaned about everything to be honest...I reassured them they would not be crushed.

Not at all. But Gavin is running out of players to drop. Does he now drop Erskin for his performance? And chambers for the own goal?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I was told it's something like 3,250 or something but we've never gone to the total limit for safety reasons.

RabbleLevi and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  7. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I personally won’t sleep tonight worrying about the Bath fans’ concerns.

8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You dont know anything!

Stop talking like you know everything!

Idiot.

Blitzwalker and EDC like this.
  9. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Apologies. Won’t happen again.

10. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Capacity is around 3400

RabbleLevi and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  11. Moroccan Sunset

I personally thought the record crowd was a good thing. Long may it continue.

pompeydunc, Pink Panther and Lucy Fur like this.
  12. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

We lost a quality established back line at the end of last season, and have been fannying around with strikers and midfield ever since. You build a team from the back, as clearly all our recent teams weve lost to have done. Don't concede, don't drop points. and Dipo should be starting every game and pulled off only when he picks up the inevitable yellows.

13. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Maybe there would have been less crowd congestion to deal with if their twatty team hadn't made everyone change ends at the beginning of the game

Jimbob73, iamwithnail, editor and 2 others like this.
  14. scousedom

Agreed. I like the incremental approach. Very Sergey Bubka.

pompeydunc likes this.
  15. Moroccan Sunset

Agree with this. I thought we did OK for the first half and was pretty happy that we went in 0-0 against a side in the hunt for promotion. I stayed up the Greendale end, and we were really sloppy with the ball at the back. The one positive was that Cheick Toure had another excellent game - I don't think he lost a single header for the first 45 and he seemed like the only one able to hold back the Bath strikers.

Couldn't see the first goal clearly, but the second was a complete fuck up. After that, heads dropped and we looked utterly beaten, apart from Cook who is constantly chatty and upbeat. We're bereft of leaders.

Could not see any sense in putting Erskine and Thompson up front together. They're both target men and look to play the ball off to someone, so it was a partnership that would never work. It was crying out for Dipo, but it felt like the management were more concerned about making a point to a player that (apparently) underperformed last week. Agree with RabbleLevi insofar as he looks like the only player capable of shooting, let alone scoring. He has to start. If Dipo doesn't fit 'the system', then sorry, but I think 'the system' is wrong.

I genuinely think Tuesday is quite a significant game now. Our confidence looks shot and while thrashing Barking 5-0 wouldn't instantly solve our problems, I do think it might help us rebuild a bit of belief. An important match, I think.

I see Gavin and Kadi were spotted at Fulham U23s yesterday. The teamsheet for the game doesn't have any current DHFC players listed, so I can only assume they were there scouting. I seriously hope we can loan some players (plural) in and fast. We need fresh blood and maybe some untainted youngsters with something to prove will inject a bit of zest and energy.

We haven't had a relegation battle at Dulwich for a long time, but we have one now. It's a fight for survival from now on. The next two league matches are huge.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Pink Panther, Nivag and RabbleLevi like this.
  16. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Capacity isn’t 3,000 any longer. It’s been re-assessed and is in the region of 3,400. The club wouldn’t be so stupid as to flout ground regulations, and compromise the safety of those attending. I agree that it’s very uncomfortable and would suggest that the club has been increasing the attendances incrementally in order to see what the ground is capable of accommodating ‘comfortably’. I would further suggest that we reached that today as there were queues at places where there weren’t queues at the previous two matches.

I think we have to accept that whilst it’s great to be back home, it is also going to be uncomfortable for the time being. In due course, the day trippers will fall by the wayside, attendances will settle down and things will become a bit more manageable. In the meantime, we need people to show a bit of patience and common sense at the home games.

Let’s not leave the place looking like a rubbish tip at the end. Take our crap home with us, or at least put it in the bins provided as the people who have to pick it up have done enough work as it is in getting us back to Champion Hill and getting the games on in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Cyclodunc, pettyboy, Lucy Fur and 4 others like this.
  17. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Just thinking that due to the large crowd people are less inclined to go looking for a bin as they might lose a prime viewing position or the bins are not that obvious due to the amount of people in the way.

scousedom likes this.
  18. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Positive point - Amazing crowd and 200-300 fans turned away, queues almost on to Dog Kennel hill
    I was truly shocked at the huge crowd - great to see so many new, young and women fans

BUT Truly shocking performance - did any Hamlet player have a shot on goal
    Great to have a record breaking crowd but to see what ?
    first half passable but......
    Gavin needs to sort this out - seriously didnt expect to win today - Bath are a high flying side - but seriously what player was up for it
    3,100 crowd the least we can do is turn up on the pitch

Off the pitch huge queues for the toilets and couldn't see the game - some unhappy punters on both fronts

we cannot afford to go on like this

Lucy Fur, Nivag and Taper like this.
  19. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Hold the rubbish in your hand or put it in your bag/pocket. If you're going for more beer or to the lavatory you're going to pass a bin anyway. Can't people just take responsibility instead of having everything done for them?

Lucy Fur, Nivag and Blitzwalker like this.
  20. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I agree with you that folks need to do this, was just mentioning it could be a reason why it's worse than normal.
    Behind the goal at the greendale end next to the raised bit on the opposite side to the can bar there weren't any bins to use. Which is a dead spot as you can't view the pitch once it's 3/4 deep on the fence.

21. scousedom

Can I just add “Kids these days. Tsk”?

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  22. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Some people having a go at our new fans - who "allegedly" are not proper fans

Can do one

serious, we are 17th in the League (hardly fair weather supporters - or glory hunters)

You pay your £12 you can do what you like and enjoy your football how you like - its not for anyone to proscribe how you enjoy your football or support our club

23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You are right of course. Next home game I’m going to stand in the yellow hatchings of the stand, blocking everyone’s view. Throw my rubbish wherever I see fit. And generally act like I own the place when people ask me politely to move.

They need a slap.

scousedom likes this.
  24. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

Apart from the result I thought we did well for most of the game against one of the best teams we have played. The Bath players beat us with skill and loads of effort. I think we could learn something from the way they work and flick the ball forward diagonally. They play with confidence and a trust of each other. They click like a group of friends playing 5-a-side. No disrespect to Erskine but Dipo is much more mobile. He has to be first choice.

25. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Well said. As someone who rocked up in 1991 I'm very grateful to the new fans. Does anyone seriously believe we would have survived the end of the lease if our average gate was still 170?

Mind you how you define new depends on your perspective. Compared to the likes of Bill, Mishi, Shaun, Richard and Jack my approaching 28 years makes me a positive newcomer.

I have no idea who the original posters are given I live elsewhere now and make about 5 games a season. However we do seem to have gone from an era of worryingly small support to decent gates ok. Yet now we are demanding people prove a life long allegiance as we move towards surreal gates.

Well Mishi and Liam are ok. Not sure gates of 2 will sustain us in the Conference South mind. Bill Kirby too mind so that's three.....

pompeydunc and PartisanDulwich like this.
  26. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to calm down We lost to a team in the playoffs.

Gavin doesn't need to panic, we need to do well against teams around us, but our fans have an inflated sense of self importance. We are a team struggling to stay up. We won't usually beat teams who are 5th in the league.

I actually thought we did quite well today against a side who were much better than us.

27. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I laughed more than I should have at that.

editor likes this.
  28. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Woo hoo! Up the Romans. Too bad, hipsters ;)

29. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

The problem is we haven’t done well against the teams around us. Whilst I acknowledge we are in our first season in this league it certainly feels like all is not well behind the scenes regards the players and management.

It’s great to return to Champion Hill with the big crowds and I love the fact that Dulwich can draw crowds of 3000+ from all walks of life but the current team are lacking in so many ways. There is no leadership on the pitch, no player is capable of lifting the team and it’s never going to improve if the manger publicly criticises the players (note Jose!). The managers job is to instil belief in the players that they can go out a win matches, be interested to see how Gav responds to this defeat, you can’t keep blaming the players.

Lucy Fur and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  30. editor

editor hiraethified

Fair comment on the Bath forum

And the inevitable:

Dulwich 0 City 2 (Smith, Stearn)