Dulwich Hamlet Transfers - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, May 11, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

On the subject of players who don't need to be kept under wraps:

The chairman told me last night that we've signed experienced forward Jay May from Margate. He's also played for Dartford, Bromley and Maidstone .

Nivag, bkbk and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  2. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is that I'm slightly underwhelmed with Jay's signing. He did have a couple of good seasons with Maidstone back in 2014/5 and 2015/16 - latterly in National South - when he was their top scorer in both seasons but in the last couple of years he's been in lower leagues with Hythe Town and Margate. He's also 34. I'm not sure how may goals he scored last year - does anyone know? I was kinda hoping for someone really mobile up front to counter the loss of Faal and Reise but I don't think Jay's that kind of player. Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong!!

3. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Think that’s a solid squad signing, and the type of player we didn’t have last year when we had to send Hayles upfront on numerous occasions when chasing a goal. I’m sure there’s more to come to try and fill the specific gaps that Allassani and Faal have left.

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. Pink Panther

I'd say he's more of a replacement for DD, whose persistent knee problem is apparently going to prevent him from playing at our level in the foreseeable future.

The two young triallist strikers who have appeared in the first two matches both look pretty mobile and skilful to me. I'd be happy to secure one or both on the evidence of what I've seen so far.

I think we need to remember that we added quite a lot of players to the squad after last season started (Ferguson, Abrahams, Allassani, Onovwigun), while Boakye-Yiadom and Faal only arrived right at the end of pre-season. Sometimes it's a question of being patient and seeing who becomes available.

5. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Quite happy with Jay, personally. As PP and Dave have touched on, I think he'll bring some experience and know-how to the frontline and the changing room - vital qualities following the departures of Beaney, Weatherstone et al. He's a serial winner as well: he was a mainstay in the Dartford side that rocketed through the divisions a decade or so ago. Very few mugs have played for Maidstone in recent years either.

I think it's a very astute bit of business. I can only speculate, but I'd imagine there's a massive temptation for managers, when they get promoted, to snap up all the bright, younger players that they've come across and splash the new, improved budget they've been given on players in their physical primes. But as we've all seen at DHFC sometimes the bright, young, technically-gifted players aren't the answer in those gritty Tuesday-night, mid-February tussles with [insert name of bang average side here]. I'd say it would be quite easy to overlook people like May in favour of a 25 year old, when really their age and experience is a plus, rather than a minus.

I appreciate I'm very much on my own with this but I still insist that Connor French is Gavin's best signing and I'm not sure we would have won that division without him. French was blunt and street-wise, a back-to-goal striker that contrasted massively to the nimble Erhun and Danny Carr. It was the fact that he was so different to every other player that we had that made him invaluable - he gave us a totally different dimension to our super-subtle attack. From what I've seen of May, he's of a similar mould: strong, back-to-goal, bullish - the opposite of Clunis, Ferguson, Lawrence and the two trialists that have turned out for us in the friendlies thus far.

I like this signing. Quietly confident that we've got ourselves an absolute gem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Cyclodunc and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  8. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Oh well obvs. That goes without saying.

B.I.G likes this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Love the beast.

10. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

So is A. Trialist signing or not?

11. Pink Panther

We've had at least 7 of them so far: three centre backs, two midfielders and two strikers.

Each of the strikers has scored 3 goals so far. One of the midfielders scored the third goal at Walthamstow. These three were all on the Hamburg tour along with one of the centre backs.

I believe we're especially keen to sign one of the other centre backs, an experienced Football League and National League player, and are hopeful of securing a deal imminently.

We need a minimum of two new centre backs; I'm guessing we can't afford to sign all the others even if we think they're good enough.

clog, Jimbob73 and B.I.G like this.
  12. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

liamdhfc has confirmed on Twitter that Magnus Okuonghae has signed, which is obviously tremendous news. Massive amounts of experience at higher levels, a big part of Maidstone progressing and stabilising in the National South and National over the last few seasons, and a real leader as well.

Feels like we need another centre back, a central midfielder and a couple of forwards (on the assumption DD won't be returning), and we should be in good shape.

blueheaven likes this.
  13. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Time for an update Pink Panther? Strong rumours circulating last night that the trialist forward (who has been scoring frequently) is very likely to sign, and of course Magnus is a done deal.

Less clear on your unconfirmed list. I would presume that several of these will be retained a non-contract basis, and maybe a couple sign for the year. Would be good to know more...

14. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Tomlin has also signed and Tangara will also sign forms. Others are not over the line yet

Jimbob73 and AveryDave like this.
  15. Pink Panther

Right, we seem to be up to 16 confirmed players, with a few more of last season's squad likely to stay after featuring in pre-season. The five triallists I've been able to identify include three ex-Chelsea Academy and one ex-Arsenal Academy players with varying amounts of non-league experience, plus a former lower league pro who made a dozen or so first team appearances as well as having loan spells at a variety of non-league clubs, with a couple having also played overseas; I believe four of them were on the Hamburg tour. A couple of other triallists featured in one game each but I guess they've already been discounted.

The older of the two strikers scored against Walthamstow, Haringey and Altona; physically he resembles Nana Boakye-Yiadom, a bit bigger but strongly built with a low centre of gravity, and he seems to offer the sort of pace movement and finishing qualities that we'll need to replace following Reise Allassani departure, so from what I've seen he looks like a good fit if we can secure his signature. (The other striker scored at Walthamstow and twice against Falke and looks decent enough, but I'm not sure he offers more than what we already have.) The greater priority is another defender by my reckoning, but how many more people we're able to commit to signing probably depends upon financial considerations.

I assume the phrase "Tangara will sign forms" means he's agreed to sign National League registration forms and remain with us on a non-contract basis. Unless Edwards is injured or suspended his opportunities are likely to be limited, but now we're in a different league he would also be allowed to become dual-registered with an Isthmian League club in order to get more game time whilst remaining available to us when required. If he was under contract we could only loan him out to other clubs for fixed periods.

Confirmed:

Dipo Akinyemi
    Ashley Carew
    Michael Chambers
    Nyren Clunis
    Anthony Cook (from Ebbsfleet United)
    Preston Edwards
    Nathan Ferguson
    Nathan Green
    Byron Lawrence (from Billericay Town)
    Jay May (from Margate)
    Sanchez Ming
    Magnus Okuonghae (from Maidstone United)
    Michael Onovwigun
    Amadou Tangara
    Quade Taylor
    Gavin Tomlin

Unconfirmed:
    Tanasheh Abrahams
    Caio Guimaraes
    Ibrahim Kargbo
    Mohomed Mohomed
    triallist defender (aged 24)
    triallist defender (aged 23)
    triallist midfielder (aged 21)
    triallist striker (aged 23)
    traillist striker (aged 21)

Departures:

Anthony Acheampong (Welling United)
    Reise Allassani (Coventry City)
    Kenny Beaney (Merstham)
    Nana Boakye-Yiadom (Concord Rangers)
    Dumebi Dumaka (long term injury)
    Muhammadu Faal (Kingstonian)
    Rickie Hayles (Billericay Town)
    Marc Weatherstone (Wingate & Finchley)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    clog, AveryDave, Nivag and 3 others like this.
  16. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Being a pedant but he only scored one against Falke, Jay May scored the other first half goal, but I agree, think the other Trialist has been excellent up front, composed and a bit fiery, linked up well with Dipo at Altona

scousedom and Pink Panther like this.
  17. Pink Panther

Thanks for clarification. I wasn't there and the club's Twitter feed on the website credited the fourth goal as "A.Triallist scores his second". Having watched the video again the fourth goal was scored by Byron Lawrence. (Which isn't as bizarre as the caption on the local video giving it to Quade Taylor!)

baleboy_93 likes this.
  18. Pink Panther

I like the look of this triallist but with Tomlin, Clunis, Akinyemi, May and the other impressive triallist who seems likely to sign I'm not sure we can afford to carry 6 senior players for two places; Clunis can play right wing-back but Cook looks nailed on as first choice for that and we also have Ming who excelled in that role last season.

19. Pink Panther

Once again, we look a bit light for the three centre back positions with Weatherstone, Acheampong and Hayles all leaving and only Ahuonghae confirmed as a replacement.

*Bloody hell. I keep quoting my own posts and looking like an attention seeker or a simpleton.

clog, Jimbob73 and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Would Ming be an option at CB?

baleboy_93 likes this.
  21. Pink Panther

He's been playing there in pre-season so far, on right of the back three. He filled in there a number of times last season but I'm not convinced. Looks a bit non-league Kyle Walker and would prefer him at wing-back, but maybe he just needs more game time to settle into that position. I guess it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

B.I.G likes this.
  22. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Love Ming. Wouldnt want him competing just with cook and clunis for RWB.

23. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I wasn’t at Charlton, but on tour Tomlin was playing a lot deeper. Maybe that was just a case of giving him game time or maybe he’s seen as not just an option up front but in the midfield three too? (I’ve always preferred him in the hole behind two strikers). Perhaps even a discussion over his future role was what the delay in signing his contract was about?

24. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Todays South London Press (print edition) has confirmed the signing of Danny Pappoe (the ex-Chelsea academy CB triallist).

It also confirmed the names of the other triallists so I guess we can speak freely now. None of those are over the line but we are keen if we can balance the books.

25. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Is this the same guy who wore number 9 against Charlton?

26. Pink Panther

Yes.

blueheaven likes this.
  27. kkarvegard

kkarvegard New Member

What's the other trialists names? I live in Sweden so its not that easy for me to get a copy of the paper. Or could someone post the entire article?

28. kkarvegard

kkarvegard New Member

Could you post a picture of the article?

29. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

30. Pink Panther

I assume the triallists who aren't named by the South London Press are no longer under consideration. Comparing all the departures and arrivals I'd be a little happier if we still had Marc Weatherstone, but if we get the Cundle and Figueira deals done I think that's a decent enough squad with not too much of a turnover since last season. Updated list:

Confirmed:

Dipo Akinyemi
    Ashley Carew
    Michael Chambers
    Nyren Clunis
    Anthony Cook (from Ebbsfleet United)
    Preston Edwards
    Nathan Ferguson
    Nathan Green
    Byron Lawrence (from Billericay Town)
    Jay May (from Margate)
    Sanchez Ming
    Magnus Okuonghae (from Maidstone United)
    Michael Onovwigun
    Daniel Pappoe (from Foresta Suceava)
    Amadou Tangara
    Quade Taylor
    Gavin Tomlin

Unconfirmed:
    Tanasheh Abrahams
    Caio Guimaraes
    Ibrahim Kargbo
    Mohomed Mohomed
    Greg Cundle (from Gillingham)

Walter Figueira (from Moura)
    triallist defender (aged 23, ex-Arsenal Academy)
    triallist midfielder (aged 21, ex-Chelsea Junior, Barnet Academy)

Departures:

Anthony Acheampong (Welling United)
    Reise Allassani (Coventry City)
    Kenny Beaney (Merstham)
    Nana Boakye-Yiadom (Concord Rangers)
    Dumebi Dumaka (long term injury)
    Muhammadu Faal (Kingstonian)
    Rickie Hayles (Billericay Town)
    Marc Weatherstone (Wingate & Finchley)

clog and Nivag like this.