Dulwich Hamlet Transfers - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, May 11, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

On the subject of players who don't need to be kept under wraps:

The chairman told me last night that we've signed experienced forward Jay May from Margate. He's also played for Dartford, Bromley and Maidstone .

Nivag, bkbk and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  2. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is that I'm slightly underwhelmed with Jay's signing. He did have a couple of good seasons with Maidstone back in 2014/5 and 2015/16 - latterly in National South - when he was their top scorer in both seasons but in the last couple of years he's been in lower leagues with Hythe Town and Margate. He's also 34. I'm not sure how may goals he scored last year - does anyone know? I was kinda hoping for someone really mobile up front to counter the loss of Faal and Reise but I don't think Jay's that kind of player. Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong!!

3. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Think that’s a solid squad signing, and the type of player we didn’t have last year when we had to send Hayles upfront on numerous occasions when chasing a goal. I’m sure there’s more to come to try and fill the specific gaps that Allassani and Faal have left.

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'd say he's more of a replacement for DD, whose persistent knee problem is apparently going to prevent him from playing at our level in the foreseeable future.

The two young triallist strikers who have appeared in the first two matches both look pretty mobile and skilful to me. I'd be happy to secure one or both on the evidence of what I've seen so far.

I think we need to remember that we added quite a lot of players to the squad after last season started (Ferguson, Abrahams, Allassani, Onovwigun), while Boakye-Yiadom and Faal only arrived right at the end of pre-season. Sometimes it's a question of being patient and seeing who becomes available.

5. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Quite happy with Jay, personally. As PP and Dave have touched on, I think he'll bring some experience and know-how to the frontline and the changing room - vital qualities following the departures of Beaney, Weatherstone et al. He's a serial winner as well: he was a mainstay in the Dartford side that rocketed through the divisions a decade or so ago. Very few mugs have played for Maidstone in recent years either.

I think it's a very astute bit of business. I can only speculate, but I'd imagine there's a massive temptation for managers, when they get promoted, to snap up all the bright, younger players that they've come across and splash the new, improved budget they've been given on players in their physical primes. But as we've all seen at DHFC sometimes the bright, young, technically-gifted players aren't the answer in those gritty Tuesday-night, mid-February tussles with [insert name of bang average side here]. I'd say it would be quite easy to overlook people like May in favour of a 25 year old, when really their age and experience is a plus, rather than a minus.

I appreciate I'm very much on my own with this but I still insist that Connor French is Gavin's best signing and I'm not sure we would have won that division without him. French was blunt and street-wise, a back-to-goal striker that contrasted massively to the nimble Erhun and Danny Carr. It was the fact that he was so different to every other player that we had that made him invaluable - he gave us a totally different dimension to our super-subtle attack. From what I've seen of May, he's of a similar mould: strong, back-to-goal, bullish - the opposite of Clunis, Ferguson, Lawrence and the two trialists that have turned out for us in the friendlies thus far.

I like this signing. Quietly confident that we've got ourselves an absolute gem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Cyclodunc and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  8. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Oh well obvs. That goes without saying.

B.I.G likes this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Love the beast.