Dulwich Hamlet Transfers - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, May 11, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Whilst the "level" may be the same I would argue that the competition is tougher, as the strongest teams are divided between 2 divisions instead of 3. Only 44 clubs across the country are competing at this level instead of 66. It's a more elite competition.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  2. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Agree with both of the posts above by and large. Beaney's departure doesn't surprise me - his technique and passing range are superb, but his lack of mobility and pace were exposed in the Isthmian Prem at times. Bearing in mind teams like Torquay are remaining professional (so I hear), I can only imagine those flaws would become more apparent.

I think Weathers' leadership and bond with the fans will be a big loss and his personality is going to take some replacing. I think in terms of ability he could have stepped up to the Conf South too, so it really is a shame to see him go.

I still don't get Faal's departure. If we are keeping the budget tight and need younger players to flesh out the bones of the side, then surely a young winger, who's shown promise throughout the season and had a successful loan spell with K's, would fit the bill. It's a shame, I think.

Pink Panther likes this.
  3. Pink Panther

Fully agree with both those assessments. Beaney was ideally suited to our passing and possession game but we'll probably face a few more matches where the opposition can match us in that respect, so someone like Onovwigun - a powerful athlete with a big engine if a less technically polished footballer - could be needed to give the midfield a better balance.

Not sure what Weathers' day job is but I think he lives at Barking, which is pretty central for all the longer away trips from the Isthmian League but the wrong side of London for the West Country trips next season.
    Perhaps it was simply the player's choice? He made an instant impression at Ks and started every game whereas he made only 6 league starts for us, and they look to be assembling a squad to challenge for promotion next season. They might even have offered him more than we were paying him, as they clearly have some new investment in the playing budget with people like Buchanan and Theophanous signing up.

4. AveryDave

AveryDave Well-Known Member

Looks pretty real from where I'm standing.

Do you think it was the same in respect of quality of opposition, geographic spread, demands on the club, and so on? Honest question, I wasn't there at the time.

5. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

The obvious difference was it was one of three feeders into the Conference not two. The top teams were good however the lesser Isthmian Premier teams - a list which usually included Dulwich - were well below current Conference South standard.

The Isthmian had a very small geographic footprint. You were often home in time for tea. The longest trip was usually Bognor, and away cup match at Hungerford was memorable as an unusually long trip. Truro away was slightly less likely than us playing on the moon back then.

Noss, Lucy Fur, Jamie Wyatt and 2 others like this.
  6. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Faal turned down his offer of re engagement from the club and decided to sign for Ks.

7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Glad you put ' ;) ' after 'blind loyalty'....because that's one thing I can never be accused of. There are many more on here who do that who fawn over players, who were good, but decidedly average in the overall scheme of things, when you consider some of the true greats we have had wear the Pink 'n' Blue, while they call them the much diluted and abused word of being a 'legend'.
    'Blind loyalty'....yeah, to Ryan & Brown; Bouffant Berry; Les the Manager; Garland at the end...need I go on? I rest my case...

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  8. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

To be fair Gwynne Berry built a very good side. It's just a shame it was five years after they were very good............

9. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reise has signed for Coventry City
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">News: Coventry City have signed Reise Allassani from Dulwich Hamlet. The 22-year-old has signed a 2+1 deal and will be playing for Coventry in League One next season.</p>&mdash; Jack Pitt-Brooke (JackPittBrooke) <a href="">May 31, 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pink Panther likes this.
  10. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Good luck Reise, amazing opportunity at Coventry.
    Looks like we need so firepower now!

11. AveryDave

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  12. AveryDave

Anthony Acheampong has announced on Twitter that he's not staying on:

13. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

This is a strange one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's Dartford-bound - Jamie Coyle has just taken over there and he managed him during his loan spell at Welling last season. Dartford must be bloody loaded, too.

StephenMac likes this.
  14. Jimbob73

Lots of out goings, hope we get some good news soon :thumbs:

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  15. Pink Panther

And of course they played together for Maidstone the season before that so I agree that could be a likely move, although I not sure about Dartford being "loaded". They have a modern ground owned by the local council with a lot of "green" features, so they probably benefit from low rent and overheads. They only missed winning our new division on goal difference, had the largest average attendance in the division, and have recently had a brief spell in the National Division. Therefore they're already a bit further along the line and better placed than we are to take another step up.

It's disappointing to lose Ach, he played quite a lot for Maidstone two seasons ago in the National Division, he's relatively young at 26-27, and unfortunately we only really began to see the best of him right at the end of the season after he had a long spell out injured then went out on loan after being unable to regain a regular place in a winning side.

I hope we're able to start making some positive announcements regarding current or new players committing for next season, but it must be a big obstacle trying to guarantee contracts for the same number of players given the current situation, and that is the fault of Meadow. We only used 29 players in all competitions last season, which must be the lowest for many years. All 19 of the players who constituted the first team squad at the start of the season remained until the end of the season, which must be a record in modern times. Seven players joined during the course of the season, five of whom completed the season (Frazer Shaw & Omar Koroma were the exceptions), Corey Addai came on loan for a month, and the remaining two players were youngsters who only appeared in the minor cups. Therefore despite the six departures so far we're still only one short of the number that started last season.

Notwithstanding any further departures, we still have the following:

Tanasheh Abrahams
    Dipo Akinyemi
    Ashley Carew
    Michael Chambers
    Nyren Clunis
    Dumebi Dumaka
    Preston Edwards
    Nathan Ferguson
    Nathan Green
    Caio Guimaraes
    Rickie Hayles
    Ibrahim Kargbo
    Sanchez Ming
    Mohomed Mohomed
    Michael Onovwigun
    Amadou Tangara
    Quade Taylor
    Gavin Tomlin

Departures so far:
    Anthony Acheampong
    Reise Allasani (Coventry City)
    Kenny Beaney (Merstham)
    Nana Boakye-Yiadom (Concord Rangers)
    Muhammadu Faal (Kingstonian)
    Marc Weatherstone (Wingate & Finchley)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    clog likes this.
  16. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

I see Ibra Sekajja is expected to be leaving Bognor - I'd be happy for us to bring him back in for next season.

Hope we have some good options lined up for defence with both Weatherstone and Acheampong gone. Was hoping we'd be able to go into the new season with largely the same backline as they were so strong for us last season.

Poids and Pink Panther like this.
  17. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Beaney has signed for Mersthsm

18. Pink Panther

Thanks. Edited above.

the 12th man likes this.
  19. Pink Panther

Agree on both counts. Sekajja's attempt to seek a bigger club at a higher level backfired spectacularly after having the most productive spell of his career with us. Looked suspiciously like a classic case of "dodgy agent syndrome". (Speaking of which, how is Dan Sweeney doing these days?)

Having five reliable defenders for three places and being able to rotate or cover for injuries was a huge factor in our success and the fact that we had the best defence in the league by some distance.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    scousedom, blueheaven and Poids like this.
  20. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Captain at Barnet for second half of last season...

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Incoming!

Byron Lawrence - Wikipedia

Nivag, Jimbob73 and YTC like this.
  22. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Alfredo!

Nice signing. Attack minded midfield player with a good left foot.

23. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Glenn Driver, who had him at on loan at Leiston, rates him very highly indeed.

YTC likes this.
  24. Jimbob73

Welcome Byron!

Did he play any games last season, if not anyone know why? Anyone know much about him (other than on wiki)?

25. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

He played about 50 on loan at Leiston from Billericay, including an appearance against us in the semi.

I think he can play both the high or deep positions in our three but if deeper it'd be the Beaney/Carew role alongside a Kargbo/Onovwigun (who, as an aside, I hope stays and continues to develop with us because he has a lot of promising attributes).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Harry R, Jimbob73 and YTC like this.
  26. Jimbob73

Ok thanks, can't remember him particularly but the Leiston midfield was much more effective than our that night (excluding Ash's free kicking ability!)

27. Pink Panther

He wore no7 in all three matches last season and was the player who had the double chance in the first half when Tangara made a brilliant save.

I thought they looked effective in terms of negating our approach play in the middle third, but they didn't actually create many chances against our sound defence .

28. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

From Ricky Hayles:

Attached Files:

29. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Eeek

30. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Member

That is really not nice

Moroccan Sunset likes this.