Dulwich Hamlet Transfers - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, May 11, 2018.

1. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Getting rid of players in when you're bringing a load in is fairly standard I believe.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a cost cutting exercise, it's all performance related

3. Effra Eyes

Effra Eyes Well-Known Member

Though I understand the logic of getting rid of Ash, I'm still a bit gutted.

Cook is a funny one, only arrived in the summer and has plenty of experience at this level but hasn't had an impact at all..

4. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Your response doesn’t make sense... there’s surely more money coming into the club now?

Griff_Turnstile, Pink Panther and YTC like this.
  5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's easy to say that now, but I feel we'd have been a lot closer than 4 points behind Billericay at the end of the season but for his injury, we lost a lot of other established players in the summer and struggled to recruit the right replacements. If Gavin & Junior were satisfied that Tomlin had worked hard and regained fitness in pre-season I can see why they would keep him given his past service. The fact that he's never fully regained the vital level of match sharpness indicates that they took a gamble and lost, but that's life sometimes. Signing anynew player instead would also have been a gamble. (Walter Figueira?)

I'm surprised Ming and Cook are on that list as they're basically competing for one place.

However if players are under contract for the season they won't leave until someone makes the right offer. I doubt all 6 will be gone by the weekend, or even the end of the month, so some of them may still be needed and they can always be removed from the transfer list if it suits us.

Dulwich Mishi and Matt The Cab like this.
  6. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Of the 6, I would have kept Ming, has been our best player in a number of games this season especially storming down the right. Also Kargbo if he could stay fit as we are so much better with him in the side. However, even when he plays he looks like he is carrying an injury so I can understand this decision in the long run. We need more energy in midfield and Vose and Carew are quite similar with more technical ability than box to box play and of the 2, Vose has looked the better this season. Tomlin never again reached the highs of Whitehawk and Braintree due to injury. Cook has been a bit disappointing but could clearly do a job in this division

7. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Never happened in my calendar compiling days... Disgraceful.

Effra Eyes likes this.
  8. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Yes, possibly we would have but he hasn't been anywhere near the level he was in his first season for a long time. If we're gambling on players, particularly ones with a history of injuries, then perhaps we shouldn't be so easy to give out 1 year contracts? A pay-as-you-play deal would have been more appropriate in Tomlin's case and perhaps others too. It might leave us open to approaches from other clubs for our players, but that's preferable to paying someone good money for the rest of the season when they're surplus to requirements.

9. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Carew has given me some of my favourite moments in the few years I've been supporting the club - will be very sorry to see him go (but understand the decision as his impact this season had been fairly limited). Kargbo's also a player I've loved watching play for us over the last few years.

Ming's maybe a bit of a surprise but even after his strong performances this season he's not been regularly selected to start, so I think the writing was on the wall there. Cook I thought looked really promising but I've struggled to see what his actual role is in the team.

Really hope the new players are going to be an improvement and will settle in quickly, as rebuilding the team at this point of the season seems like a bit of a gamble to me.

Ronco and iamwithnail like this.
  10. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

None of the players listed have gone, we don't have to hold a wake for them yet.

YTC and Pink Panther like this.
  11. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Good to hear it from the horses mouth though would have expected a more polite answer from a director & employee of the club.

GregDHFC likes this.
  12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Why don't you a. Go Stick it with with your rumour mongering. And b. Go read a dictionary about what polite means.

Because you talking utter SHIT doesn't help anyone and nonsense was a polite way of describing it.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  13. Pink Panther

That is polite compared to many previous Hamlet directors!

pompeydunc and B.I.G like this.
  14. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

Truthful & honest over polite thanks Griff!!!

B.I.G likes this.
  15. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

In honour of the season: “Oh yes it did!”

16. Pink Panther

Yeah, no one wants a load of "awfully nice" Sergeant Wilson waffle. Tell it like it is!

17. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I HATE SEBASTIAN COE

Effra Eyes and scousedom like this.
  18. Pink Panther

THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!

19. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, there’s a lot that never happened in your calendar compiling days. Fixtures printed on the relevant dates for one. Religious festival photo tie-ins for another. ;)

I knew I should have stuck to my original idea of Dipo on every month...

20. Pink Panther

Ashley Carew on every month would have looked a safe bet on New Year's Eve.

Jules P likes this.
  21. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

You would have probably sold 80 to Dipo then, rather than 8. Good sales tactic...

You clearly had persuasive powers on including the fixtures...

I've just seen April, now that is very clever. Although if Moroccan Sunset had his way, then Clunis would be listed as well! He requested September in the past, as that's his birthday month.

22. Pink Panther

If Moroccan Sunset had his way every month would be redundant!

pompeydunc likes this.
  23. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I'd be fine: my calendar would alternate between glowing, rose-tinted pictures of Sekajja and Moss taking shots...

Actually, Cyclodunc, could you get me a quote for that?

Pink Panther likes this.
  24. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

All six are DH players for the time being. GR has added to an already quite big squad and some players have to make way. Then the question remains...who?

Gavin Tomlin Is no surprise. He has been one of most versatile strikers at the club and a pleasure to watch over the last few seasons but Time has taken its toll, injuries have slowed him down and he cannot get himself into dangerous positions at this level. Tomlin still has a lot of qualities and would do more good at a club a league or two below where he used to make defenders look absolutely ridiculous.

Cook has been disappointing this season. He was our marquee signing in the summer and looked the part in our first few league games. But his performances filtered of, he doesn’t appear to be playing with the same intensity nor effort as when he first arrived. He has done a great job when asked to play as a Wing Back (Eastbourne) but has not produced enough when given the chance to play in his more favoured positions.

I don’t want Sanchez to go. Sanchez plays with his heart on his sleeve and his performances this season have definitely deserved more starts. He rallies the troops and gives it his all. He’s looked the most accomplished Wing Back/Left Back and if he and Cook depart their won’t be a lot of options on the Right. Sanchez deserves a testimonial and guard of honour.

Carew and Kargbo. We need an upgrade on both if we want to be competitive in this league. Kargbo is 36. What he has been doing at this level when played is incredible but we need to look at replacing him/ adapting without him in the future. Carew’s reactions are too slow. Where Vose seems to find and extra few seconds on the ball Carew is often closed down. However, if we lost both players we would loose options in midfield and GR would have to replace one of them at least.

All in all if any move on I wish them the best of luck and hope they find a club with good fans, good beer and most importantly get themselves a good song!

Son of Roy likes this.
  25. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

You will have Jay May to look at this Valentines Day! ;)
    Sorry I spoiled it for you by pairing him with Tomlin...

Pink Panther likes this.
  26. Moroccan Sunset

Erm... Confession: I didn't actually buy one this year. It was a close call between the lads and Kelly Brook but the latter won out.

C'mon guys. Don't judge me. C'mon. I'm sorry. Look, we'd just conceded a late equaliser to Gloucester, it was a low point and Kelly just seemed like a comforting option - she couldn't lose to Hemel Hempstead could she? Christ, I hope none of the management team read this forum any more. They'll be even more disappointed in me than they almost certainly are already.

scousedom likes this.
  27. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

28. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Has Jay May actually left? Can't remember reading that anywhere.

29. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

“Would you mind awfully, just falling in please?”

Pink Panther and Matt The Cab like this.
  30. Moroccan Sunset

Definitely gone but haven't heard it officially announced.

YTC likes this.