Dulwich Hamlet: Transfer News for 2016/17 Season

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Lucy Fur, May 9, 2016.

1. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Danny Waldrens the first to go in what will probably be a busy old summer. Not surprising really but a real shame.

2. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Pink Panther, editor and Spikey mikey like this.
  3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Welling?

4. Lucy Fur

Don't know yet, he's just said he and the club have parted company.

5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Clearly a great bloke and that's a very magnanimous statement from him.

6. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

A shame we have lost a very good player there and one of a few who always gave a 100%

He will obviously end up at a higher level than what we are.

7. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

"Welling?"

Yes, but managing so far to hold back the tears

vornstyle76, Cyclodunc, Nivag and 4 others like this.
  8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

He is likely to go to welling. Goldberg owns the club now I think.

9. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Goldberg certainly manages Welling now, and said at the time he was looking to take the club over.

10. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Not at all surprised, but disappointed to see him go as I felt he was a terrific captain with a great attitude.

I think that his attitude towards the end of the season was particularly impressive - a lot of players in his situation would have gone in a huff and done the bare minimum until the end of the season, but he seemed to remain very eager to be involved and help the other players.

11. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

On and off the pitch he was class. Definitely a player I'd like to think told Gavin he was leaving and not the other way round.

12. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

To bring in and hold on to the "quality" players they would have been put under contract so im sure it will be Gavin saying thank you and goodbye!

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  13. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Who knew that myself and the G Man would be playing in Waldren's last ever game in a Dulwich shirt...

14. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard he was booted.

Totally agree with everything above: lovely bloke and one of the most professional players I've seen in football, let alone for Dulwich. It's a travesty that we never got the best out of him: he always seemed shackled and played out of position in our midfield and as a result we've lost a midfielder who played a vital part in a side that won the division above. He arrived a goalscoring, box-to-box engine and we deployed him as a guard dog type midfielder from day one. Such a bloody waste of a great player and a fantastic character.

Agree with Lucy Fur. I expect Moss, RMW and Sankofa to follow fairly soon, and Nelson, Scannell and Erskine must be sailing fairly close to the wind, too. Still think letting Moss go is equally as disastrous as letting Waldren go, but it feels inevitable. There's a couple of other regulars in the first team who are supposedly on Gav's bin list, but I don't want to name them on here, so I think this is going to be a tumultuous summer for all concerned.

I hear on the grapevine that a few of the younger players will get bumped up to first team duties next season, after numerous ex-pros on hefty wages failed to step up to the plate, so maybe Mascoll, Cani and Mason will get a go in pre-season.

15. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

More importantly, with all these personnel changes it looks like it is going to be another busy pre-season of song-writing for the Rabble.

YTC, Spikey mikey and pompeydunc like this.
  16. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

And another season of players settling in.

vornstyle76, Cyclodunc and Joe K like this.
  17. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Don't non-league teams pretty much all have a load of new players every single season? Even at lower league levels most players are on one year contracts these days and player turnover is pretty high. The idea that you have a stable team and add 2-3 players seems to be one for Premiership teams really. Certainly it applies to all the teams that finished above us this year so it's not a barrier to success at this level (or an excuse when you fail).

18. Lucy Fur

Except East Thurrock brought in three players and lost 6, two of which were amongst the transfer in's (i.e. on loan for a season) Compare this with Dulwich who had 9 coming in and 12 leaving.
    Info from here:
    East Thurrock United - Transfers 15/16 | Transfermarkt
    Dulwich Hamlet FC - Transfers 15/16 | Transfermarkt

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Fair point. Although I notice you've picked Thurrock rather than the top two:
    Hampton & Richmond Borough - Transfers 15/16 | Transfermarkt
    Bognor Regis Town FC - Transfers 15/16 | Transfermarkt

20. Lucy Fur

Its definitively true that a lot, probably even most clubs operate with a lot of movement, but it doesn't have to be so. East Thurrock being a good example of that. And the idea of a stable team, and the benefits that potentially brings is something I'd definitively like to see. There was too much tinkering this season, and too much playing players out of position.

Moroccan Sunset and jnrknight like this.
  21. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

That's quite an interesting site I've never seen before. I noticed that two of the ETU outgoings were also loanees on the incoming list.

22. Spikey mikey

Spikey mikey New Member

What a top man, a departing player giving a nice statement like that, lot of players move on and not even a cherio. Let's hope u get an incoming player that's also hungry for the game and helps your beautiful Dulwich Hamlet FC to promotion next season. Just as I finish this reply on comes Enter The Sandman from Metallica on the radio, volume gotta be turned up lol.

vornstyle76, SDE, Fingers and 3 others like this.
  23. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Yes absolutely. He played in the fans v club game on Saturday, when I'm sure he'd known he was off and I think a lot of players would have just refused to take part, and was still really enthusiastic, chatting to people etc. Whatever the situation with him as a player I think everyone would agree he's a top bloke.

SDE and Spikey mikey like this.
  24. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

Oh great.

AndyDHFC, Jamie Wyatt and Scutta like this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

He was certainly a lot more appreciative and generous to the fans than one person at the club I could think of.

26. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

When was the last time 'they' was seen acknowledging fans after a game?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Lucy Fur likes this.
  27. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  28. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Which would also have happened if Gavin had got the tin-tack, as you have suggested in the past!

29. Lucy Fur

Not necessarily.

30. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

Rather than making up songs in July about all the goals a new signing hasn't scored yet maybe we can just force the next box-to-box midfielder to live above an ancient pagan burial site.

Cyclodunc, darryl, StephenMac and 2 others like this.