1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by B.I.G, Sep 8, 2016.

1. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

The international brigades weren't communist?

2. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

There were non-communist volunteers also.

Scutta likes this.
  3. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Thimble Queen

Hey sleaterkinney I think you missed my reply to your post. If you could answer that would be great :)

5. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I am busy at work - I don't think anyone is going to pay attention to me on the trust board - certainly the response from Fingers suggests that don't see any problem, I did my best to make my point.

I have resigned from the trust because its unacceptable to me that no one has questioned it or put forward an alternative point of view.

Its not whether anti-fascism is a good thing or not, or whether we should support it or not.

I believe that commemorating the battle of cable street or the Spanish Civil War is not about our local community but people pushing their personal political views to be adopted by the club. I am against that and that is why I have chosen to no longer participate. If I had stayed a member no one would have listened to me, and certainly if I had been elected to the board Fingers would not have considered any other viewpoint but his own, he possesses the moral superiority of the man that lives in a bubble fighting against those on the other side.

6. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

I consider everyone's viewpoint and I happen not to agree with yours. Now this has turned into a personal attack on me and the work I do for the Trust I will bow out of this thread.

Scutta likes this.
  7. Scutta

Its a shame that's how you have perceived the situation, but you haven't gone down the other routes which you could have made a difference or a challenge.And just said well it wouldnt work anyway with no real evidence. Theres a lot on the board i disagreed with in my time on it but the only way to challenge was be involved.

"he possesses the moral superiority of the man that lives in a bubble fighting against those on the other side" this is very apt but maybe not for Fingers

this day is pretty consistent with lots of the other work we have done, which is all political, it can't not be, whether you refuse to acknowledge it or not. we wouldnt need to do foodbanks etc for the local community if it wasnt for the political climate.... the rise in hate at the moment has increased so why not support charities such as hope not hate who have been a sponsor in the past. I can only assume you are upset with how explicit it sounds?

i think its been explained why it is still community focused just like why the refugee work was or wasn't, we can still reach out beyond the tuscan hills to make a difference...

I hope you reconsider your refusal to get involved because the only way broader views can be heard is to be involved, and i would think you would be a great candidate to be able to represent another that other view. Although i completely disagree with you on what the issues are here or why this is different to anything else to be so upset about, i would vote for you X As long as you promise a dog day and a rum day.

Lucy Fur, Thimble Queen and Fingers like this.
  8. sleaterkinney

There is plenty wrong with it, have the past 20 odd years passed you by?

I was outlining my objections to it, I'm thinking of leaving the trust myself.

YTC and B.I.G like this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

That really is not a personal attack, its an opinion on how much I think you consider other people's opinions. I know of you, I know you aren't the type of person to consider other people's opinions, and certainly not those of people that disagree with you.

10. Scutta

A political act

Lucy Fur and Thimble Queen like this.
  11. Scutta

DO you know who Fingers is?

he is completely the opposite to the person you describe

Fingers likes this.
  12. sleaterkinney

Leaving something because I disagree with its politics is a political act, yeah.

YTC likes this.
  13. Thimble Queen

Your going to have to be a bit more specific. I'm not a mind reader. And what does more recent events in history have to do with the Spanish Civil War?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. Scutta

so you want to leave the trust because they are supporting our sponsors on day celebrating the sacrifice of people fighting fascism and discrimination. And trade unions who look out for the rights of workers, who many of our supporters may be affiliated to?

shall we stop all anti racist stuff, take down the anti homophobia banners and the kick it out banners, all food banks etc? just in case?

Or is it because you believe the club should be a political? which in itself is very political esp with the type of sponsorship we have attracted....

i mean you cant have it both ways?

Thimble Queen likes this.
  15. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, i'm your friendly membership engagement lead for the DHST board (elected July).

Can I take this chance to aggregate/look at some of the ideas which have been put forward? beyond the event in question....

There may be something which the trust can take away from this.

1) publishing the agenda for board meetings

this is possible, but i have some concerns that it's not currently practical. This is because doubles the work of the secretary. Our meetings are monthly and currently the secretary has to create and circulate agenda, which has to be agreed. This process takes a week or so. Then following the meeting they have to write up the minutes which also have to be agreed by the board and then published, another week or so. As pointed out by a previous poster the minutes are already published in a very timely fashion on the website (in fact its an objective that this is done so- in line with our desire to be open). I think given that nothing moves *that* quickly this provides a mechanism for that.

Can anyone specifically think of a scenario where publishing agenda minutes is the only way forward?

it occurs to me this might end up in the slightly odd situation where the trust board can't discuss things or put forward ideas which occur to them during the meeting and have to wait until the next month...

2) that the trust (does/doesn't) represent/ (is/isn't) representative of the views (inc. political) of its membership

It's a pure truism that the trust has to represent it's members. I supported the IBMT day and to be quite honest was slightly blindsided by the objections to it, especially due to my *perceived* notions regarding the culture of the club.

As engagement lead i'm interested in exploring how we ascertain what peoples views are, generally, with a view to increasing number of members of the trust and their enjoyment of the ENTIRE spectrum of what it means to be a hamlet fan. Currently, the methods we use to gauge what our members/non-member dhfc supporters want regarding community work are, as I understand, things like:

1) talking to our mates who are members
    2) looking at what people have said about events on here*
    3) looking at the relative successes or previous events (as determined by gates, media coverage etc.)
    4) feedback received via info@dhst
    5) plus an understandable element of our own beliefs regarding what we think, we need to do

If DHST need to be more proactive in chasing down and identifying what people want, what's the best way of achieving this:

surveys at games? social media? - there are inherent problems with sampling in both of these instances. Is there a danger that by endlessly focus grouping ideas that we aren't able to do anything radical

3) non-league dog day

yes

16. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

B.I.G , it's primarily being billed as a Trade Union day, and as such all those carrying Trade Union cards get in for £4. That directly benefits the local community who fit that criteria.

17. sleaterkinney

I have no problem with having a Union day or anti fascism or anti racism, and to me people on both the left or right can support those. I object to us raising money for the International brigades because that is a communist orgainisation.

AndyDHFC and tonysingh like this.
  18. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Omg point 3.

pompeydunc, YTC, Scutta and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

But it's not though, its raising money for the International Brigade Memorial Trust. From the website:
    The International Brigade Memorial Trust was set up to remember all those who lost their lives fighting fascism in Spain. One of those volunteers all those years ago was the well-known Trade Union leader Jack Jones, who lived on Champion Hill in his retirement for many years.
    You sound as if its raising money to support a communist regime, and it simply isn't the case.

20. Thimble Queen

What Lucy Fur said.

Have you consider revoking your trust membership due to poppys being sold at the ground?

Scutta, Pickman's model and Lucy Fur like this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

newsflash: the spanish civil war ended in 1939

Thimble Queen, scousedom and Scutta like this.
  22. sleaterkinney

Still, they went to fight for a communist orgainisation.

What has this got to do with Dulwich anyway?.

23. Scutta

Winston churchill liked the Nazi's and supported genocide in india and africa!!!!

oh shit that was an argument a few weeks a go...

Cyclodunc and Thimble Queen like this.
  24. Scutta

champion hill is the stadium where Dulwich play

Pickman's model likes this.
  25. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Indeed. And despite the complexities and the various factions, the initial cause of the war was to defend a fairly moderate liberal republican government, not to impose communism.

Scutta and all to nah like this.
  26. sleaterkinney

If I thought remembrance day was a purely right wing thing I would.

27. Pickman's model

no, it wouldn't.

what you do is have your normal agenda:

1) apologies
    2) minutes of the last meeting
    3) matters arising
    4) special days
    5) team selection
    6) date of next meeting
    7) aob

aob - any other business - is the catch-all for topics, ideas and announcements which are either comparatively trivial, are purely for information or have occurred to people too late to make it onto the agenda.

Lyham likes this.
  28. all to nah

all to nah Well-Known Member

And their had been many volunteers, who decided to NOT fight with the International Brigades. A famous example from your country is George Orwell, who joined the POUM (and got serious problems with communists in Spain later) - some Anarchists joined the CNT, as well.

Though I do understand that there's a different tradition in English football, I appreciate the day:

* as a history teacher, who is aware of the current atmosphere in Europe
    * as a resident of a house, that is one of the few in my neighborhood, that weren't destroyed by german or Italian fascists bombers in the Spanish Civil War
    * as a football supporter from a country, where football always has been political
    * as a member of a trade union

I had booked my flights to watch the football match long before this day was announced, but I'm looking forward to be part of it. So do my friends, who will be over to watch the Hamlet, again.

P.S.: Hope to see you in Enfield, B.I.G.

Ronco, Champion_hill, Scutta and 4 others like this.
  29. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I thoroughly oppose non-League Dog Day if the dogs are all these new posho cross breeds like Cockapoos and Pomskys and Labradoodles.

I think non-League dog day should be about the dogs that have always been in the area, like mongrels and Staffs and bitey little Jack Russells.

AndyDHFC and Scutta like this.
  30. Pickman's model

nice switch.

there is of course a difference between raising funds for the royal british legion and the commemoration of war dead on remembrance sunday. the one culminates in the other but is not identical.

Scutta and Thimble Queen like this.