Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust News

pompeydunc

Greater London Assembly committee chair praises Champion Hill as a great community asset
http://dhst.org.uk/glapraiseschampionhill/

1. Supportive words on Champion Hill from Chair of GLA committee looking into value of stadium regeneration for the local area subsequent to Trust submission.

2. It'd be great if all fans could take 10 minutes to take Talk London survey to reiterate points in Trust submission. Link in article.

Hamlet Pete

Greater London Assembly committee chair praises Champion Hill as a great community asset
http://dhst.org.uk/glapraiseschampionhill/

1. Supportive words on Champion Hill from Chair of GLA committee looking into value of stadium regeneration for the local area subsequent to Trust submission.

2. It'd be great if all fans could take 10 minutes to take Talk London survey to reiterate points in Trust submission. Link in article.
Done

cambelt

Consultation was fairly underwhelming. Didn't particularly like the councils plans for redeveloping Greendale which is effectively to turn it into a nice picnic space for mums whose husbands work at Canary Wharf. Lots of vocal support about the future of Dulwich Hamlet which was encouraging. Less encouraging was the fact that the council seem to think that our situation can be resolved just by denying planning permission to Hadley.

Christian Burt

Suddenly had a vision of the Rabble being an undead army in Lord of the Rings style, whistling through the winds whilst Yummy Mummies chat about the latest Yoga craze.
It's 2019 and our banners are held aloft but we are not seen, only the dogs that are walked through Greendales can sense our presence.

blueheaven

Surprised there hasn't been much comment on the council consultation - I went along early afternoon on Saturday and it was fairly quiet. There were a couple of people from the council present but I have to say they didn't seem particularly clued up on the details of what was happening and were even telling people a few conflicting things. One of them seemed to be telling people that the football club is staying where it is and that, because of this, there's no need for the council to make provision for a new stadium in its plans for the area. The lady who was there (sorry, I didn't get her name or title) seemed genuinely keen to hear views from various people and was taking a lot of notes, which seemed encouraging initially - but she was also making it very clear that the area of land set aside for football on Greendale is only big enough for a public playing area, and is definitely not big enough for a stadium. When I asked her what plans there are to co-operate with Hadley on finding a solution to this problem, I got the impression that it was her view that there was no chance of this happening.

There were also people there giving their opinions on the various park/nature provisions that are being planned, which is obviously fine, but I said that in my view, as a local resident, there is a LOT of public park space in the area when you take into account Peckham Rye Park, Burgess Park, Dulwich Park, St Frances Park, Goose Green (and others I've probably missed off). However, there is only one football club and it's my view that the importance of supporting that club in securing its long-term future should be the main priority.

There appears to have been no proper research done by the council into whether or not a football stadium is viable in the space available. The council people there said their brief had been to come up with a design for the area that includes a public football facility (i.e. pitches, but no stadium or other necessary infrastructure) and that is it. They also seemed to be unaware of the number of people who go to Dulwich Hamlet matches, and also the important fact that attendances are rising significantly and this is something that would need to be accommodated for.

Have to say I found it pretty disheartening. But one thing I was told was that as many people as possible need to put their views in writing and make sure the council are aware of them. So I've done that. Whether it'll be enough, I'm not convinced.

Dulwich Mishi

Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!
R.I.P.
Sounds like it's not a consultation, but a sham! It would seem that we, as fans, need to get more organised a vocal. As far as I am concernedthe ONLY way forward for our Club-indeed for it to have a sustainable future-is for the new ground development on Greendale to go through.
The 'option' of us staying put isjust NOT sustainable financially, and will lead to the death of the Club, as we would drop back down, maybe even to county league level, in a poorly built groun that would haemourage money...if it still had a Football Club on it!

For, although Champion Hill as it stands, should be used for sporting purposes, there's nothing to stop any owners to simply mothball the site, or convert it to other sporting use, like Aylesbury United or Baldock Town for example, or simply bide their time, let the place become derelict and vandalised, making housing, or some other development inevitable.

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
Well if that's what they are suggesting...it certainly WON'T be whatthe Hadley planning application will include. And we should not be swayed by Southwark Council sham consultations, but by what is best for Dulwich Hamlet AND the local community, and THAT IS a new stadium on Greendale, in tandem with housing on our current site. No more...no less!

For any Dulwich Hamlet fans to be 'swayed' by 'suggestions' from various Council departments is a nonsense.

Christian Burt

If I was a property developer, I'd be looking at that lovely new Southwark Council Pond Area and Improved Sports Pitch et al, and be thinking "right, now to build homes on the football pitch and it's a right little Gentrified Utopia".

blueheaven

It would seem that we, as fans, need to get more organised a vocal.
This actually seemed to be the council employee's view as well - she seemed to be saying that, if a new stadium is to have any chance, there needs to be a serious vocal campaign from an organised group of people who are going to make sure everyone is aware of the issue. I have no experience of being involved in any such campaign or pressure group, but in my opinion it feels like the wheels are now in motion for these plans to go ahead without any provision being made for the football club, and what DHFC really needs quite urgently is for a body like the Football Trust to become involved.

The picture I was given on Saturday is that Greendale is Metropolitan Open Land (MOL) and no development is allowed on this. I asked what actually constitutes a "development", and was told that football pitches are allowed, but a football stadium is not. I also asked if these rules are set in stone or whether there is any precedent of "development" going ahead on MOL. I was told that it does happen but it's very rare, and would only ever happen if there's a significant campaign and significant move of public opinion demanding for it to happen. So that appeared to be Problem Number 1.

Problem Number 2 seems to be that, even if the Council decide to green-light the building of a stadium on MOL (which seems to be a long way from the front of their minds), the space that the stadium would need to be built on is not big enough. It's barely big enough for a full-size pitch, let alone a stadium. On one side is the boundary of Hadley's property, and on the other side is the boundary of another private property (not sure what this is or who owns it, but it can be seen on the plans). So unless some co-operation can happen between the council and one/both of these private landowners, the stadium can't happen.

Apologies if any of the above is inaccurate, but this is all the impression I was given on Saturday, after attending the consultation with limited prior knowledge of the ins and outs of the situation. Not being an expert on the local area, one question I have is - is there any alternative site in or around Dulwich that could be used for a stadium? Because to me it feels like there may well need to be a Plan B for the club.

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
No, there is NO alternative site, unless you want to drop three to four levels, and play in the Kent County League, at a local non-floodlit, simply roped or railed off pitch venue.

Al Crane

Problem Number 2 seems to be that, even if the Council decide to green-light the building of a stadium on MOL (which seems to be a long way from the front of their minds), the space that the stadium would need to be built on is not big enough. It's barely big enough for a full-size pitch, let alone a stadium. On one side is the boundary of Hadley's property, and on the other side is the boundary of another private property (not sure what this is or who owns it, but it can be seen on the plans). So unless some co-operation can happen between the council and one/both of these private landowners, the stadium can't happen.
This was one of my first comments when seeing the proposals and at the time it related specifically to future expansion but having seen these more detailed proposals I don't think there's anyway you would fit a stadium the size of the current ground in there without some serious compromises.

I'm very worried :(

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
If I was a property developer, I'd be looking at that lovely new Southwark Council Pond Area and Improved Sports Pitch et al, and be thinking "right, now to build homes on the football pitch and it's a right little Gentrified Utopia".
Property developers would simply NOT be allowed to build housing on Metropolitan Open Land.

Dulwich Mishi

R.I.P.
This was one of my first comments when seeing the proposals and at the time it related specifically to future expansion but having seen these more detailed proposals I don't think there's anyway you would fit a stadium the size of the current ground in there without some serious compromises.

I'm very worried :(
But the main side of the new ground would be OUTSIDE the Metropolitan Open Land, being built on the Greendale end, about where the terracing is, on our current site. So not all of the new ground would be on Metropolitan Open Land.