Dulwich Hamlet in the National League South - what trips are you looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by editor, May 7, 2018.

1. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Bloody provincials.

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Hates Meadow Residential

BIG is a hipster and a legend.
    I like the sound of 'Torquay's Stone Island Crew'. I bet they can't wait to meet our 'Toilets Opposite crew'!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Jimbob73, clog, Taper and 1 other person like this.
  3. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

Blimey, if that forum is representative of the sort of fans we can expect to meet next year then I’d rather have ended up in the Serbian seventh division

editor, darryl and clog like this.
  4. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Promotion Roundabout > Stone Island

5. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Some of their cricket supporters are right up there with Somerset and Essex as the most objectionable on the circuit. “Glaaarster, Glaaarster!”

Pink Panther likes this.
  6. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Hates Meadow Residential

I should say these quotes are from 2 or 3 individuals. It's just banter.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

“Banter” is the thing I’m least looking forward to about National League South tbh.

8. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

It's part and parcel of going to football. You should be more concerned with the hooligan elements in the lower leagues. Punch ups every week and not enough old bill to cope with it.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The 'bantz' from higher leagues seems to mainly involve telling one set of fans telling the opposition how shit they are. What LolZ. :facepalm:

darryl, Pink Panther and clog like this.
  10. clog

I’ve followed lower league football for quite some years and never personally come across hooliganism.

11. clog

And also, sorry, no I’m not accepting crap as “banter” as part and parcel of going to football. There’s no reason why it should be. That’s just a cop out for not addressing things. The tits and fanny song is part and parcel of going to football for many but that doesn’t mean it isn’t sexist rubbish that shouldn’t be challenged!

12. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

"Banter" is a mutually acceptable exchange involving a degree of wit and humour. Idiots swearing and hurling crass abuse at opposition supporters, whether on a matchday or online forums, in an effort to intimidate those they perceive as weaker than themselves and drive them away, does not constitute "banter". I'm not especially "offended" by the latter myself, and I'm certainly not going to be intimidated by it, and it may well be "part and parcel" of attending a match at certain clubs and if those clubs choose to tolerate it that's largely a matter for their own conscience; but let's not confuse "banter" with being an obnoxious wanker.

13. Pink Panther

You might not like the look of them!

[​IMG]

This widely cirulated photo was taken at Bath City when Torquay visited for an FA Cup tie some years ago. Hopefully it's not representative or typical!

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

1972 called and wants the guy in the top right back.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Away at Maidstone was the nearest I came to that idiocy when some pumped-up buffoon shouted in the faces of Hamlet fans in 'their' end along with some other macho nonsense, and then there was a mini version at Billericay where some of their glory-hungry nu-fans were unable to come to terms with their unexpected defeat by the mighty Hamlet.

16. sealion

How do you get hundreds of people to stop singing on a terrace ? It's not a cop out from me, i just can't see how you stop it. People at football get pissed and sing daft songs and do stuff they wouldn't normally even contemplate doing elsewhere. I have seen perfectly placid people turn into a ball of rage when in a group at football. What do you suggest happens in trying and stamp it out ?

17. sealion

It's happening and has been for years. Less risk of getting caught is a major pull for these small groups.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What club(s) are you talking about here?

19. sealion

I have travelled up and down the country to watch games . No matter what football or premier league club it was, it always happened. I went to Sutton, it happened, I went to Harrow and Wealdstone, it happened. Slough,Dagenham, Staines it happened.

20. clog

Dulwich don’t sing that stuff so it must be possible. It gets stamped out when individuals tackle other individuals they hear doing it. By calling it out as it happens and also by letting their mates know it isn’t acceptable and by not joining in.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It doesn't happen at Dulwich neither does it happen at just about every single non-league game I've visited to see them play. In fact, I could type out a very long list of the clubs I've visited where the opposing fans haven't chanted 'BantZ' abuse at us.

22. sealion

Conference and non league. Dartford, Nuneaton, Chester, Telford, Bromley, and plenty more. Not big numbers but still have an active mob

23. Pink Panther

I know it happens at some clubs, my main point is that it is NOT "banter". I wish people would just call it what it is, i.e. abuse, instead of "banter", which implies something that people should just accept as a bit of a joke whether they like it or not.

Monkeygrinder's Organ and editor like this.
  24. sealion

I hope you are right.
    I've seen what you describe and it turned into a massive punch up.

25. sealion

I am talking about football violence in respone to pink Panther and not bantz.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never seen anything close to what you are describing in the past 200 or so games I've watched Dulwich Hamlet.

27. sealion

I didn't say it was
    It is and i hate the word banter.
    I agree, it's like someone saying ' i'm only taking the piss' it's always alright until it happens to them.

28. sealion

Well it happens. I don't expect it to happen with Hamlet, you don't have an element up for that, so it would be pointless for certain other clubs hoolies to turn up expecting or looking for it. I went to a few Whitehawk games and there was a few bits flare up, Wealdstone was one of them i think, about 20 a side fighting on the road. Crawley have a mob that went long before they joined the football league.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then understand that it's not always inevitable and some kind of intrinsic part of the non-league football experience.

Pink Panther likes this.
  30. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Well as far as the 'Tits and Fanny' song goes the answer was to have a better, more Dulwich specific one to sing over the top. I don't know if anyone is still trying to stick to the old version tbh because you can't hear them if they are - I expect not though because people are going to want to sing what others are.

I kind of agree with some of what you're saying though. There are places and crowds where calling someone out works and others where it doesn't. I might do it at Dulwich but if I'm honest I wouldn't at Lincoln because I might get a smack, or at least a pretty hostile response. Actually I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it there, but despite that it's very rare to hear anything racist, for example, these days where it used to be quite common, because it's not really seen as acceptable now. Football crowds are a strange mixture of group and individual behaviours in my view. Someone shouting something offensive might be acting alone but they're looking for support from around them. If they don't get it they'll change their behaviour - it's slower and more subtle maybe than call them out and they'll stop but it does happen.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Pink Panther, editor and sealion like this.