1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulwich Hamlet 2016/17 season - your highs and lows

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Noss, May 1, 2017.

1. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

I'm on the way home, as are most of you, a bit pissed and disappointed but thought I'd reflect on a great season. Apologies for the 'Shoot' questionnaire style but here goes. Feel free to add categories or tell me I'm a twat.

Best match: Whitehawk away. That second half. And the three hours after. Gavin smiled.

Worst match: Harrow home. Thought we'd finish 9th after that.

Best clubhouse: Pagham or Winchester.

Worst clubhouse: Lowestoft.

Best pub: Orange Tree at Braintree, or that one at Leatherhead. And the one with Bar Billiards at Burgess Hill.

Worst pub: The Phoenix, Denmark Hill.

Recurring nightmare: Southern Railways. New ways of not going directly from A to B, every fucking time

Best fans (other than us): Macclesfield. Didn't go away but they were great at CH

Worst fans: Kingstonian, obviously

FFS moment: Game off at Billericay

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': Glen Tamplin

I'm going to sleep now

2. clog

clog have that you c

I like this thread, even if no one else does... Had a bit of time to think about mine, so here goes.

Best match: Macclesfield at home. To come back from 2-0 to draw 2-2 was amazing and it was a superb day right up until the moment my son got so upset about the result he had a complete sobbing meltdown and we had to go home. That was a long old 185 journey.

Worst match: Some of the early season ones were pretty bad, but my memories of the Norwich pre-season are the worst.

Best clubhouse: Bognor, although not a lot to choose from, most are rubbish.

Worst clubhouse: Ours at 2:55pm.

Best pub: got to be the Tonbridge Spoons. (edit to add, thanks darryl , how could I have forgotten the pubs in Macc, all 4 of the ones we went in were great. If I had to choose one it would be the Snow Goose)

Worst pub: Fox on the Hill by a country mile.

Recurring nightmare: Gifting teams a one or two goal lead then frantically trying to scrabble back. Happened too often this season.

Best fans (other than us): Macclesfield. Obvs.

Worst fans: The melts that always seem to stand next to us at home games waffling on about how Crystal Palace is a nice village and the size of the deposit mummy and daddy are lending them. Oh, you mean worst away fans? I don't think I went to enough away games this year to choose. :(

FFS moment: Conceding two stupid goals yesterday has to be up there.

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': TBD

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    réaliste, Noss and darryl like this.
  3. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Best match: Macclesfield at home and that Ash goal!.

Worst match: Half time onwards vs Cray Valley PM away in the London cup semi

Best clubhouse: Beckenham Town - friendly and you could get served nice and quick

Worst clubhouse: Canvey Island

Best pub: The Waverley at Bognor yesterday - top notch fish and chips

Worst pub: ?!

Recurring nightmare: Queuing for a pint in the clubhouse

Best fans (other than us): Macclesfield

Worst fans: Leatherhead

FFS moment: Second Bognor goal yesterday

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': Casual racism at Bognor

4. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Best match: Whitehawk away. The comeback after going a goal down, Preston's save and the most drunk I've been at/after a Hamlet game.

Worst match: Canvey away

Best clubhouse: Winchester

Worst clubhouse: Kingstonian - soulless, horrible barn of a place

Best pub: The Orange Tree at Braintree - the Braintree clubhouse's loss was their gain. Honourable mention for Billericay Brewing Company.

Worst pub: The Hatters at Bognor - didn't go there yesterday but a dispiriting Spoons if ever there was one.

Recurring nightmare: Trying to get home from any away match using Southern and bloody engineering works anywhere.

Best fans: Macclesfield

Worst fans: Billericay fans "living the dream" who can't see what is inevitably going to happen sooner or later.

FFS moment: Billericay, hearing Scolly say "the bastards 'ave called it off" just as we walked into the pub.

Special Glenn Tamplin 'cunt of the year' award: Glenn Tamplin

Buffalo Bill, réaliste and darryl like this.
  5. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Canvey's clubhouse was brand new, pretty big and I had a nice pint of beer. Only good thing about that ground/day.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  6. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

This is heavily caveated by the fact I don't tend to do away-days.

Best match: Enfield play-off semi was electric.

Worst match: Billericay at home. I left before the first half ended. The whole Tamplin thing really got to me.

Best clubhouse: Ours at about 1:55 on match day

Worst clubhouse: Met Police.

Best pub: Brick Brewery tap house

Worst pub: I'm falling out of love with The Cherry Tree.

Recurring nightmare: My dogs bowels the day after match-day

Best fans (other than us): I had a long and pleasant discussion with a Lowestoft fan a month or so ago.

Worst fans: Bognor. Not yesterday so much. But some of their away-following are a grim bunch of bastards

FFS moment: Drage's brain fart yesterday.

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': Whoever runs Tamplin's Pie and Mash Stool.

7. Cyclodunc

Best match: Braintree at home. Great win, great goals, fun atmosphere.

Worst match: Harrow at home was sad times.

Best clubhouse: Don't often go in them with all my gear etc. but I like Enfield Town's.

Worst clubhouse: Merstham. No desire to ever go in there again.

Best pub: The Midland Hotel for Hendon. Next to the M1 so was initially skeptical, but it's a cracker! Really welcoming, good beer (CAMRA discount) and pork scratchings. Pool table is good and the garden was nice too.

Worst pub: Spoons at Wingate and Finchey. Depressing, terrible service. Left to rot.

Recurring nightmare: Wingers coming and going on a conveyor belt.

Best fans: none stand out.

Worst fans: Canvey Island, with their homophobia and gloating.

FFS moment: The first half of the season

Special Glenn Tamplin 'cunt of the year': Tampers

réaliste, darryl and Blitzwalker like this.
  8. Cyclodunc

Special mention to some pubs in Winchester that I thoroughly enjoyed

Blitzwalker likes this.
  9. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Best match: Macclesfield at home, Greenwich Borough away.

Worst match: Harrow at home.

Best clubhouse: Merstham (liked sitting out in the beer garden...) or Pagham.

Worst clubhouse: That barn at the new Hendon ground needs sorting out, and some stock that's in date.

Best pub: Snow Goose, Macclesfield; Treacle Tap, Macclesfield. Honourable mention for the Billericay Beer Company. (Update after seeing Cyclodunc - loved The Midland Hotel too.)

Recurring nightmare: The hopeless rail replacement bus on the way to Braintree.

Best fans (other than us): Macclesfield; most of Enfield Town's.

Worst fans: Have to agree with clog about some of the overprivileged dolts who move within our earshot at Champion Hill and then honk on forever. Canvey and Harlow had a higher-than-average ratio of fuckwits.

FFS moment: Billericay game off, nearly all of yesterday's match at Bognor.

réaliste, Blitzwalker and clog like this.
  10. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Best match: Havant & Waterlooville at home - comprehensively outplayed the champions on our patch.

Worst match: Harrow at home - worst I think I have seen the Hamlet play, and just 3 days after winning 6-1!

Best clubhouse: Burgess Hill - excellent and well kept ale.

Worst clubhouse: Braintree (of course). Denied entry initially due to health & safety ("it's full"). Waited for someone to come out, so I could go in. Entered and it was half empty. Beer was crap as well... Embarrassing to deny away fans service.

Best pub: Inglenook at Pagham. Good beer, great garden. Touch a parrot, touch a fish. [special mention for the Long Pond in Eltham, but it's a long walk/taxi to Greenwich Borough...so can't really count it]

Worst pub: any around Harrow Borough. [Worst beer was at Orange Tree in Braintree, but it was a good atmosphere].

Recurring nightmare: inability to buy beer without missing lots of the game at Saturday home games, so don't bother trying anymore. Our bar staff are great, and it's not their fault. It's a structural issue that needs addressing.

Best fans: Worthing were decent I seem to recall.

Worst fans: Bognor at our place - flag thieves...seriously?! They were decent (ones I met) yesterday...

FFS moment: Hendon away and Staines away.

Special Glenn Tamplin 'cunt of the year': Kevin Maclaren getting kicked out of Hendon for another brawl and joining Tooting.

11. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Best match (home): 5-2 replay win v Braintree, we played brilliantly that night and atmosphere was great, just the right lEvelyn if busy. Royston was feisty, thrashing Folkestone and Dipo's 4 goals in 10 mins v Barkingside was special too.

Best match (away): 2-0 v Billericay, so satisfying and very nearly didn't go after our thrashing 4 a days before. Also Whitehawk - my daughter's first away game, and Macclesfield was a great experience.

Worst match (home): 0-1 v Grays Athletic last week sucked pretty badly.

Worst match (away): Staines

Best clubhouse: Whitehawk
    Worst clubhouse: Braintree for reasons already mentioned

Best/worst pub: Orange Tree in Braintree , good fun, terrible beer (only 1.75 a pint to be fair). Cherry tree much improved this season I thought.

SGTCOTY: Glenn Tamplin

Bonus awards:
    Player I wish had stayed: Vas Karigiannis
    Best newcomer: Panutche Camara
    Most dependable player: Preston Edwards

12. YTC

YTC Human Man

Best match: Macclesfield at home. The whole day just had that cup feel in the air, the kids in the trees watching the game, everyone getting in early to help. Magic.

Worst match: For me probably the Tonbridge game where they beat us despite having 10 men, felt we'd thrown the season already.

Best clubhouse: AFC Sudbury, almost brand spanking new and really light and open.

Worst clubhouse: Braintree, fucking state of them.

Best pub: The Black Boy in Winchester (*assumes Clapton Tone* - 'THATS RACIST')

Worst pub: That Spoons in Royston.

Recurring nightmare: The Roman Michael Percil song.

Best fans: Worthing

Worst fans: Bognor at home/Harlow Away

FFS moment: Grays at home.

Special Glenn Tamplin 'cunt of the year': Jamie O'Hara punching a child.

réaliste and Blitzwalker like this.
  13. réaliste

réaliste Active Member

Best match: The home draw against Macclesfield was an incredible and unexpected achievement.

Worst match: The horrific 4-1 drubbing at home to Harrow Borough at the end of September. I was thinking of this match yesterday as there is no way I could have foreseen us coming so close to promotion after that performance. This group of players really started to gel post-Christmas and if we can resist making wholesale changes this summer we could be on the brink of something special.

Best clubhouse: Not the greatest selection of beer, but Bognor ran their bar very efficiently yesterday. My heart sank when I saw the queue but was served in no time.

Worst clubhouse: Nothing springs to mind. The queues at Wingate & Finchley on the last day of the season weren't fun (I know, we're fine ones to talk).

Best pub: I liked The Hope in Carshalton (preseason counts, right?) and as pompeydunc has already mentioned above, The Long Pond is definitely worth a trip out to Eltham.

Worst pub: The Station in Bognor (and I had such high hopes).

Recurring nightmare: The coach back from Macclesfield. *shudders*

Best fans (other than us): Worthing fans were very vocal at our place (despite being on the receiving end of a 4-1 spanking) and the few I spoke to after the game were great and very complimentary about the Hamlet.

Worst fans: There were a few knuckle draggers at Harlow that were as bad as the Brentwood supporters the previous season.

FFS moment: Second Bognor goal yesterday was a killer.

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt(s) of the year': The Bognor fans who attempted to steal the banner (although when you're own flags generally consist of little more than club initials tipp-exed onto a St. George's cross, I imagine it's difficult to appreciate the work that goes into creating a thing of such beauty).

Edit: It was one shitty flag and I had the arse about yesterday's result. In general, the Bognor fans I encountered after the match were very gracious and appeared to genuinely wish us well for next season.

clog, Blitzwalker and darryl like this.
  14. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Yes but it was full of people from Canvey Island ;)

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*Edited the title for clarity

16. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

I started high but ended up low :facepalm:

clog, YTC and Fingers like this.
  17. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Best match: Whitehawk away.

Worst match: Tonbridge

Best clubhouse: Winchester.

Worst clubhouse: Braintree.

Best pub: Orange Tree, Braintree.

Worst pub: Cherry Tree.

Recurring nightmare: The journey back from Wingate via Kings College Hospital

Best fans (other than us): Macclesfield

Worst fans: The idiot contingent of Bognor

FFS moment: Billericay

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': Glen Tamplin

clog likes this.
  18. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

Best match: 5-2 against Braintree. Magic night.

Worst match: Tonbridge at home. Special agents Nelson and Scannell gave us an own goal and a red card and we still lost.

Best clubhouse: Enfield Town

Worst clubhouse: Wingate & Finchley seemed to be struggling

Best pub: The Long Pond, Eltham (Greenwich Borough & Cray Valley Paper Mills away)

Worst pub: Anywhere with soul-destroying terrible banter about the colour pink from the regulars

Recurring nightmare: Soul-destroying terrible banter about the colour pink/anxiety making me miss away games or not enjoy them (tie)

Best fans (other than us): Enfield & Whitehawk (tie)

Worst fans: K's arch-hipsters

FFS moment: Clunas vs Grays fans drunken slanging match, East Dulwich station. No winners.

Special Glen Tamplin award of 'cunt of the year': nah

clog, réaliste, Noss and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cyclodunc

I'd add the FA cup final. Great game!

20. clog

clog have that you c

Championship Play Off Final FTW. Guess you had to be there.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

21. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

It was a great game, best team won. Chelsea were like Dulwich in the play off and didn't turn up.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  22. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

One of the worst televised games in recent history mind.

clog likes this.
  23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Except we played quite well apart from two defensive errors.

baleboy_93 likes this.
  24. EDC

Really?

B.I.G likes this.
  25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

We weren't at our best. But Bognor scored due to two defensive laps. One was a total gift.

I didnt think Bognor played that great. Its a shame we didnt go with a target man but after Enfield I understand why we kept the same team.

26. EDC

A bit more pressure on them wouldn't have gone amiss, especially after the goal.

27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

We couldn't get behind them, which given their defensive record was to be expected. Nyren could't skin their full back enough though he tried his very best.

Bognor have gone up. But I'm happy to have kept Gavin rather than lost a manager as Bognor did.

EDC likes this.
  28. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

Really?

EDC likes this.
  29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Is this banter or did you see the same thing posted up thread.

Bognor were as good a side as Havant. We knocked on their door for the first twenty minutes without getting in for chances.

How many goals did they concede at home?

I'm sorry we didn't batter them 3 0 but they are a good side. We gave it a good go and those 50 plus games seemed to take their toll as we lacked ideas as we pressured them in the last twenty as we left massive gaps at the back.

clog, baleboy_93 and blueheaven like this.
  30. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

68 games - not including friendlies of course.

B.I.G likes this.