Dulwich Hamlet 2-1 Thurrock, Saturday 14th April 2018

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

At last an afternoon game at our temporary home without being inconvenienced by rail engineering works. If you haven't managed to do any of the evening games, or the Worthing and abandoned Dorking games, this one should be easier.

Trains from Peckham Rye, East/North Dulwich; change at Tulse Hill for Mitcham Junction, then one stop on the tram to Mitcham, 5 minute walk to the ground. (Or if the Wimbledon train arrives first at Tulse Hill take that, then tram from Wimbledon to Mitcham.)

Direct Half hourly service from Elephant & Castle, Loughborough Junction, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction, then one stop on the tram to Mitcham, 5 minute walk to the ground.

Northern Line from Kennington, Oval Stockwell to Morden, then 118 bus from outside Morden Underground station to the ground. Buses every 11-14 mins, 6 mins journey time.

Buses 118 from Brixton via Streatham to the ground and 201 from Herne Hill via Croxted Road and Thurlow Park Road to Mitcham tramstop are other cheaper options.

2. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Just to note, it is very much easier changing at Streatham as you do not have to mess around changing platforms which you quite often have to do at Tulse Hill

3. Pink Panther

Fair call assuming you're on the West Croydon service that stops at Streatham, as opposed to the Beckenham Junction service which calls at West Norwood after Tulse Hill.

Harry R likes this.
  4. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I travelled to the Tuesday game for the first time using public transport. Went from Herne Hill to Mitcham via Mitcham Junction. The entire journey took less than 30mins. The trams seem to arrive a few minutes after the trains at Mitcham Junction

If only there were more bars/pubs around the place :(

5. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Good point, I forgot it goes that way as well

6. Pink Panther

That's the best route if you're close enough to a station on it.

Bit of a drinking desert but easy to get back to civilisation and drink elsewhere!

7. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Not sure about pubs but a good option for pre-match food is Box Park next to East Croydon station - for the last couple of weekend games we've gone there before getting the tram to Mitcham, and have spotted quite a few other Hamlet fans doing the same.

Ratface and Harry R like this.
  8. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

If there are any persons who are willing to volunteer to help with stewarding, 50/50 selling it would be greatly appreciated!
    Let me know if you are interested. Thanks

9. Pink Panther

Taylor replaces Ming in only change to Thursday's XI, with Ming replacing Abrahams on the bench.

10. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

2-1 Dulwich

Ricay were 2-0 down , ended 2-2 another last second equalizer
    1 point in it

editor likes this.
  11. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great crowd of over a thousand today and the right result too. Good to see Folkestone being beaten by Dorking too.

Shame about Billericay's inevitable last minute equaliser against a ten man Wingate but it's points dropped for them again.

Up the Hamlet!

13. PartisanDulwich

today's results
    ensured we have a guaranteed a play off place

that in itself is one hell of an achievement

passenger and tonysingh like this.
  14. Pink Panther

Hardly inevitable. They conceded a last minute equaliser last Saturday. If they'd won then and lost today they'd be a point better off.

15. JTee

JTee Well-Known Member

Folkestone have scored 7 goals in their last two games and only picked up 1 point. Looks like we might need to score 3 or 4 next Saturday!

16. PartisanDulwich

If we could just contrive to win all our remaining games (big ask)
    Think we would indeed end up as Champions, given Billericay's erratic form and poor pitch

17. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I think I'd disagree - I think it's very much Billericay's to lose, but they are doing their level best to make it much tighter than it should be.

They have got some massive games to come, as well: Margate (a) comes next week after they've played 4 games in 8 days. They have Dorking on Tuesday and they rolled Folkestone over yesterday. Dorking did a very good job of frustrating them as well - Billericay only beat them 1-0 last time round and the goal came in the 81st minute. Then their very last game is v Folkestone.

Sadly it's not plain sailing for us, either. Folkestone, Margate and Leatherhead are all tough games. Ks won't be easy, too. Importantly though, we don't have that extra game to deal with. Tuesday-Saturday schedules aren't easy, especially at this stage of the season, but they're certainly easier than Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday schedules.

I can really see this going right to the last day of the season. Whether they win it or not, for Billericay, given how much they've spent, that's bloody embarrassing.

jnrknight and Pink Panther like this.
  18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Interesting!

19. Moroccan Sunset

Almost forgot to mention as well: the noise from behind the goal in the second half was incredible. Goes to show how much difference a roof makes. I think sometimes it's quite hard gauge how loud it is when you're in the middle of it, but I was to the side of the pitch and it was as noisy as I've heard the Rabble for a long time. It'll make one heck of a difference for the Margate game in a fortnights time.

20. PartisanDulwich

21. PartisanDulwich

[​IMG]

great photo from @photodunc - great positioning

[​IMG]

22. PartisanDulwich

Live Wanderers internet audio link of Dulwich Hamlet games

I failed to find last Tuesday but managed to find for Thursday V Dorking
    (was very grateful on Thursday as could listen on my phone)
    gather Tom did it on Saturday for Thurrock game

Hows is it developing ?? any more plans ?
    will they be covering Margate game ? if so will it be advertised ?

Realise probably just trialling it

23. Ratface

Ratface New Member

I think it was a good performance and we will beat Kingston and Leatherhead but the other games they look tough.

24. Moroccan Sunset

Tough, yes, but winnable. Don't forget we completely dismantled Folkestone earlier this season (although I think their team sheet looks v strong: Draycott, ter Horst, Yussuff, Blanks all immediately stand out. Cugley is an excellent manager, too).

As PP points out, Margate are very likely to have the second highest budget the division, yet given the rumoured amount that they've spent, they've massively underachieved as well. I know they beat us before, but something is very wrong if you have a team that includes a free-scoring Chiedoze, Frannie Collin, Lenny Pidgeley, the ex-Folkestone captain Liam Friend, ex-Millwall and Southend winger David Martin and Jay May and you're hanging on to the last play off place. There's definitely chinks in their armour somewhere.

They're all tough games, especially when you're playing them with tired legs, but I think Folkestone's the biggest hurdle we have to face.

25. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Totally agree I was at the other end and it was a joy to behold.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  26. PartisanDulwich

Great to see the Nyren Clunis 100th goal commemorative T shirt on sale on Saturday - great legend front design, the back was far more detailed than I expected listing every game he scored in
    well done to those involved

pompeydunc and 3010 like this.
  27. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

quite shocked and saddened that Thurrock are closing at the end of this season. It's their last ever home game at Ship Lane this Saturday. I watched them a fair bit when in London as I have relatives nearby.

They always were a one man band behind the scenes and no one has come forward to carry on his good work. Sad stuff, although i see they are battling hard right until the end.

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  28. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I would not so much suggest 'no-one has come forward' as 'no-one has come forward to buy..."
    A great shame, it's like he's thrown his toys out of the pram. Surely he could have handed the Club over to some sort of fans' consortium, and rented the ground to them. But as I understand he just put the club up for sale, then closed it down, as owner.

B.I.G likes this.
  29. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

In fairness he has been seriously ill for a long time and the club has been on sale since the end of last season.

Prospective buyers have had a chance, I guess, from his perspective, and the area is not short of other teams playing either at Bostik One or Premier level.

It's a real shame.

Pink Panther likes this.
  30. Pink Panther

There's no point worrying about which of the remaining four opponents is the greatest potential banana skin. The bigger danger is in underperforming ourselves. Everyone's played 40+ matches now, we're ahead of all four opponents, which means we're a better team than they are. We've already beaten three of them, the exception being Margate where we lost 0-1 in a dull game with little goalmouth action. They were clearly happy to settle for a 0-0 as their keeper was blatantly timewasting with at least 15 minutes to go. Therefore it was especially annoying that we conceded the only goal five minutes from the end immediately after he'd taken around 15-20 seconds to release the ball with a huge drop kick that led to a corner from which they scored. However, they'll probably need a win on the final day to have a chance of the play-offs, which may not suit their cautious approach. I saw video highlights of their 2-2 draw at Staines on Saturday and they were gutted at the end when the final whistle went. They're struggling to catch up on the top five and they knew they needed to win that one.