Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor Regis - 8th October 16 - Trade Union Day

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Civil service milk train :hmm:

2. YTC

YTC Human Man

3-2 Bognor now.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  3. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Still remember once upon a time when local MPs used to take out a advert in programmes notifying of their local surgery dates & times

darryl and Fingers like this.
  4. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

We don't get free milk. :(:(:(

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Ok, back on topic, I've mostly refrained from replying, not least because here's another tea break gone by having to reply to a thread on here, rather than using it to do other stuff...

But there you go, it's my choice to post and respond, so here goes...

Since joining the Football Committee at the start of the 2012/13 season I've been very conscious of 'thinking outside the box' and trying to initiate unusual things that will gain attention for the Club, rather than just bland, tokenistic statements that you get at other clubs. I like to think that I* have done ok in this...some things work, some don't.
    [* 'I' as in myself, along with the help of many different people, be they Gavin & his staff; the Football Committee; the Supporters' Trust Board, the Forward the Hamlet team & individual supporters who are aligned to none of these]

I have been looking for an angle to promote a special Trade Union Day, with the one-off concessionary rate, and when Fingers, the Community Lead on the Trust Board, approached with his ideas, I decided to merge the two.

Yes, the Trust had the idea of that strand of the day, but it had to be approved by the Football Club Committee & the owners, which has been done. And it also had to be run past the Ryman League, and they have no objections either. In fact they are full of praise for adding another string to the bow of our vast swathe of community initiatives.

Are we a left-wing club? No we are not, and the Football Club has NEVER described itself as such. But we* are proud to be a Football Club that tries to reach out to its local community, and also support things that we believe our local community supports.
    [* I say 'we' as I am the Football Committee member responsible for Community Initiatives, so do feel qualified to speak for the Club, as a Club Official]

We ARE proud to be a club that tries to be both socially responsible & socially inclusive, and whilst you cannot please everyone all of the time, and fans will clearly have differing points of views, I feel we are doing the right thing. As evidenced by being awarded the Barry East Trophy by the Ryman League at their annual meeting in 2015; the volunteers at Dulwich Hamlet Football Club being awarded the Honorary Freedom of the Old Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell at the Southwark Civic Awards this year; & also Dulwich Hamlet being named as the Football Foundation Non-League Community Club of the Year in May, at the National Game Awards, which was held at Stamford Bridge.

Yes, some of the stuff does come across as 'overtly political', but I am in the camp that says 'life is political', and whether you agree with all we do or not, what I ultimately aim for is to enhance the reputation of our Club in the local community, and the wider football world, and to increase our crowds. Together I have no doubt we are all achieving those aims.

For each person you cannot please there will be someone else who approves. And I think, overall, we get more approval than negativity. Long may that continue.

With regard to the Trust, well that is down to individuals to decide. I think people are wrong to resign, but that is their prerogative. Is it representative of our fanbase? Well any organisation is only as strong as the membership, and if you're not happy with the way something is run leaving it makes it harder to change. Far better to fight from within, encourage people who share your views, or don't like the direction the leadership may be taking it, and use your vote at the next AGM. Or, indeed, call a vote of no confidence in the people you are unhappy with on the Board, if there is enough support from the members.

Clapton? A totally different club to Dulwich Hamlet. I go to three or four Clapton games a season, I am happy to stand on the fringes, and enjoy the atmosphere they bring to games. But they do not have an 'ordinary' fanbase, as in an old established one. Only five or six years ago they would only have 20 or 30 at home games, now they get ten to fifteen times that. Attracted by their overtly political Ultras stance, which we do not have, nor do-I personally-want. I love the current mix of fans we have. Though, I do agree, I believe there are a few of our fans, including one or two on the Trust Board, who have wet dreams at night thinking of emulating their fans. truth is, we don't sing-or very rarely sing-overtly political songs, concentrating our chants on getting behind our team. Their constant singing and atmosphere though, knocks spots off of ours, not that it's any sort of contest. They do what's right for them, and they do what's right for us.

All I can do is continue to work with people from all persuasion, from all parts of our Club, to continue to do what I do.

And that work continues-you have heard it here officially on the Urban forum here first- on Saturday 19th November when we are at home to Worthing we shall once more host our Pay-What-You-Like game, which is thanks to the blessing of both our owners at Hadley, and Meadows, in charge of finances, as well as the backing of the Ryman League; the date being chosen this season because it falls on the inaugural Ryman League Community Day. The two beneficiaries that afternoon will be our 2016/17 Club charity partners Football Beyond Borders, and our near neighbours Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground.

To close, as I'm taking up too much limited tea break time on this...I am always open to ideas and suggestions for community work, please to not hesitate to speak to me if you have any, indeed come along to our soon to be announced first Football Committee community & fundraising sub-committee meeting, which will be a 7.30pm on Wednesday 21st September, in the Boardroom at the ground. All welcome who want to get involved, it's not exclusively for Football Committee &/or Trust Board members.

Thank you.

Mishi

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Everyone approved it and no one sees any issue with it - on my own as usual :)

7. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

Great post mishi!

#keepitup

Fingers, editor, Brix69 and 1 other person like this.
  8. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

I noted the other day that Dave Watters (who does PR for a number of leagues) gave us a plug on the Non League Show when talking about Non League Day; along the lines of Dulwich will be disappointed they can't do anything but it won't stop them doing loads of stuff over the season anyway.

9. Effra Eyes

Effra Eyes Active Member

So, are we having Non League Dog Day then?

Scutta and darryl like this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

As my post said...'watch this space'....it may not be practical, but 'watch this space'.

For anything to happen it has to be looked into, then cleared by the Club Committee & the Club owners.

I realise that sounds laborious, but sorry, that's the way things are.

11. Griff_Turnstile

Dogism of the worst kind. Have other pets been considered? If someone wants to bring a cockatoo would they be allowed to slip their cockatoo through the turnstiles. Should pedigree breeds be given the same discounts as mongrels and rescue dogs? This opens a whole can of worms especially if someone keeps worms as pets. And as for Dulwich Village pony club; well that's a horse of a different colour

12. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

it sound labradorious mate.

Scutta, Noss and Dodger like this.
  13. Dulwich Mishi

Possibly, but no what I do I won't please everyone...will still get hounded by someone.

iamwithnail and Scutta like this.
  14. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Hounded and grassed up to admin!

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  15. Jill Desmond

Jill Desmond New Member

Amazing idea. But very disappointing we're not also commemorating the 1873 opening of the very first women's prison to be run by women, opened in Indiana. #gutted #SecretMisogynists!

Fingers, Scutta, Cyclodunc and 2 others like this.
  16. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Was great to discuss this in a grown up way with people on either side at the game today. As opposed to the clusterfuck of this thread.

AndyDHFC, iamwithnail, YTC and 7 others like this.
  17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

So, you and EDC then :)

18. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Far from it you little tinker.

YTC likes this.
  19. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

On one occasion someone took a parrot to a game at Whyteleafe.

20. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Sorry, could you repeat that! :D

AndyDHFC and Pink Panther like this.
  21. Dulwich Mishi

Shaddup, shaddup!*
    (*Old Skool Rabble in-joke!)

AndyDHFC and Pink Panther like this.
  22. Pink Panther

Then we had an "old buzzard" at another game, not to mention an 'aviary'. (Aveley!)

23. Griff_Turnstile

Could be worse - pub in Erith got shut down after a horse was ridden into it

Fingers likes this.
  24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Wtf are you doing here with an attitude like that?

25. Pink Panther

Sounds like the sort of thing your mother would do! (As well as attempting to press-gang your friends into a horse-rustling expedition.)

26. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

27. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

It was Benn that did that.

"Benn told the Commons in December Western military action against Isis was similar to the “fight against Franco” in the 1930s."

Fingers, Lucy Fur and Thimble Queen like this.
  28. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Fingers and Lucy Fur like this.
  29. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

Sorry, I meant the "wrong" parallels. So equating bombing ISIS with the fascists bombing the Republicans. Utterly bizarre.

dcdulwich likes this.
  30. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Late to this debate but I think an excellent idea - anything that makes supporting Hamlet accessible to a new audience is good by me.

If the OP hadnt waffled on about civil wars and Cable Street I think we would have been having a different conversation.

Roll on the 8th and a big crowd, with a new bar to supply them with beer, and all profits going to the club.

editor, darryl and dcdulwich like this.