Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor Regis - 8th October 16 - Trade Union Day

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Go fuck yourself too - enjoy raising your post count

2. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

he has a valid point. :cool:

(as in pickmans does, not you, you are wrong, as the post above demonstrates. lol)

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i would be interested in what conclusions you would draw had another poster said 'i am opposed to anti-fascism'; it is possible if not probable that such a poster would hold other ideas widely reviled by society. when even david cameron, ed miliband and nick clegg can subscribe to the idea that anti-fascism is a good thing, opposing it does leave you in some remarkably dubious company.

Thimble Queen and Fingers like this.
  4. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

maybe we could balance out the perceived leftist activities of the club with a UKIP day.

We could all don our mustard yellow trousers, moan about immigrants getting free houses, free people carriers, free 50 inch plasma teles and free Orange Wednesday tickets all whilst eating cucumber sandwiches, reminiscing about when Britain used to be British and doing fuck all for anyone else.

(I am joking by the way before anyone starts accusing me of accusing them of being racists or something like that)

blueheaven and Pickman's model like this.
  5. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Racist.

Fingers likes this.
  6. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Nah the refugee work was overtly and explicity political.

However i feel about the idea of a trade union day, its disappointing to see so many ppl up in arms about this when the poppy pushing and remembrance stuff doesn't get nearly the same response... it's the status quo so it's fine lol.

And as for tony singh moaning about a previous photographer being asked to leave. This was because he refused to take pictures at the anti homophobia match (not for the first time) on the grounds of his religion and that he didn't want to be seen to promote homosexuality. Rather embarrassingly for the club, said photographer emailed his objection and refusal to the ppl the anti homophobia match was being organised with. They responded asking if any heathen photographers were available!!!

A gay person made a complaint to club after learning about this on social media. Their complaint was on the grounds that refusal to take pictures at an anti homophobia match is an example of direct discrimination under the Equalities Act 2010. Dulwich had no choice, and rightly so, but to dismiss this person because religion is not a defense for discriminating against ppl bc of their sexuality.

Lyham, YTC, jnrknight and 5 others like this.
  7. Scutta

We have that with all the EU graffiti... if you're looking to be associated with Right wing political causes!!!

Pickman's model and Fingers like this.
  8. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Unsurprisingly, there was a complexity to the motivations of British volunteers who joined the International Brigades and it would be naïve to think that far left (if that's the terminology you want to use) political ideology didn't play its part. British Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War by Richard Baxell is a great nuanced read on the subject.

darryl and YTC like this.
  9. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

"They responded asking if any heathen photographers were available!!!"

gotta say I don't recall those words being published anywhere. We simply approached Mike Urban to snap on the day, & further to acting as per Football Association guidelines, we thanked the photographer for his services, whilst explaining why he could no longer be the official Club photographer.

With regard to the rest of this thread...I will respond when I have time, but am not sure exactly when, sometime over the next day or two, but do not have the time to spare to join in it fully.

Suffice to say, as a the Club official, whose duties include community issues, I support it, and am grateful for the support offered by the Trust in helping to arrange the day.

It's mentioned on the official Club website on this piece:

There's Power in this Union! - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

tonysingh likes this.
  10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

That's true but does that matter here, and why? Whatever their motivations you'd couldn't really say they were on the wrong side of history could you?

11. Thimble Queen

The original email from the photographer and the reply were included in the email chain of the complaint which was sent to the committee. Perhaps you didn't read the complaint?

Let's also be clear Dulwich were happy to let the photographer continue in his post despite his refusal to take pictures on grounds of his homophobia. It was only sometime later when a complaint was made that Dulwichs hand was forced. And it was only then that he was told he could no longer be the official photographer. Added to that, it was just lip service anyway bc he still comes along and takes pictures from the pitch along side D&L.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Just to add it seems to me that to refuse to acknowledge people's actions in fighting fascism because of their political motivations for doing so is far more 'political' in the sense that people are moaning about here than what's being proposed.

13. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I knew this would happen

YTC and Scutta like this.
  14. StephenMac

No, I couldn't say that...so I didn't. Was a response to Dave (I think) who seemed to be comparing the Spanish Civil War with his granddad in WWII in an earlier post. Plenty of similarities but just as many differences.

15. StephenMac

Feel free to keep on filling in your own gaps about things I didn't say.

16. Scutta

I dont think they were published anywhere to save blushes from person involved, although you did see the email. Its shame it has to be dragged up like this but Tony needs to stop pushing his agenda when he doesnt actually know the full facts... Dulwich did the right thing and hopefully tony will understand now that it was the correct thing to do and a line can be drawn under his constant poking.................... although it is law anyway.

17. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Perhaps you'd prefer Joel to be banned from the club entirely?

18. tonysingh

My agenda? Ha!

19. Thimble Queen

Well it was ages ago so you'd think we could all just move on now as per the logic on the stewards thread :facepalm:

20. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Fair point - what I was saying was intended to be addressed a bit more generally but if you quote someone it doesn't come across like that.

21. Thimble Queen

Perhaps you could fuck off and stop apologising for homophobes. Unlikely though eh. :thumbs:

Lucy Fur, Fingers and Pickman's model like this.
  22. Scutta

yes...

23. Scutta

i think thats a bit silly....

but i am sure you would hope the club follows the equality act of 2010, or should they ignore that for your mates?

24. Scutta

hardly a left wing agenda...

25. tonysingh

Or perhaps you'd like the club to follow it only in so far as it gets rid of people you dont like?

Ah so now I'm a homophobe too and shouldn't be DHFC.

I do like this new sense of tolerance!

26. StephenMac

Happy to discuss this further at a game. I have had a long-time fascination, and some direct involvement, with anti-fascism in its many guises that includes an admiration of people who put themselves in harm's way to defend the freedom of others. As I mentioned earlier, its something that probably doesn't lend itself to the 'goodies and baddies' binary, shouting-down world of internet forums.

27. Scutta

Not at all. I would hope anyone would be held account to it in an official position...

the problem with you keep bringing it up is it looks worse for him.. as the full details come out. I think if you were a mate you might want to stop...hole digging

I think you are getting confused about tolerance... and your misinformed comments have been tolerated for quite a while considering this was like 2 seasons a go...and noone else keeps bringing it up... E2A... because the club did the right thing and followed the law.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  28. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

Imagine invoking Nazis in a discussion about commemorating a war in which the Nazis were decisive participants. The sheer temerity.

29. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

Proportionate.

Pickman's model and Scutta like this.
  30. Thimble Queen

The guy is a homophobe and refused to do his duty expliciting stating that as the reason, in writing. If you are in job (paid or voluntary) you can't refuse a service on grounds of sexuality (or other protected characteristic). Its the law.

I never called you a homophobe Tony. I called you an apologist for a homophobic photographer. But since you like playing the victim so much OK.

YTC and Pickman's model like this.