Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor Regis - 8th October 16 - Trade Union Day

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Someone said this to me yesterday, when I was struggling to explain what's happened over the past 18 months or so. It's pretty much bang on.

"The initial nouveaux wave was individual weirdos and oddballs, the kind of people who never previously fit anywhere, the kind of people eccentric/bored/lonely enough to go to a small non-league club and "find something there". In the 70s we'd have started the early punk bands. But more recently, it's been established groups of friends, more normal people, who don't need to mingle and often view us with amusement."

To the old school DHFC fans - I have utmost respect for all of you and any conversations I have with nouveaux fans re how the crowd mix has changed over the past couple of years obviously do not apply to you. It's more a reflection on the type of people that are now being attracted - the 2013 new DHFC fan is a very different beast (on the whole) to the 2015 onwards new fan. You're all still the same, and we love you for it.

darryl, Lucy Fur and magneze like this.
  2. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

For me the 'earlier nouveaux wave' (for want of a better phrase...) might have included weirdos and oddballs but it also included a lot of people who had put in a lot of hours at a lot of (often lower league and non-league) football matches. For me it had the better bits of going to watch Lincoln City without the decades of accumulated bitterness some people have there and much closer to home. I really don't think that's the case with the majority of the newer people (I'm sure a lot of them have watched a lot of Liverpool/Man U on TV).

That's not to slag anyone off - there's nothing wrong with not having spent loads of miserable Saturdays on crumbling terraces in the rain, and the older fans could just as easily complain about us - but it does change the atmosphere IMO and when you get a load of people waving their keys around it does make me cringe a bit.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Surely John Beck, Graham Taylor and Dave Bassett would be more appropriate on that sticker than Klopp!

darryl likes this.
  5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

2 out of 3 former Lincoln managers. Always forward thinking.:D

darryl likes this.
  6. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

I don't think weirdos and people who'd been to football before are mutually exclusive.

Scutta and Cyclodunc like this.
  7. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Definitely not.;)

I wasn't trying to say they were.

Scutta and vornstyle76 like this.
  8. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

I'm a 2014 new fan so not sure where that puts me.

EDC and Scutta like this.
  9. all to nah

all to nah Well-Known Member

As some of you might know I'm publishing a weekly mini-perzine about my life in Barcelona this season. The 9th issue is about the last weekend and will come in pink and blue. It's written in (very german) English. If you're interested in it, send a mail to blau-zine@gmx.de and I'll send you the pdf-file and an introduction. The zine will be available at the Megacontainer as well - more information will follow.

[​IMG]

10. all to nah

First I forgot to credit Cyclodunc for his photo in the zine - and than I forgot to do so for a second time in the last post. Sorry, Cyclodunc!

:facepalm:

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  11. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

So much for German efficiency...;)
    I blame the Danes! ;)

12. all to nah

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  13. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of an isolated society: a market for great telly.
    TV over the last few years has been friggin' ace.

Scutta likes this.
  14. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

Just about to start Ray D.

Christian Burt likes this.