Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor Regis - 8th October 16 - Trade Union Day

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Crap.

Thought Sekajja was bright though, deserved his goal.

darryl likes this.
  2. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

3. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Completely unacceptable performance.

StephenMac likes this.
  4. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Last two home games.... 1-4, and 1-3. Second half today was the most bored I've ever been at Champion Hill. Tactic seems to be lets try something that obviously isn't working until it does. It's bullshit and lazy.

5. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Thought the teams were fairly evenly matched today, a bit of cancelling each other out. Can't say that they had a standout player that caught the eye.

Substitutions came too late, would have hooked Danny Carr for Teniola after 60 mins. Not sure why Tomlin didn't start. Sweet free kick from Ash at the end inches away but too little too late. Nyren best as always when wide right and hitting the byline. Chambers doesn't seem up for it - presume Green injured which was why he started? Would have subbed him instead of Ming who I thought played well.

Saw Dean Lodge scored for Met Police! And Sandy Cunningham played last 35 mins for Grays.

darryl and StephenMac like this.
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

I suppose it's a bit like a relationship, I really enjoyed it at first (those barmy away days in D1S, Erhun with his passion and drive), now after 4 years it's become stale, predictable too comfortable. I now look forward to it being over (leaving to beat the rush how sad is that!)

toby kempton likes this.
  7. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

really? (Re: evenly matched) Thought we were far too easily pushed off the ball, Bognor weren't great, but we were just terrible, lots of frenetic-ness, not much purpose.

I commented at about 80 minutes that I hadn't realised Ash was playing (possibly at the free kick?). Was stuck next to a bunch of tourists and even they were saying "Why do they keep doing the same thing over and over though, it's obviously not working?", which was fair. No idea why we keep lumping in these high balls, they're not working. Feel like teams have got the measure of how to defeat what's been a pretty effective system for us. Did we get many/any onto heads/feet in the box today?

8. Bugpowder Dust

Harrow performance was far worse than today. Their third was well offside too. It wasn't like they were playing silky football or peppering our goal.

Just a well organised workmanlike team able to capitalise on mistakes and keep it tight at the back.

pompeydunc and Poids like this.
  9. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

We have so much resources than them. So, essentially we've lost in another terrific encounter with Bognor...who Jamie Howell has managed to put a great team together with, despite losing 4 of the most coveted players in the league. We were, well, poor.

clog and darryl like this.
  10. StephenMac

They're very much at the classy end of workmanlike.

11. Bugpowder Dust

Great celebration too!

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  12. StephenMac

That's ridiculously harsh on Ash. I know it's fashionable to do so these days but why are you picking him out?

Scutta, scousedom and pompeydunc like this.
  13. PartisanDulwich

When were doing really well in the conference
    can we remember those who supported us in hard times

dcdulwich likes this.
  14. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking, it's not about hard times, I don't think our expensive squad is going through hard times (playing in front of 2000 fans, and being well paid for this level!) is hardly hard times! More like devoid of any passion times!

15. PartisanDulwich

surely two strong defenders
    we need to stop leaking goals

16. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sounds it a bit, wasn't particularly meant as singling him out. Just I've generally been quite a fan, felt he was (almost literally) anonymous today. My view was I got in about 10-15 minutes in, watched the rest of the first half, and then wasn't until late in the second half noticed that he was actually playing. He's an absolutely stomping player when he's on his game, and I was genuinely surprised to 'notice' him late on. YMMV.

StephenMac likes this.
  17. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Thank you for at least mentioning the result. Yes, I ended up looking it up on the Ryman website but it would have been nice to see it here first. Congratulations on your attendance but there's "focusing on the positives" and actually giving out relevant information. I actually thought the score was 0-0 or 1-1 before your I looked up the result. Shit happens. FFS! We're on the left aren't we? We should be used to shit happens. Makes us celebrate the good more when we actually get some.

Fingers and passenger like this.
  18. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

I actually thought Ash was one of the few who had an OK game. He puts his foot on the ball, tries to be positive, and finds his man with a pass, which is more than the others around him were managing.

Sadly I thought Bognor were significantly better than us, in terms of both organisation and workrate, and it was a very deserved win for them. The really sad thing for me is just how devoid of ideas we look. And there's just no passion or urgency in our team. I don't really care whether or not we play nice football - I just want to see a team that will work hard for each other and dig in to get the points. Way too often this season our players have looked like they've never even met each other before kick-off.

I'd like to see us go back to basics, simplify the system and the formation. Ditch the one-striker formation because, to be honest, it hasn't worked for us since Erhun left. He was good enough to effectively be two players on the pitch for us - a box-to-box midfielder and a supporting striker. No one else has played the number 10 role effectively and no striker since he left (with the exception of perhaps Akinyemi) has managed to be effective through the middle on their own. Daniel Carr is just the latest to look absolutely lost and I struggle to believe he's a player who has spent the last few years in the professional game. And he's far from the only one who just doesn't look good enough at the moment, from the goalkeeper all the way up the pitch (incidentally, surely I can't be the only one thinking we should have hung on to Phil Wilson?).

Some of today's decisions from the manager were baffling and I'm hoping they were enforced by injury rather than strategic, otherwise we're in even more of a mess than it seems. Did Ming go off because of a knock? Where was Green? Why didn't Tomlin start, and why did he come on and play as a deep midfielder? Why can't Clunis just be told to stay on the right (or at least try to use his left foot)?

On the bright side, Sekajja looked quite tricky, especially in the second half when he got a bit more involved. Wonder how long that'll last before he goes the same way as most of our other new signings. (Sorry, that last comment is incredibly negative, I know).

19. StephenMac

Only said it because I thought he made most of the good stuff in the first half. Was limited good stuff it has to be said.

pompeydunc likes this.
  20. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

Glad I wasn't there to see my bar scarf banner being nicked... as I my have been nicked myself as a result. Thanks for all rallying around to get it back!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    all to nah, clog, YTC and 3 others like this.
  21. StephenMac

You seem to have mistaken this board for a results service. I'd recommend Twitter or Football Web Pages.

22. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Every match thread I've seen in the last half dozen or so has included the score, often in an amended headline. I'd prefer to read Urban than Twitter any day of a year on Neptune.

DonkeyAssessor and editor like this.
  23. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

What did they do this time?

24. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

They took down Scolly's massive bar scarf and (so I heard) stashed it in one of their bags. Security told them to return it or get booted out. Shame they have an arsehole contingent as most of the Bognor fans I met yesterday were ace.

darryl likes this.
  25. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

No need for such bellendery tbh.

26. Fingers

27. Fingers

28. Fingers

29. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

By and large they're a nice bunch, but they always have an arsehole contingent. See the innumerable cheap comments about playing in pink every time we go there.

StephenMac, Thimble Queen and Fingers like this.
  30. Fingers

Not to mention one of our female fans getting groped last time we went...

Moroccan Sunset likes this.