Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor Regis - 8th October 16 - Trade Union Day

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

you should read the spin off about the trust too :thumbs: :D

2. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

Just one more thing... "the refugee stuff" is much more political than this event. It is an on-going political controversy that results in people dying, people living in misery. The refugee collection etc. played a small but collectively important role in raising awareness, arguing the politically controversial corner and physically alleviating some of the worst extremes of that misery.

In contrast: Trade union membership is about 6.4 million in the UK, it remains a common part of day-to-day life, and the Spanish Civil War is safely historic having ending 77 years ago.

3. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

This highlighted, and the rest of his post.

4. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

I've only just got back to the office after a really nasty three week illness.

As highlighted by Vornstyle, membership of Trade Unions is at nearly six and a half million. Without wanting to sound like some prat in marketing, that itself is a great reason to have a promotion of TUs with a discounted rate. Which is probably why both the football committee and trust committee members had absolutely no problem with this.

I'm with Unite, if I get in half price I won't be complaining.

And as an aside, surely everyone knows each other on here, at the very least through a quick chat: so some of the personal stuff *nothing worse than a forum descending into eff this and eff that* is uncalled for.

Draw a line time.

StephenMac, editor and Scutta like this.
  5. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Bloody hippy ;) Glad you're feeling better mate, are you down on Saturday?

6. Christian Burt

Unsure mate - probably missing most of this month for work reasons too

7. Lucy Fur

Shame, hopefully see you soon.

Christian Burt likes this.
  8. Scutta

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

it really isn't 'safely historic'. on one level being as people still argue over e.g. the french revolution, the british civil wars of the 17th century, not to mention the reformation, something which happened within living memory isn't in fact dead. secondly, the franco regime only ended in 1975, which many of us here can still remember. and thirdly the shadow of the franco regime and the spanish civil war still falls across spanish society today. just because something doesn't greatly affect us in our everyday lives in the uk doesn't mean it is safely and solely historical.

Griff_Turnstile and darryl like this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

"I'm with Unite, if I get in half price I won't be complaining."

Though, we do, of course, welcome all current Hamlet fans to pay the full rate admission if they can do so, in support of the Club. If the income drops substantially it may have an effect on future promotions.

Yes, we do this because it's right, and promotes the Club, but it's also aimed at attracting new support....but go with your conscience, comrades! ;)

Scutta likes this.
  11. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Who is arguing about the British civil war?

12. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

If you mean the English Civil War then Dulwich was actually one of the few places in London loyal to the crown!

13. Christian Burt

My own personal austerity probably means I'll claim the half-price!!

Dulwich Mishi and Scutta like this.
  14. Pickman's model

london was considerably smaller at the time and some miles from dulwich. not to mention that slavish loyalty to the crown at that time not something to be boasting of.

Thimble Queen and Scutta like this.
  15. Scutta

Bloody tories and housing costs! ..... oh shit wrong thread!!:D:thumbs:

Christian Burt likes this.
  16. Scutta

I really hope this thread morphs into an argument about this. YTC now time for your popcorn gif.

clog, YTC and Pickman's model like this.
  17. Pickman's model

civil warS. there was not one simple 'english civil war' being as there was stuff going on in scotland, wales, ireland too. and lots of people are, historians most notably but also other people - people like the levellers, the people who go to burford every year. there was a demonstration outside parliament a couple of weeks ago by irish republicans against the cromwell society's annual wreath laying, against there being a statue of cromwell outside parliament at all. it's not as dead as you seem to think.

Joe K likes this.
  18. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

These people just need to move on :D :thumbs:

Joe K likes this.
  19. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

<Takes question at face value>

The English Civil War, and the broader wars in Britain around the time, tend to be interpreted across fault lines based on politics (i.e. left-wingers following Christopher Hill's argument that the ECW was a class war despite its putatively religious basis; liberals and right-wingers insisting this is too rigid a reading). You've also got the ongoing controversy around the Nairn-Anderson thesis that the ECW was an 'incomplete bourgeois revolution' which means that England has never undergone an event similar to, say, the French Revolution to bring its politics into full liberal modernity. Whether or not you agree with this has implications for contemporary political practice.

As Pickman's Model says, there are also huge issues around memorialisation/ commemoration, particularly in Ireland, and I also think there's been an ideological commandeering of this whole idea of Cavalier sassiness/ sexiness/ flashiness by right-wingers like Boris Johnson in recent years - I've certainly seen it as a stick used to beat alleged 'Roundheads' like Corbyn for their alleged 'dourness'.

(Sorry, I'm teaching Milton next week and this seemed a good place to rehearse some ideas.)

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. Christian Burt

Swaggering dandies is definitely cavalier-esque

darryl, Thimble Queen, Joe K and 2 others like this.
  21. Joe K

Picks up petrol can, holds it, poised, over fire:

BUT THE CAVALIERS WERE BAD TORIES

Scutta likes this.
  22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I blame that Pink Panther with his swanky Charles I affectations.:(

AndyDHFC likes this.
  23. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

There is no other kind.

Joe K likes this.
  24. Joe K

Sorry, there was a second or third layer of basically aimless parody in that about the Scouser/ Manc tendency to put a redundant 'bad' in front of things that are already bad, i.e. 'someone's being a bad dickhead on this thread, like'.

25. Cyclodunc

the levellers need to stop worrying about this and concentrate on making music again

clog likes this.
  26. Pickman's model

ftfy

27. Lucy Fur

No....no they don't. There is no requirement for any new levellers material, and precious little for that which exists.

28. Effra Eyes

Effra Eyes Active Member

Don't know about anyone else, but after reading this thread, I'm really looking forward to Dog Day

YTC, darryl, scousedom and 2 others like this.
  29. Cyclodunc

Can someone start up a british civil wars thread please?

30. Pickman's model

You're showing leadership tendencies, you do it

Scutta likes this.